superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:15:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling all Supergirl Fans!!!!  (Read 7891 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: June 05, 2006, 05:19:21 PM »

Since you all did such a great job on the Superboy entry, the next one that needs a whole lot of help is Supergirl. While her death is technically in cannon, since it happen in Crisis and anything Crisis is NOT in canon, then it's void. In other words, as far as the Supermanica goes she is alive as well.

Her entry is different from the Superboy in that the fine people who worked on it, did it from comics NOT from TGSB, mostly Klar Ken T5477.

Clearly we don't want to just discard all of his hard work, but rather incorporated into the entry.

The reason being that unlike Superboy, the TGSB is loaded with Supergirl info!

I can add all the TGSB stuff myself, then let you all have at it, fixing my many typos that I didn't catch Wink and incorporating the current entry into it as needed and as well as adding new info, making sections and all that good caring that Supergirl needs. Her entry should be just as good as Superboy's, if we work together we can make it happen.

Once I finish the TGSB stuff, I will let you know here and you all can have at it.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 06:40:04 PM »

ok...

Have at it Smiley

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 08:47:05 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
While her death is technically in cannon, since it happen in Crisis and anything Crisis is NOT in canon, then it's void. In other words, as far as the Supermanica goes she is alive as well.

I'm not sure we can do that, and here's why:

In Superman 414, Superman takes Kara's body back to her parents in Kandor.  This tale is not only written by the very canonical Elliot S! Maggin, and not only takes place well before the canonical cut-off point of Superman 423, but it is also the origin of Superboy Prime, who is in Supermanica because of this story!  I don't see how we can use some of the story in Supermanica but toss out the bits we may not like.  Either a story is canonical or it isn't.  And I would say that any ES!M story by definition has to be.

I could be wrong, but I believe this was already discussed a while back, and the consensus was that we had to include both the death and the secret marriage.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 09:21:36 PM »

yes, but there is a loophole!

I give you the final Alan Moore story, Supergirl is both dead and alive in that one.

While she may have died in the present, she is still alive and well in the future! She can grow up there until she is older and come back, problem solve! Alan Moore's genius gave DC writers an out if they really wanted to bring her back, and he also gave us a out, simply by adding, "according to Superman# 423 and Action Comics #583  a young Supergirl is still alive and a member of the Legion of Super-heroes in the 30th century."

Smiley

- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 09:29:11 PM »

Yeah, I see what you mean...

Its OK with me, unlike some here I actually like the Crisis in that I didn't see anyone acting out of character, its a big story and Kara died trying to preserve the complex DC universe of the previous 30 years...I just hate the bungled post-Crisis...

I can go and add it back...
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 09:31:03 PM »

LOL, I think there needs to be a Council of Loopholes... Cool

And the grey area I think was agreed on in previous threads is OK with me, though I like the Crisis OK, I have no particular desire to include its issues....
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 09:55:55 PM »

Sounds more like a Legion of Loop Holes. And the collected Crisis is at my library so I can finally catch up on that steaming pile 20 years after the fact.

I flipped thru it and remembered I still don't like Perez's artwork nor Kara's headband. Yuch.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 10:18:50 PM »

Well, I'm old school myself, didn't even like the Bronze Age Supergirl get-ups...give me some standard skirt or shorts and some regular old boots and I'm an OK pre-adolescent... Cool

Its not like the Wolfie prose in Crisis is high literature either, mostly just standing around and giving a bunch of heroes one line to say...the real work after DC's desire to have an epic (bosh on the multiple universes being too complicated baloney excuse) was in the scripting of creative and sound reboots that take into account what are the implications of having all time and matter and history from billions of years of alternate realities being squashed into one... :?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L