superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:25:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: I already forget what Infinite Crisis was about, if I ever knew.  (Voting closed: June 23, 2006, 10:15:06 PM)
What are you talking about?  Infinite what? - 2 (33.3%)
Infinite Crisis rocked!  DC is better than ever because of it! - 0 (0%)
I love the multiverse, but answering this question may tend to incriminate me. - 4 (66.7%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey! "Crisis" is now "The Multiverse"!  (Read 6799 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: June 24, 2006, 03:15:06 AM »

What started as a forum devoted to Superman and Infinite Crisis, with other threads about other DC Crisis events and general discussions about the mulitverse, parallel-earths, etc., is now called The Multiverse!, it looks like.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 03:59:14 AM »

"Infinite Crisis" was neither.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 04:20:16 AM »

I think we're in the parallel world where the head of DC is run by an ape. A civilian ape who know nothing about comics or Superman and what makes them great and pretends to be an authoraton.

Dee Dee something or other.

Bad monkey! :twisted:

Multi-man I,  I took the verse.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 12:44:48 PM »

Can you pick something else besides a monkey..

:wink:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 09:59:01 PM »

How about a lemming?

Lemmings do run over the edges of cliffs.

Make it a mutant lemming to remove the cuteness.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 11:18:41 PM »

But DC loves toput apes on their covers, Beppo or at least they USED to.

Okay a Lemming it is!
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 04:41:07 PM »

If you asked me in 2000 what the biggest mistake DC ever made was, my answer would have been straightforward: "getting rid of the Multiverse."

My answer would be different now because of the work of Geoff Johns's JUSTICE SOCIETY. Just like Alan Brennert's stories would not have been possible without the multiverse, Geoff Johns's stories would not be possible without the singleverse: Hawkman's restoration to the DC Universe and "Return of Hawkman" would not have been possible with an Earth-2 and Earth-1 Hawkman on different earths. The fact the JSA is on the same earth that Mordru and Black Adam inhabit was USED for the first time by Johns, whose acts of worldbuilding made the crashed-together planets make sense. He asked questions everybody else should have the instant the planets crashed together: the relationship between Thanagar and Nth Metal, for instance, and wether Khufu, Teth-Adam, and Blue Beetle's Khu-Af-Re knew each other.

This isn't just trivia and pointless interconnectivity. This is actually CREATING a single universe, worldbuilding, with all the strengths of the previous characteristics making them stronger than the sum of their parts.

Quote from: "Klar"
I think we're in the parallel world where the head of DC is run by an ape. A civilian ape who know nothing about comics or Superman and what makes them great and pretends to be an authoraton.

Oh, come on now.

Grant Morrison is on Batman, and All-Star Superman.

Kurt Busiek, arguably, the greatest writer of the most recent generation, is on Superman and will be for the indefinite future.

Paul Levitz is out of retirement and writing stuff. And don't forget my main man, Geoff Johns, and my homegirl, Gail Simone!

Not everything DC has done has been perfect (the urge to keep alive a terminal loser like MANHUNTER baffles me, for instance) however...

Jim Shooter once said in an interview, that the secret to a great comics company doesn't require a genius at all. Just put talented people on books - put Miller on DAREDEVIL, Simonson on MIGHTY THOR, etc.

He shouldn't have said that out loud, because it looks like the Distinguished Competition took the advice that Shooter's ex-company ignored!

The big problem with CRISIS was not that CRISIS happened, but the fact that AFTER Crisis, the people given to reshape the DC Universe were writer-artist nonentities and singularities that applied a reverse-Midas Touch to the whole DC line.

Okay, alright, INFINITE CRISIS did move too fast and fall down those last two issues. But look who's running the show and shaping what it'll look like afterward: Kurt Busiek, Gail Simone, Johns, Waid, Morrison. MUCH better than Byrne, Giffen, Grell, and Chaykin. The contrast is like the sacred and the profane.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
davidelliott
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 08:37:38 AM »

I agree with:

"The big problem with CRISIS was not that CRISIS happened, but the fact that AFTER Crisis, the people given to reshape the DC Universe were writer-artist nonentities and singularities that applied a reverse-Midas Touch to the whole DC line"

Crisis was meant as a reboot and I think it should have scaled things down WAY more than it did.

What I was hoping for, even with Superman and Batman, as a TRUE restart... like Superman restarting with the MOS mini-series and continuing that, time-wise, with his regular books.  It felt like MOS gave us the back story (which it did) but then the books made it feel like this Superman was around for years.  Batman should have started over from scratch, Year One going into a logical progression...

Others, like the Flash, GL, others could have started from scratch... others, well, at the time who would have missed Firestorm, the urban JLA, Elongated Man, Animal Man and others?  DC should have scrapped all the 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers and rebuilt their universe slowly.  Rather, we started off with an overcrowded single universe with characters that were spread out over multiple Earths put onto one.

Am I making sense?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L