superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:25:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman Day's Super-boy  (Read 16900 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2006, 03:40:16 AM »

I received a package in the mail from the original Superboy himself, Bill Aronis, containing a bunch of photos - including some with Charles Atlas!  They'll be online shortly.

S!

Edit: photos are here with discussion of same here.

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2006, 08:07:25 AM »

Wonderful news, Great Rao!  I'm looking forward to seeing these photos.  Did any of these pictures include Maureen Reynolds?

DTO
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 04:25:20 PM »

DTO suggested a tribute of the 1st live Superman, Supergirl and Superboy.

I'm on it.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 05:01:24 AM »

Just saw the cover to Superboy #4 (original series).

A great image that reminded me of all this Superman day stuff.
Superboy carrying a boy and girl with question mark faces --maybe a contest inside that issue?) from 1949 I think.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2006, 12:51:36 AM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
Just saw the cover to Superboy #4 (original series).

A great image that reminded me of all this Superman day stuff.
Superboy carrying a boy and girl with question mark faces --maybe a contest inside that issue?) from 1949 I think.

"Superboy" #4 (from Sept.-Oct. 1949) featured a "Why I Like Superboy" contest for readers to write in and tell why they liked Superboy; the two winners appeared in "Superboy" #7 (from 1950). A synopsis (from: http://darkmark6.tripod.com/superboyind1.htm):

>>Superboy No. 7
March-April 1950
Cover: Superboy vs. Humpty Dumpty //John Sikela
Story: “Around the World With Superboy” (12 pages)
Editor: Whitney Ellsworth
Writer:
Artist: Wayne Boring
Feature Character: Superboy (last appearance in ADVENTURE COMICS #150)
Intro: Doris Faris and Fred Leeds of Earth-One (only appearance for both)
GS: Mayor Higgins (last appearance in issue #5)
Comment: Doris Faris of Chicago, Illinois and Fred Leeds of Cincinnatti, Ohio were the winners of the “Why I Like Superboy” contest, and their likenesses and names are used in this story.
Synopsis: Doris Faris and Fred Leeds, the winners of the “Why I Like Superboy” contest, are brought to Smallville with an airport reception headed by Superboy.  The Boy of Steel promises to grant their most heartfelt wishes.  Doris says she would like to take a round-the-world trip, and Fred wants to see Superboy use all his super-powers.  Superboy combines the two, using his powers on a round-the-world trip on which he takes them.  He tells them that there is a puzzle connected with the places they visit, and they deduce it at the end...the first letters of Formosa, Rhodesia, Etah, Donghoi, Dera Bust, Old Faithful, Rio de Janeiro, Iran, and Smallville spell out FRED and DORIS.<<

Wonder if Doris and Fred these days still have their winning appearance issues (or recall entering).

Amusing to see the synopsis refer to 'em in the Superboy story as "the Doris Laris and Fred Leeds of Earth-One"; guess their Earth-1 counterparts would've stayed the same youthful age as Superman all these decades while their real-life counterparts aged... unless they were in the same "historical character" boat as FDR, the Beatles, and JFK... ;-)

The contest and its winners are referred to in a text page in "New Adventures of Superboy" #2 (a piece explaining the various time-eras Superboy's been depicted in over the decades, plus the then-recent move of Superboy's decade into the sixties).

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 12:47:20 PM »

Wow, thanks for that synopsis.

I often wonder what happened to super-fans of yesteryear, especially the ones with Canadian addresses I see in old lettercols.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L