superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe SUNSTONEHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:05:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swipes of Bob Kane  (Read 7811 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 10:37:03 AM »

Ive seen the Bat and there's even a bat signal but you know what-- if I could have a Bob Kane drawing in my collection Id darn well would!  (even if its by Shelly Moldoff)

Hey Ive got strips out there with my created by cred - Im not drawing or writing them but theyre based on characters I first wrote about in the Weekly World News aided and abetted by own personal Julie Schwartz!   I even call my cred a "Bob Kane" and really whats the difference between what BK and what  the newspaper cartoonists did?
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 04:08:20 AM »

It's hard to believe there's not a Bat-Boy by Bob Kane story out there.

Cheesy

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 01:26:29 PM »

I agree it's not right to deny Kane at least some credit.  On the other hand, he spent most of his life denying that anyone BUT him deserved credit for anything related to Batman, so you could argue he started it!

Mark Waid, Evanier and others have done a good job over the years pointing out all the ways Kane "ripped off" various pulps and earlier comics, but there seems to be some underlying assumption that a concept like Batman has to be somehow totally original to be of worth.  In fact, there's been almost no characters in the history of comics who couldn't trace their origins back to some predecessor in mythology, pulp fiction, comics, movies, etc...including Superman.  Shelley Moldoff, a great artist of the Golden Age, swiped most of his Hawkman art from Flash Gordon, and Joe Shuster's Superman is pretty much Roy Crane's Captain Easy.  What makes Kane's case different is that he was the only creator to stubbornly insist his inspiration came not from stories he read in the immediate past, but from a direct transmission from the Almighty, making "Batman" the first divine writings since the Gospels.  And it's hard to find much to admire in a guy who lived off the work of others without at least acknowledging their contributions...in fact steadfastly denying them!

It's interesting to see where those famous panels came from, just as it was interesting to learn the cover to Detective #27 was swiped from an Alex Raymond "Flash Gordon" panel.  In time we'll no doubt figure out where every panel Kane 'drew" was swiped from.  But in fairness it should be remembered that no one in 1939 imagined for a moment that comic books would have a shelf life beyond the month they were published.  It was work to be turned out fast, and then forgotten.  Kane swiped stuff not only because he had to (he was a humor artist assigned to produce a dramatic strip, and thus in over his head) but also to meet a deadline.  If he'd known we'd still be reading this stuff 70 years later, maybe he'd have taken the time to do something truly original.  But odds are it wouldn't have looked as good even if he had.

And while I'm no expert, Super-Monkey, there's plenty of comics historians who are, and they remain in agreement that Kane contributed art to at least the first year or so of Detective strips, the first few issues of Batman and a number of the newspaper strips (since it was his dream job, as it was any artist of the day).  Also, a few 60s stories are credited to Kane, and unless they had a nine-year old on staff at DC at the time, I can't imagine anyone else I'd credit that artwork to.

This looks like a job for...
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 07:16:03 AM »

It's neat to see the facts come out over time... I have Kane's autobiography "Batman & Me" and he makes it sound like he either created every Bat-character or oversaw it's creation and took the credit.  In his defense, though, if I created an icon like Batman, I may do the same!

I enjoy the book a bit, but Kane sounded pompous and full of himself.
MichaelBailey
Superman Emergency Squad

This Ain't No Sippin' Tea

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 06:41:24 PM »

However, Bob Kane didn't swipe it, since Bob Kane never ever drew ANY Batman comic ever in his life.

Say it, brother! 

Anyway, if you want some good insight into what Bob Kane was like and what motivated him check out Gerard Jones' Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters and the Birth of the Comic Book.  Great book and the paperback has more on Jerry Siegel than the harcover did.

Just wait until you read about the clown paintings that Kane "did".  Funny stuff.

"I now own well over 13,000 comic books.  Most people would call this a hobby.  I prefer to call it was it actually is; a hopeless addiction." -MRB
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L