superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:09:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman in Wal-Mart...anyone been there lately?  (Read 5182 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« on: June 17, 2006, 03:44:56 AM »

So, I'm getting married in three weeks (thanks for the bachelor party by the way) and I went to Wal-Mart today to get some stuff for the house. I was pleasantly surprised.

Father's Day is this weekend. I'm not a father, (thankfully...I might be asking for advice in a few years) but there was lots of cool stuff in there. There were Superman Returns posters, super-cups and super-cup holders, and the slogan for Father's Day, appearing throughout the store, is "My Dad S! My Hero"

There are even a number of father's day cards featuring Silver-Age covers dealing with the subject of fatherhood (including one Superman Jr. card.) I had to chuckle a little, because one of them had the old "World's Best-Selling Comic Magazine" stamp on it. Doesn't DC wish they were so lucky today?

Anyway, that was my big foray into the outside world today. My Supermanica editing is on hold right now, because of that wedding thing I mentioned earlier, but I promise to get back to the Superboy soon.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 04:02:17 AM »

I haven't been in Wal-Mart; but I have been in my local supermarket which has become chock-full of Superman goodies, including a remote radio-controlled, propellor-driven flying Superman; a head-set with two laserbeams mounted on it (one on each side) that kids can wear in order to emulate "heat vision," and countless other unbelievable products that have succeeded in overloading my Super-Brain.

And don't even get me started on the Superman sightings in the cereal aisle!

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
NotSuper
Action Ace

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 04:32:51 AM »

I've been seeing Superman everywhere as well. I just wish there were Superman comics being sold at the same places.

Many people want others to accept their opinions as fact. If enough people accept them as fact then it gives the initial person or persons a feeling of power. This is why people will constantly talk about something they hate—they want others to feel the same way. It matters to them that others perceive things the same way that they do.
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 08:09:53 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
I have been in my local supermarket which has become chock-full of Superman goodies, including a remote radio-controlled, propellor-driven flying Superman

When I read this, I knew I had to see it with my own eyes:
http://www.discountedradiocontrolairplanes.com/Superman%20Returns%3A%20Radio%20Control%20Flying%20Superman/Store/4715009
I actually want one!

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
shazamtd
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 01:17:31 PM »

I got the 30" tall Superman Returns doll from Wal-Mart.  It was the one thing I absolutely HAD to have besides the soundtrack.  Now all I need is the soundtrack.   Smiley

"Is there no one on this planet to even challenge me?!" - General Zod (Superman II)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 04:00:03 AM »

Oh, man, let me tell you, that Superman Life cereal is great. Little red squares that turn the milk blue? TURN THE MILK BLUE?

Despite the fact the squares are RED?

Am I alone in thinking this is the greatest innovation in cereal history?

Man, there hasn't been a cereal tie-in this great since C3P-O's.

In recent times, cereal tie-ins have fallen from the high standard set by "Donkey Kong Jr. Cereal" or "Nintendo - it's for Breakfast NOW!" which featured two bags, one containing Super Mario cereal, and the other a Legend of Zelda cereal with marshmellow sword and triforce shapes. And don't forget the MIKE TYSON'S PUNCH-OUT! puffy stickers that came in the box!

By far the least impressive cereal in history was the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cereal, which featured the laziest concept ever: it was basically a chex type cereal, only the chex pieces were called "Ninja Nets?" Booooo! Hiss!

Lest we forget, there was also the Star Wars: Phantom Menace Cereal, whose flaws are identical to STAR WARS: EPISODE I itself: now that Lucas has the leverage to create whatever kind of cereal he likes as opposed to the limitations he worked under when creating C3P-O's, he loads it up with marshmellows and fruity shapes instead of just giving it a sweet and pleasant taste, and thus the original C-3PO's magic is not duplicated; it's just another tie-in cereal. WHERE DID YOU GO WRONG, LUCAS?!

For my friends in the UK like Permanus, there was, as I recall, a Doctor Who tie-in to Wheatabix back in the seventies, which strongly ties into my theory that Wheatabix is in fact invented as a Dalek torture tool.

However, this is not to say there have not been some high points. I am looking squarely at the absolutely genius BILL AND TED'S MOST EXCELLENT ADVENTURES animated tie-in with a phone booth cereal server, or the TAIL SPIN spoons that came with every box of Corn Pops.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 06:06:15 AM »

Ah yes, Doctor Who Weetabix... BBC marketing tie-ins always seemed slightly sappy, as if it was some sort of requirement that they shouldn't sell well. In fact, owing no doubt to our advertising regulations, anything intended for children seemed slightly worthy, so you would get Dick Turpin slide rules and, I don't know, Sapphire and Steel trigonometry sets or something.

Did you know that the cartoon character Top Cat was called Boss Cat over here, so as to avoid confusion with a brand of cat food? As if kids were suddenly going to start demanding it for dinner.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 08:45:10 AM »

Quote from: "Permanus"
Ah yes, Doctor Who Weetabix... BBC marketing tie-ins always seemed slightly sappy, as if it was some sort of requirement that they shouldn't sell well. In fact, owing no doubt to our advertising regulations, anything intended for children seemed slightly worthy, so you would get Dick Turpin slide rules and, I don't know, Sapphire and Steel trigonometry sets or something.

Did you know that the cartoon character Top Cat was called Boss Cat over here, so as to avoid confusion with a brand of cat food? As if kids were suddenly going to start demanding it for dinner.

Oh, I'm sure cartoon character name changes have been done for even more embarassing reasons.

My all-time favorite "Gee Aren't the English Crazy" change/alteration story has to be during the making of WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH, the Hammer Studios sequel to the Racquel Welch star-maker, 1,000,000 BC. The English director absolutely refused to use a traditional Tyrannosaurus Rex for his movie because its tiny wristed arm movements reminded him of flaming homosexuals.

Didn't Mark Evanier once say that at one point, TOP CAT was the top-selling comic in the United States?

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L