superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:51:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman Adventures in Canada?  (Read 4696 times)
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« on: June 27, 2006, 08:34:54 AM »

Folks, I wonder if anyone can think of any classic Superman adventures that took place in Canada?  I'm writing up a short piece on Superman's Canadian connections (short version: not many) and would love to have a story or two to reference.  I know there is a great Batman story from the 1950s where Bats and the Mounties team up but I wonder if there is any such Superman/RCMP team-up?  Would love to have an illo (panel or cover) to accompany the article.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 07:52:43 AM »

I know for a fact that Marty Pasko, one of the classic seventies Schwartz writers, is a native Canadian - is that enough of a connection for you?

Has the exact position of Superman's Fortress of Solitude been named? It might be in Canada. Or it might be in Finland, for all I know, though for some reason "Alaska" comes readily to mind.

(Intriguingly, as I recall, Doc Savage's Fortress of Solitude had in addition to exact coordinates, a tribe of Eskimos to protect the place, who were circumvented by John Sunlight.)

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 08:39:42 AM »

Oddly enough, I can't even think of a single instance in which Superman is shown visiting Canada. It's bizarre; obviously, he's been there -- he's been everywhere-- and he must have gone there at some point to put out a fire or something, but a cursory leaf through my collection yields nothing. I can't find any instance of his going to Britain, either, for that matter, though he goes to France (always Paris) quite a lot.

Has the exact position of Superman's Fortress of Solitude been named? It might be in Canada. Or it might be in Finland, for all I know, though for some reason "Alaska" comes readily to mind.

Isn't it just supposed to be near the North Pole? The Arctic Circle's pretty big, and many parts of it are populated (why these people insist on living there is beyond me), so it would make sense for Superman to build his fortress somewhere where no-one but the odd intrepid explorer might venture.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 11:31:28 AM »

I quote to you from Miracle Monday, in a selection posted on the homepage of this very website:

"One hundred thirty miles south of the North Pole, there was a hollow, artificially built mountain.  The mightiest hands on Earth had gathered and fused together a huge mass of granite blocks which now sat collecting snow and permafrost, hidden from anyone who might be imprudent enough to linger over this forsaken corner of the Earth.  From the sky, one could see only a golden arrow the length of two Olympic pools which pointed north, presumably for the benefit of airline pilots.  Only Superman could lift the sixty-ton object, slide it into a camouflaged lock set into the mountain face, and open the door bigger than most medieval cathedrals.

"This Fortress of Solitude, this repository for collectibles - the junk and the treasure of the great man's life - was the final privacy he had."
(Miracle Monday chapter 16)

I found one mention of Canada in Supermanica --Superman-robot Ajax is called into duty when Superman has to fight a fire in Canada or something.

He's been to England many times --one instance that comes to mind is a Clark Kent adventure featuring an immortal alchemist who lives inside the walls of the Tower of London (Bronze Age back-up story).

Jimmy has been to swinging London as well.

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 09:54:31 PM »

Jimmy has been to swinging London as well.

And so has Lana, now that I come to think of it. Luv.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 10:27:43 PM »

Quote from: "Permanus"
Oddly enough, I can't even think of a single instance in which Superman is shown visiting Canada.

Does Superman II and Niagara Falls count?
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 12:19:33 AM »

Big thrill for me as a kid but kind of scraping the barrel for "classic" Canadian adventures. :cry:

(Happy Canada Day, by the way folks!  July 1st)

Supermanica
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L