superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:19:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MUST-READ Curt Swan!  (Read 6829 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« on: June 20, 2006, 06:20:16 PM »

Do you have a soul?

Yes? Than you'll probably love Curt Swan! What an incredible visual storyteller.

Some issues of his you shouldn't miss:

ADVENTURE COMICS #367 (1968) "No Escape from the Circle of Death!" Though it's got a Neal Adams cover, it's worth checking out for the Curt Swan interior. Here, Curt Swan does science fiction: who can forget Colossal Boy's Giant Guns, or Curt Swan's incredible, almost full-page splash of 30th Century Tokyo, or the sight of hundreds of Dark Circle soldiers transported off Earth by the hundreds by the Miracle Machine (another sharp Swan device)?

THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY miniseries. I'm talking about the one that tied into the television show back in the early eighties. The reason this miniseries is worth checking out for Curt Swan fans is because it shows Swan's take on the "crystal" Krypton of the movies. Swan makes it less white and cold, more clear and with crystals having rainbow colors in them.

AQUAMAN (1988). All hail our jellyfish overlords! This book, with layouts and plot by Keith Giffen, features art by Curt Swan, and is it ever fascinating to look at. For one thing, it features Curt Swan going out of his way being scary - evidence of his incredible range, particularly with the evil jellyfish that take over Atlantis.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 06:49:03 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Do you have a soul?

Yes? Than you'll probably love Curt Swan! What an incredible visual storyteller.

Say no more my good friend! Because when i think about Superman i will always visualize the one illustrated by the Great Master Swan!  :hail:

S!  S!  S!

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 09:37:38 AM »

My favorite Superman artist will always be John Byrne.
But, heck, how I miss Swan's polite and kind style... His Clark, Lana and the others always seemed so good-hearted, sweet... I love that style.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 10:05:35 AM »

Superman to me is always the Curt Swan version. The Aquaman series wasn't bad, but lord, that costume...

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 07:01:07 AM »

Quote from: "Permanus"
Superman to me is always the Curt Swan version. The Aquaman series wasn't bad, but lord, that costume...

The SEA WORLD outfit? Well, then, it gives me great pleasure to point out that you're thinking of the 1986 miniseries that was immediately after CRISIS, which was done by somebody else. And I agree with you that it wasn't that bad - any book that has an escape plan that involves swordfish...it is okay by me! Curt Swan's miniseries was immediately after this, and Aquaman stayed in his patriotic orange and green classic togs the whole time.

Question: why haven't we seen New Venice in some time? That was a neat idea, a city that was partially underwater.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 07:11:59 AM »

Oh, you're quite right! Funny, I had the two series all confused, but I managed to dig them out yesterday (well, most of them), and they're both a good read!

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
MichaelBailey
Superman Emergency Squad

This Ain't No Sippin' Tea

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 01:02:00 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY miniseries. I'm talking about the one that tied into the television show back in the early eighties. The reason this miniseries is worth checking out for Curt Swan fans is because it shows Swan's take on the "crystal" Krypton of the movies. Swan makes it less white and cold, more clear and with crystals having rainbow colors in them.

For the sake of my OCD on such matters, The Adventures of Superboy was not a mini-series but an ongoing that went for 22 issues from 1990 to 1992.  I guess sales towards the end were kind of slow because it went to a bi-monthly schedule.  

I will always respect Curt Swan.  I may not be the biggest fan of his artwork but anyone who spends nearly thirty years on a character has got to put his stamp on it somehow.  Anyone who read the Superman books during the sixties, seventies and eighties knows this man's work.

There is something to be said for that.

"I now own well over 13,000 comic books.  Most people would call this a hobby.  I prefer to call it was it actually is; a hopeless addiction." -MRB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L