superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:19:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Batman era is your favorite?  (Read 25839 times)
Richard Grayson
Superman Fan

« on: June 11, 2006, 01:46:16 AM »

Batman has changed a lot over the years. Some of the different "types" of Batman I have seen are:*

1939-1941: An early Batman. From the days when he carried a gun and fought werewolves.
1941-1949: The war-time Batman and Robin
1950s: The "campy" Batman and Robin

Beyond this I don't really know what I am talking about so I will let older wiser people fill in the gap between the 60's and the present day.

Who is your favorite and why?

Me? I like the WWW II stories. They just seem like the most exciting.

*The dates are general. Correct me if I got something majorly wrong.

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 02:35:27 AM »

I wouldn't called the 1950's campy...

1950's: Sci-Fi era, Batman in Space! Aliens and other wacky elements invade the Batman comic, during this time superheroes went out of style and sci-fi was huge, Superman and Batman survive by becoming Sci-Fi hero books, worked perfect for Superman, Batman, well not so much, but it sure has lots of charm.
1960's: Campy TV Show era, the Batman TV Show becomes such a huge hit, that DC decides to market the comic to the TV viewers in order to cash in on the fad, so the comic now is just like the TV show.
1970's: Return of the true Dark Night (Neal Adams), Neal Adams and friends bring Batman back to the 30's and 40's vibe updated for the times, considered by many Batman's best era.
1980's: Frank Miller/Crisis Darker era , Crisis, Year One and Dark Night Returns set the mode for all stories to follow.
1990's: Darker still era, Batman's back gets broken, new Robin, lots of crappy new heroes and gimmicks.l
2000's: Grim cold black era: Batman never smiles, he can defeat anyone even gods, might be more powerful than Darkseid and Superman combine somehow, Batman acts like a complete jerk, and doesn't get along with any other hero.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 02:45:15 AM »

There was some stuff from the 50s that was probably a bit silly, but that was when he and Robon set themselves apart as heroes using normal abilities in all kinds of mysterious situations, and gave him his individuality for me...
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 07:05:42 AM »

I have a certain fondness for the silliness of the 1950s (Bat-Hound in his mask is one of the most charming ideas ever), but by and large I'm probably more of a 1970s man. The first Batman story I ever read featured the Scarecrow and took place in an abandoned amusement park (I can't remember where it appeared). It scared the beejeezus out of me.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 12:54:22 PM »

I liked the 70's myself.  Some of the 50's stories were quite good, however.

Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 05:01:04 PM »

The Timm/Dini-derived works deserve special mention for the 1990s, being light years ahead of what was going on in the mainstream Bat-Books.  The Ty Templeton / Dan Slott Batman Adventures was certainly the best Batman comic going until its recent cancellation.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 06:02:32 PM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
The Timm/Dini-derived works deserve special mention for the 1990s, being light years ahead of what was going on in the mainstream Bat-Books.  The Ty Templeton / Dan Slott Batman Adventures was certainly the best Batman comic going until its recent cancellation.

Yes, but those were not considered Cannon, but they were way, way, way better than the cannon comics.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 06:49:47 PM »

The Neal Adams Batman and the one draw by Marshall Rogers are great for me but (maybe i'm not so popular in saying this but i like so much the Batman characterized by Grant Morrison in JLA).                                              

S!  S!  S!

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L