superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:06:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supergirl Retrospective in Back Issue #17  (Read 2971 times)
dto
Action Ace

« on: June 13, 2006, 05:52:23 PM »

This link was posted on the DC Comics (Wonder Woman) Message Boards:

http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=54&products_id=373

Here's the advertising blurb, with specific Supergirl-relevant portions in bold:

---------------------------

108 pages - July 2006
It’s ladies’ night in BACK ISSUE #17 as the Super Girls of the ’70s and ’80s take center stage! Track Supergirl’s solo adventures from her hot pants days to her dramatic death—with a ’70s Supergirl art gallery featuring BRIAN STELFREEZE, CULLY HAMNER, DAN PARENT, ALEX SAVIUK, and others. Flash back to the early days of Spider-Woman, Flare, and Tigra the Were-Woman, and relive the exploits of the powerless Diana Prince, Wonder Woman. “Greatest Stories Never Told” digs up DC’s Double Comics starring Supergirl and Superboy, with previously unpublished EDUARDO BARRETTO and CARMINE INFANTINO art, and MARV WOLFMAN and PHIL JIMENEZ are interviewed about the Teen Titans’ Donna Troy. Female comics pros from DIANA SCHUTZ to JILL THOMPSON gather at the “Pro2Pro Roundtable” to discuss their favorite super-heroines, “Backstage Pass” recalls TV’s Animated Super Chicks, and Fred Grandinetti’s “Off My Chest” guest editorial laments Batwoman’s unfortunate fate. Plus: Rare and classic artwork by MIKE SEKOWSKY, BOB OKSNER, GEORGE PÉREZ, ADAM HUGHES, DICK GIORDANO, RICK LEONARDI, and a bonus 8-page Super Girls COLOR ART GALLERY by the one-and-only BRUCE TIMM—who provides our heart-stopping Tigra cover! Edited by MICHAEL EURY.

-----------------------------------

I'm sure Supergirl will appear in other sections, particularly in "Backstage Pass" and the artwork galleries.  It would also be interesting to read Diana Schutz's comments, since she was responsible for the Solo #1 story that FINALLY provided closure to the cliffhanger ending of Supergirl #23 back in 1984.

And I'm VERY surprised that DC actually WAS working on a Superboy/Supergirl "Doubles Comics".  (I always thought that news of this never-published comic was pure "vaporware" intended to disguise the real fate of Superboy and Supergirl.)  It will be interesting to see exactly how far this project got before it was cancelled, since the planned Byrne reboot and "Crisis on Infinite Earths" would eliminate both Superboy and Supergirl.  [cry]

I'll have to ask my local shop(s) whether they carry Back Issue.  I never paid any attention to this publication, but this is definitely something to see.

DTO
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 11:09:01 AM »

Been meaning to pick up an issue of this zine and this looks like the perfect jump on point.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L