superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:15:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All-Star Supes #4  (Read 13846 times)
Defender
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 07:49:25 PM »

I wouldn't say 'weird for its own sake' so much as 'weird for the sake of fun', which is what Superman comics used to be back in the day. I enjoy the whimsical feel of All-Star Superman, a comicbook that knows its about superheroes--and the greates one of all at that--and explores the genre without any sense of snarkiness or irony, but just for the sheer joy of having fun.

This issue in particular did what I thought nothing could do--it made Jimmy Olsen cool. And Jimmy, God love 'im, has never been cool. Never ever. But here, he's awesome.  I want this Jimmy in the regular series.

The small touches are great (Superman with a super-brain, taking steps to ensure humanity is ready if he should ever step out of line). The art by Quitely I'll never like 100% but it's getting more palatable as the issues go by. So far so good I'd say.

-Def.

"You will believe a man can fly."
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 02:30:48 AM »

Quote from: "Defender"
I wouldn't say 'weird for its own sake' so much as 'weird for the sake of fun', which is what Superman comics used to be back in the day. I enjoy the whimsical feel of All-Star Superman, a comicbook that knows its about superheroes--and the greates one of all at that--and explores the genre without any sense of snarkiness or irony, but just for the sheer joy of having fun.

This issue in particular did what I thought nothing could do--it made Jimmy Olsen cool. And Jimmy, God love 'im, has never been cool. Never ever. But here, he's awesome.  I want this Jimmy in the regular series.

The small touches are great (Superman with a super-brain, taking steps to ensure humanity is ready if he should ever step out of line). The art by Quitely I'll never like 100% but it's getting more palatable as the issues go by. So far so good I'd say.

-Def.

Sure, it's fun but not innocent fun. All-Star Supes' got dirt under the fingernails.

Jimmy Olsen should never be cool. He's Jimmy Olsen. He's loyal, friendly, trustworthy, and a smigin odd. He's more at home in a bow tie than he should be.  :lol:

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 04:16:30 AM »

I love the series, if nothing else because it takes place on fun old Earth One!

But alas, those of us who subscribe to it will have to wait for another couple of weeks to get the issue.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

broonum
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 03:43:29 AM »

question about all-star superman #4:

what is the deal with the gypsy's curse that jimmy refers to throught the issues? is this an allusion to a past superman story? or an as-yet-to-be-revealed mystery?
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2006, 05:13:22 AM »

I think that was a nod of classic JO plot devices and not to be xplained further but taken at face value
alschroeder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 02:43:56 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
I think that was a nod of classic JO plot devices and not to be xplained further but taken at face value

Ditto. A tribute to the first "Wolf-boy" story, among others. I liked how Jimmy said he changed who he was from day to day...
---Al

Al Schroeder III, former letterhack (met his wife through Julie Schwartz' lettercolumns) of MINDMISTRESS http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com---think the superhero genre is mined out? Think there are no new superhero ideas?

Think again.
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 02:21:36 PM »

Read it yesterday.
Another good issue, and with a Jimmy Olsen story!
Jimmy hasn't used so much in the regular titles for years. Glad to see him as the real main character of this story.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L