superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:38:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman's birthday  (Read 9714 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: June 12, 2006, 02:47:26 PM »

Did comics ever celebrate Superman's birthday? What is the designated day?

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 03:42:24 PM »

Do you mean his "fictional birthday" (a day celebrated in the stories) or the date of his creation?
The firts answer was, in the pre-Crisis era, February, 29th.

For the second... I only know that Superman's first story was published in march. ACTION COMICS #1 was dated June, 1938, but before 1990 Comics had a 3 months postdated date on the cover!

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 05:34:51 PM »

Quote from: "Genis Vell"
Do you mean his "fictional birthday" (a day celebrated in the stories) or the date of his creation?

For the second... I only know that Superman's first story was published in march. ACTION COMICS #1 was dated June, 1938, but before 1990 Comics had a 3 months postdated date on the cover!

What is his in story birthday?  Are there any issues where, Supes and family celebrate his b-day?

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 06:22:05 PM »

Quote from: "Invader ZIM"
Quote from: "Genis Vell"

What is his in story birthday?  Are there any issues where, Supes and family celebrate his b-day?

Batman's birthday was given in BATMAN FAMILY #11, however, Superman's birthday being February 29th is an old piece of information.

A few places where Superman celebrates his birthday:

SUPERMAN No. 249 (1972) by Cary Bates, which is incidentally also the first appearance of Terra-Man, which has Superman succumbing to emotional problems that Kryptonians get on their sixth birthday. Also, it is interesting to note that this sets that Superman was allowed to age a little beyond the traditional 29 years old.

Superman gets another birthday in SUPERMAN ANNUAL #11 (1985) which means that around the time of the Reboot, Superman was around 34 earth years old.

Interestingly, Clark Kent has a different birthday than Superman: According to SUPERMAN No. 263 (1973), Kent's birthday is June 18th. This was stated as being the date that Superman arrived on Earth, his "Earthday."

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 07:16:56 PM »

An estmate of his true date of birth is once given, but the "chronicles undoubtedly vary"...

The son of the [[Kryptonian]] scientist [[Jor-El]] and his wife, [[Lara]], Superman was born in the Kryptonian city of [[Kryptonopolis]] (SA No. 5, Sum 1962; and others) during the month of October (Act No, 149, Oct ‘1950: “The Courtship on Krypton!”), in the year 1920 (S No. 181/2, Nov 1965: “The Superman of 2965!”).
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 06:40:57 AM »

Oddly enough, I seem to recall that Clark's birthday, June 18, corresponds to a day of mourning of some sort on Krypton. Can't remember the details, but this appeared in a 1970s Clark Kent story in which his friends and neighbours had a surprise party for him in his apartment.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 08:12:00 AM »

Quote from: "Permanus"
Oddly enough, I seem to recall that Clark's birthday, June 18, corresponds to a day of mourning of some sort on Krypton. Can't remember the details, but this appeared in a 1970s Clark Kent story in which his friends and neighbours had a surprise party for him in his apartment.

You're thinking of the same story I am: the backup story in SUPERMAN #263 (1973), however, it was a little more complicated than just a "day of mourning." The story went, as I recall, that Kryptonians in the distant past stored energy inside their bodies. A solution to the problem was found, and it was discovered that this energy was released as crying tears of grief at a Kryptonian's sixth birthday.

Incidentally, the whole Superman/Clark Kent having different birthdays explained how Superman could have frequent birthdays but never got significantly older than the traditional 29.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 12:53:31 PM »

I always assume  that everyone in comics is born on February 30th, has a phone number that starts with 555 (but with different area codes), etc.

June 18th was when I was supposed to be born.  It's not when I was actually born, mind you, but with TMI from my parents, I know it was the proper due date.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L