superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonComing MIRACLE MONDAY 2017!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:05:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post-IConfusing  (Read 7401 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: June 25, 2006, 11:57:37 PM »

So, post-infinite crisis universe, you know the darker place, is a multiple timeline earth where all past stories are relevant. How is this mess more approachable to new readers?

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 12:02:24 AM »

Oh, it probably isn't...but I never thought that simplification was a real goal anyways, DC just wants to do "event" series, and maybe, given the current state of comics sales, its possibly an OK business decision...

Doesn't intrigue me though...
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 12:46:07 AM »

Now they no longer have to explain away all the other stories they did with various timelines/universes or whatever.

Confusing yes.  Easier for DC, yes.

Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 04:11:04 AM »

Quote from: "Invader ZIM"
So, post-infinite crisis universe, you know the darker place, is a multiple timeline earth where all past stories are relevant.

Wait - is that true?  I read Infinite Crisis, but I don't remember whether it ended with a multiverse or a universe. I swear it didn't use to be this confusing, neither pre-Crisis nor post-Crisis.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 06:49:27 AM »

I read the last two issues and didn't understand anything. Mind you, the fact that I skipped through most of the dialogue probably didn't help. Now I'm having a crack at 52, which has a backup feature that is supposed to explain everything, but I can't concentrate on the text there either.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 02:50:13 PM »

Wouldn't it have been simpler just to bring back the multiverse?

Another thing, I understand the concept of 52: to sell more drivel, but why would Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman vacation when they're most needed? They must remember CoIE and all the universes erased. Not to mention, the heroes lost and defamed in IC are still fresh in memory. Why wouldn't Didio's trinity gather the superheroes and save the day?

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 03:30:00 PM »

IMPO Didio is a serial killer of DC characters.  Removing the Trinity allows Didio to kill off more characters in 52, while shoving more darkness down people's throats.

The rumors now: Ralph Dibny the Elongated Man commits suicide and Booster Gold is killed.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 03:54:57 PM »

I thought what he was saying is that no, there isn't a Multiverse, but now at least there once WAS one.  Thus whereas after the first "Crisis" all the Earth-2 characters were retroactively shoe-horned into "Earth-One" continuity (so that, for instance, Superman's costume was influenced by Pa Kent's memories of the JSA), I gather that after this LATEST Crisis, the "Earth-Two" back stories were restored up to a certain point.  So that now the older members of the JSA had their early careers on a parallel Earth before ending up on this one.

I agree this makes things as confusing as they ever were prior to 1986, with the added downer that we can't get any new adventures on the other Earths.  They, with all their wonders, have gone, but all their baggage is retained to clutter up the DCU.

What difference does it make?  Despite Dildo's promises, I'll bet good money this "new order" will be out the window within 5 years anyway, and probably a lot sooner.  They oughtta just stop fighting it and issue a monthly Power Girl comic where every issue features a different origin.

This looks like a job for...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L