superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE AUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:53:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll
Question: I already forget what Infinite Crisis was about, if I ever knew.  (Voting closed: June 23, 2006, 10:15:06 PM)
What are you talking about?  Infinite what? - 2 (33.3%)
Infinite Crisis rocked!  DC is better than ever because of it! - 0 (0%)
I love the multiverse, but answering this question may tend to incriminate me. - 4 (66.7%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey! "Crisis" is now "The Multiverse"!  (Read 6802 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 03:39:53 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
If you asked me in 2000 what the biggest mistake DC ever made was, my answer would have been straightforward: "getting rid of the Multiverse."

My answer would be different now because of the work of Geoff Johns's JUSTICE SOCIETY. Just like Alan Brennert's stories would not have been possible without the multiverse, Geoff Johns's stories would not be possible without the singleverse: Hawkman's restoration to the DC Universe and "Return of Hawkman" would not have been possible with an Earth-2 and Earth-1 Hawkman on different earths. The fact the JSA is on the same earth that Mordru and Black Adam inhabit was USED for the first time by Johns, whose acts of worldbuilding made the crashed-together planets make sense. He asked questions everybody else should have the instant the planets crashed together: the relationship between Thanagar and Nth Metal, for instance, and wether Khufu, Teth-Adam, and Blue Beetle's Khu-Af-Re knew each other.

This isn't just trivia and pointless interconnectivity. This is actually CREATING a single universe, worldbuilding, with all the strengths of the previous characteristics making them stronger than the sum of their parts.

Quote from: "Klar"
I think we're in the parallel world where the head of DC is run by an ape. A civilian ape who know nothing about comics or Superman and what makes them great and pretends to be an authoraton.

Oh, come on now.

Grant Morrison is on Batman, and All-Star Superman.

Kurt Busiek, arguably, the greatest writer of the most recent generation, is on Superman and will be for the indefinite future.

Paul Levitz is out of retirement and writing stuff. And don't forget my main man, Geoff Johns, and my homegirl, Gail Simone!

Not everything DC has done has been perfect (the urge to keep alive a terminal loser like MANHUNTER baffles me, for instance) however...

Jim Shooter once said in an interview, that the secret to a great comics company doesn't require a genius at all. Just put talented people on books - put Miller on DAREDEVIL, Simonson on MIGHTY THOR, etc.

He shouldn't have said that out loud, because it looks like the Distinguished Competition took the advice that Shooter's ex-company ignored!

The big problem with CRISIS was not that CRISIS happened, but the fact that AFTER Crisis, the people given to reshape the DC Universe were writer-artist nonentities and singularities that applied a reverse-Midas Touch to the whole DC line.

Okay, alright, INFINITE CRISIS did move too fast and fall down those last two issues. But look who's running the show and shaping what it'll look like afterward: Kurt Busiek, Gail Simone, Johns, Waid, Morrison. MUCH better than Byrne, Giffen, Grell, and Chaykin. The contrast is like the sacred and the profane.

I couldn't disagree with you more. While Robinson, Goyer, and later Johns weaved brilliant connections throughout JSA, Johns wrote a thoroughly botched Infinite Crisis aka brilliant marketing ploy for the next big event.

Also, do we really need all the excessive violence? "New Earth" is a gratuitous bloodbath. Almost every book I glance through, I place back down. There's sometimes more red in the books than any other color. That's just a summary of violence, this criticism doesn't include the unnecessary adult situations. It's as if, every DC writers writing the Watchmen. I'm probably going to catch heck but whatever happened to the light hearted fun superhero comics?

Well, at least Krypto's back in December...

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 03:00:51 AM »

Quote from: "Michel Weisnor"
Also, do we really need all the excessive violence? "New Earth" is a gratuitous bloodbath. Almost every book I glance through, I place back down. There's sometimes more red in the books than any other color. That's just a summary of violence, this criticism doesn't include the unnecessary adult situations. It's as if, every DC writers writing the Watchmen. I'm probably going to catch heck but whatever happened to the light hearted fun superhero comics?

The bloodbath?  Yes, I have to agree with you.  The violence is far more excessive than the Japanese comics Guyver or Devilman and make it up to Blade of the Samurai(he has to kill 10,000 evil men to die) and I'm getting a bit concerned that it will reach the utterly absurd levels of Rape Man: Rapist for Hire, Wicked City, and Legend of the Overfiend.

(A lot of Japanese comic writers want the world to stop using manga to distguish their stories from the world's and use the word comic instead.)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 12:50:25 AM »

Actually, he's back now, if you're interested in the six-issue "Krypto" miniseries based on the cartoon show---bought issue #1 last week...

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 01:03:23 AM »

Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"

Actually, he's back now, if you're interested in the six-issue "Krypto" miniseries based on the cartoon show---bought issue #1 last week...

yeah, please post your thoughts here about the 1st issue Smiley : http://superman.nu/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3021

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L