superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:28:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crisis Reprints  (Read 4698 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: June 24, 2006, 03:29:48 AM »

Just noticed that DC has published a series of trade paperbacks collecting all of the post-1950 multiverse cross-overs.

There is Crisis on Multiple Earths Vol 1 --collects the early Flash, Green Lantern, etc  Earth-1/Earth-2 individual hero/dippelganger team-ups.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401204708/ref=pd_sim_b_4/10...

and many others, including volumes collecting the regular (annual?) JLA/JSA team-ups that did much to introduce much of the DC multiverse.

Anybody have these?

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 04:02:26 AM »

I have the 1st one, these have been out since Crisis was reprinted many years ago. A new one with the big red cheese was just released. or will be if it hasn't already.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 07:53:08 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
I have the 1st one, these have been out since Crisis was reprinted many years ago. A new one with the big red cheese was just released. or will be if it hasn't already.

It's out and includes the JLA/JSA crossover guest-starring Cary Bates and Elliot S! Maggin. Great stuff.
Spaceman Spiff
Superman Family

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 08:01:55 AM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
There is Crisis on Multiple Earths Vol 1 --collects the early Flash, Green Lantern, etc Earth-1/Earth-2 individual hero/dippelganger team-ups.

TELLE is refering to Crisis on Multiple Earths: The Team-Ups Vol. 1 which was published in 2005 (it has the new DC logo). Here's a link to DC's description:
http://www.dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=4575
This isn't JLA/JSA crossovers, but other team-ups involving Earth-Two heroes. There are four stories with the two Flashes, one with the two GLs, two with Dr. Fate and Hourman, and one with Starman and Black Canary. Also, a bonus Hourman solo story. I got my copy of this last month, and it is fantastic. Of course, with the talents of Gardner Fox, John Broome, Carmine Infantino, Murphy Anderson, Gil Kane, and Dick Dillin, it has to be good.

I'm hoping for a follow-up that includes the second Starman/Black Canary story and the team-ups of the two Atoms. Hey, did the two Hawkmen ever meet outside of the JLA/JSA team-ups? I'd love to see a story with both of them (plus both Hawkgirls) drawn by Murphy Anderson.

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
A new one with the big red cheese was just released. or will be if it hasn't already.

Quote from: "DBN"
It's out and includes the JLA/JSA crossover guest-starring Cary Bates and Elliot S! Maggin. Great stuff.

I got the latest JLA/JSA crossover collection, Crisis on Multiple Earths Vol. 4 at the same time. Here's a link to DC's description:
http://www.dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=5086
I agree with DBN, it is great stuff. BTW, DC's blurb says JLA #122 is included, but it is not. Maybe they got confused because that issue's story was titled "The Great Identity Crisis!"
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 08:16:59 AM »

I'd like to see the two Hawkmen team-up.  Wouldn't it be weird to really meet your doppelganger fom a parallel earth?  It's interesting how in many of the JLA/JSA team-ups, very little duplication of heroes happened (ie, the stories didn't involve solely 2 Hawkmen, 2 Superman, 2 Batmen, etc. but a mix of the actual current rosters of both teams).

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 04:17:17 PM »

I think it's possible they tried to avoid doubling up on characters to make things easier for the artist (otherwise it'd be hard to remember who's doing what).  Also "mixing it up" gave us a chance to get some variety.  I remember waiting all year for another look at Dr Fate or Dr Mid-Nite, and I'd have been disappointed if either of those unique characters got yanked in favor of a duplicate Hawkman.

In some cases, of course, it worked.  Alan Scott and Hal Jordan were different enough in appearance, backstory and powers (or at least weaknesses) to make for some interesting crossovers.  Same with Al Pratt Atom and Ray Palmer Atom.  And you had to love the father-son type dynamic of Jay and Barry.  But there's probably a good reason we never saw both Batmen get together...it'd be hard to make it interesting, and it would raise a lot of still-unanswered questions about just where one guy's history ends and the other's begins (until Englehart came along, I assumed Hugo Strange was strictly an Earth-2 Batman enemy).  On the other hand, pairing E-1 Batman with a grieving E-2 Robin and Batwoman was brilliant!  But exploring the psychological end of things was a Bronze Age approach...in the Silver Age it was all about plot, not character.  We were more interested in seeing how Hal and Alan could compensate strategically for each other's weaknesses than watching them chat over a coffee for five pages.

This looks like a job for...
MichaelBailey
Superman Emergency Squad

This Ain't No Sippin' Tea

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 03:56:01 AM »

I have all four of the Crisis on Multiple Earths trades in addition to the team-up volume.  I've gone through the first three and once you get used to the storytelling, especially in the first volume, they're a lot of fun.  I'm looking forward to getting into the fourth volume since it has the Marvel Family crossover.

Captain Marvel rules.  Not as much as Superman, but close.

"I now own well over 13,000 comic books.  Most people would call this a hobby.  I prefer to call it was it actually is; a hopeless addiction." -MRB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L