superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:37:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Batman era is your favorite?  (Read 25272 times)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2006, 03:23:06 AM »

Richard Grayson writes:

I would really appreciate it if you could all keep the language in your posts very clean. Otherwise my dad will see to it that I'm off this website faster than a speeding bullet....

Wha...?  Why was I thinking you were older than most of us?  Or were you making a joke like when Johnny Carson said to an 80-something George Burns, "You've had an amazing career, haven't you? Going all the way back to vaudeville!"  and George answered, "Yes, my parents are very proud of me!"

I think as far as art goes you have to ask what the illustrators were aiming for. The older illustrators weren't trying to draw Batman the way it is drawn now. It's a completely different style just like the TV show is different from the comics. It also seems to me that the different eras may have been (unintentionally) aimed at different audiences. The 60's stuff seems to be for younger kids than the stuff from the 40's, and the modern stuff appears to be for a much older audience.

I think comics, like cartoons, started out for all audiences and only over time became "kid's stuff."  As for the modern stuff, I don't know who it's aimed at.  It's certainly not suitable for children, but it's hard to imagine it appealing to anyone over 12.

Batman got his back broken? Do I want to know how?

Short answer?  No you don't.

Long(er) answer: Batman's back was broken by a third-rate villain named Bane in the "Knightfall" storyline back in the early 90s.  It was part of an effort to darken up the series with all sorts of violence and angst and bring a new "realism" to the books.  So of course at the end of the storyline Batman is magically healed by the touch of his super-powered girlfriend.  And having had several months to search the world and his soul from a wheelchair, Bruce Wayne makes a life-changing decision that affects the books for the next few years.  Specifically, he decides not to wear his underwear on the outside of his leotards any more.

In other words, a total waste of time and money and you're better off oblivious.

I found a Batman website that starts off with "In the beginning, a criminal killed his parents. In the end, a criminal killed him." DC killed Batman? How could they? Was it only on Earth 2?

I'm drawing a blank on which story this quote is from, but yes it refers only to the Earth-2 Batman, who was killed by a temporarily super-powered nobody in a late 70s issue of Adventure Comics.  The story itself was pretty bad, but Alan Brennert and a couple of other writers did manage to use Batman's death as the inspiration for some great stories later on.

TELLE writes:

I wanted to post that Frank Miller image of Batman saying "Watch ...wach your language." But can't find it --maybe I dreamed it.

It's from "Dark Knight Returns," near the end of issue 3.  A kid at the carnival tells Batman to go kick Joker's a--  but before he can finish, Batman, holding his bleeding side, tells the kid to watch his language.

A memorable moment that showed Miller at least kind of understood Batman once upon a time.  In the current All-Star Batman, Bruce cusses out the very young Dick Grayson and seems to hate kids in general.

This looks like a job for...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2006, 03:38:34 AM »

A few of my favorite Batman tales:

http://bat.mulu.nu/origin/
I really love the whole Joe Chill thing

http://bat.mulu.nu/crimson/
I like Trevor von Eeden, and seeing Batman call Robin "Chum."

http://bat.mulu.nu/autobiography/
I believe Mr. Grayson was asking about the Earth-2 Batman - this is a beautiful story.

And last but not least
http://bat.mulu.nu/player/
which I found to be a very powerful story.

I also really enjoyed Dark Knight Returns, and I still do, in spite of the bad fallout.

S!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 05:29:40 PM by Great Rao » Logged

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2006, 04:47:48 AM »

Quote from: "Richard Grayson"
Thank you Super Monkey for completing the time line.

I would really appreciate it if you could all keep the language in your posts very clean. Otherwise my dad will see to it that I'm off this website faster than a speeding bullet....

Whaaa? I didn't cuss at all, actually this message board is rigged so that cuss words are automaticlly censored, if it misses any, I will delete them when I catch them, tell your dad that this is a family site and proud of it! All the words that I used in that post could be use in any Disney cartoon, so relax. You have nothing to worry about.

Batman got his back broken? Do I want to know how?

No, no you don't and you dad would surely rip up that comic... if he has any taste!

I found a Batman website that starts off with "In the beginning, a criminal killed his parents. In the end, a criminal killed him." DC killed Batman? How could they? Was it only on Earth 2?

Yes, that Batman was based on the 30's, 40's and 50's Batman. It's all true... on Earth-2.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2006, 06:22:35 AM »

Code:
I wanted to post that Frank Miller image of Batman saying "Watch ...wach your language." But can't find it --maybe I dreamed it.

Heh, heh! You didn't dream it: it's in DKR #3, when Batman is pursuing the Joker in the fairground. I'd scan it if I had an operational scanner...

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2006, 06:25:29 AM »

It's from "Dark Knight Returns," near the end of issue 3. A kid at the carnival tells Batman to go kick Joker's a-- but before he can finish, Batman, holding his bleeding side, tells the kid to watch his language.

A memorable moment that showed Miller at least kind of understood Batman once upon a time. In the current All-Star Batman, Bruce cusses out the very young Dick Grayson and seems to hate kids in general.

Of course, I could just have read the other replies in the thread first and said "Yeah, what Nightwing said."

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2006, 06:38:49 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned some of the eighties Batman stuff yet.

I actually didn't think much of the eighties stuff, in no small part because the art often let the bat-titles down (with the exception of the Miller stuff, especially Year One -- when Mazzuchelli drew that, he had just spent a few years in Paris, which seemed to have paid off tremendously).

Also, I didn't think much of Jason Todd, a sentiment in which I was clearly not alone since the readers voted to have him killed. Incidentally, DC appear to have reneged even on that now, as my understanding is that Jason has returned to Gotham and is wreaking havoc everywhere.

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2006, 06:50:14 AM »

Quote from: "Permanus"
Also, I didn't think much of Jason Todd, a sentiment in which I was clearly not alone since the readers voted to have him killed.

As has been quoted many times since the call-in; Jason lost his life by 7 votes.  Not a big majority, especially considering that most of the "kill him" votes were multiply cast.  One could vote as many times as one felt like calling a dedicated 900 number.
Incidentally, DC appear to have reneged even on that now, as my understanding is that Jason has returned to Gotham and is wreaking havoc everywhere.

Like they did with Superboy Prime, DC has re-cast another of their best and brightest as a deranged lunatic.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2006, 07:33:26 AM »

Quote from: "Permanus"

Also, I didn't think much of Jason Todd, a sentiment in which I was clearly not alone since the readers voted to have him killed. Incidentally, DC appear to have reneged even on that now, as my understanding is that Jason has returned to Gotham and is wreaking havoc everywhere.

The original Earth-1 Jason Todd was a completely different character, now almost forgotten.  I "discovered" Jason-1 a couple years ago, and I've been slowly collecting his appearances in Pre-Crisis Batman and Detective Comics.  Yes, he WAS somewhat of a "Dick Grayson clone" (ANOTHER orphaned circus acrobat?), but Jay was a thoroughly likeable kid who was still "learning the ropes" when he was retconned after Batman #400 (along with supporting Batfamily members Julia Remarque and Daphne Pennysworth).  Glimpses of this Jason was seen in Infinite Crisis, implying that his original background was altered to the street punk version due to Superboy-Prime's retcon-punches.  Well, at least DC didn't bring Jay back to die (yet) or utterly destroy him like poor Superboy-Prime.   Sad

DTO
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L