superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe SUNSTONEHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:16:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUPERMAN RETURNS **SPOILERS** review thread  (Read 37607 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 09:21:48 PM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
So what are you left with -- some great Super action (but not nearly enough), a selfish Superman who's ultimately an ALIEN DEAD BEAT DAD

This was one of the things that really bugged me.  Yes, it was great to see Superman telling Jason the same things that Jor-El had told him back when he was an infant - but the way Superman handles the situation is indicative of other problems that plagued his character in this film.  If Superman discovered he was the father of a child, he would NEVER just fly off and leave Lois to raise the kid by herself.  His priorities would become being a good father to the boy, and a good husband to Lois.  Because not only does he have Jor-El as a father model, he also has Jonathan Kent.  This was a character who was portrayed as being a victim of his circumstances, something Superman would never be.

The others are OK. Larson and Neill's cameos were tops.

They certainly were.  It was fantastic to see their names in the opening credits!  Something long overdue for each of them.

Im sure Im in the minority on what some are calling "the best super hero movie ever!" (that still belongs to 'The Incredibles') but when I think about what this film could've been, as opposed it what it actually is, I get nuts.

It looked a lot like a Superman film - it had the music, the opening titles, the FX, the fortress, Ma Kent, some great iconic scenes (like Superman saving the Shuttle, etc) - but Superman himself wasn't in this film.  Kal (as Superman/Clark) spent 2 hours standing around letting Lex continue with his scheme, not caring about the power loss problems or what they might be indicative of, not caring about the fact that Lois was missing, etc.  Not just standing around - but hanging out in a bar drinking budweiser!  Talk about product placement!  At least the Cheerios product placement in the first movie made sense and enhanced Clark's characterization, but in this movie it just served to further damage it.

Here is a man who, as we saw in another fantastic iconic scene, can hover above the Earth and hear everything, yet we're asked to believe that he doesn't know or care what Lex is up to or that Lois and her child are in danger?  I just don't buy it.

And Where the Daxam was Ben Hubbard! I got gypped! Wink

Like the scenes where Superman is back at the remains of Krypton, I suspect Ben ended up on the cutting room floor.  At least we saw his pickup truck, though.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 09:37:29 PM »

Ben and the return to Krypton will be on the extended director's cut DVD natch.

Fan since the 50s - well, late 50s - I was 4 when George Reeves died and Im sure I was a fan as far back as I can remember. Learned to read by reading the Super comics which I was convinced at age six were a spin off of the TV show. :wink:  

Imagine the excitment of buying so many classic silver age tales afor the very first time at the candy store!  S!
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 09:38:25 PM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"

Here is a man who, as we saw in another fantastic iconic scene, can hover above the Earth and hear everything, yet we're asked to believe that he doesn't know or care what Lex is up to or that Lois and her child are in danger?  I just don't buy it.

[
S!

He's not a god he has Super processing and Super hearing but he can't hear everything all the time. Its a flipping big planet you know. One of my personal gripes.  sounds too much like Greg Rucka crap. How could anything ever happen if Superman were always aware of everything. That he should always know if this or that happened I don't buy.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 09:52:29 PM »

darn you, Klar! I hoped I would be the FIRST to have something to say about this film.

I said to myself, "oh boy, I bet anything that Klar will have lots to say about this film." Mostly he sticks around these boards, giving the odd sarcastic comment, but since he's a movie guy, he'll no doubt have lots of in-depth things to say."

Im with you and need to catch up on sleep before I really let fly but in short it was a very very mixed experience ultimately leaving me with a bad taste in my mind.

When I saw Superman the Movie on opening day, first show I left the theatre --well-- high - there's no other wonder to describe the exhilartion of seeing my Superman - the silver age Supes - so brillaintly depicted.  Not to say that there were flaws but there were and they were many.  But ultimately forgivable as a motion picture it delivered the goods.

Superman Returns for all its Christ like ballyhoo is a big bloated disapointment.  A times it was like watching a zombie movie because it was like a undead beach party - some great Super FX sequences bogged down by an unwieldly plot, inane logic and a slavish retread of the original.  By the time I saw the ninth visual cue from Donners 78 or another line of dialog resaid, I was cringing.

Well, like I said, the original Superman movies have a lot of power in people's minds, and I personally think the director made the right choice to bring the movie in line with that.

(Thankfully, Superman didn't throw his cellophane S-shield!)

In one interview, Singer was cited as saying he never read Superman comics growing up or comics in general -- and it showed. Of course, another interview contradicted that -- that he was the biggest fan ever.

Well, at least he had the decency to make something like that up. I hate all these directors that do comic book movies and go on record as loathing comics (Tim Burton comes readily to mind).

So what are you left with -- some great Super action (but not nearly enough), a selfish Superman who's ultimately an ALIEN DEAD BEAT DAD (if the Munchkin really is his son - ambiquity and confusion reigns here)

I'm glad you picked up on that. The film is edited in such a way that it's really difficult to draw a conclusion on that with absolute certainty. Everybody's mind jumps to the conclusion that the kid is Superman's because that would be the most sensationalist thing. Personally, I think Superman's kid would have a lot more brassy personality.

True story: I saw SUPERMAN RETURNS in a theater that a lot of teenagers, the THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY crowd. One girl, behind me, was doing her very long nails before the movie started, and jawing to a girlfriend on a cel. When that piano hit that goon, I heard a lot of cooing and "Oooooh!" as if someone had told them a really hot piece of gossip on the phone!

Quote from: "Klar"
Luthor's plan is illogical and illconcieved - it seems only as an excuse to reuse the 'land' shtick from S1 and Jon Peter's inisitence on the death/resurrection of Superman. Oh did I mention the uneccessary kryptonite shiv and sadistic beating of Superman?

I don't know, I sort of liked that it was Luthor himself that gave Superman the sock on the jaw. Kevin Spacey played that with a lot of rage.

Maybe Superman fighting three polar bears or a giant mechanical spider would've been better!

Isn't fighting polar bears better than anything?

Routh channeling Reeve is OK but even Dean Cain and Tom Welling added their own interpertations to the mythos.  Bosworth is pretty but no depth.

Agreed. Lois Lane needs to be played by a funny and pretty character actress and Kate wasn't that. This is "Tarzan/Jane Porter" syndrome: the hero, when confronted by all sorts of beautiful women, always chooses the single most boring one to be his main squeeze.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Dial H For Hero
Supermen of America

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 10:40:12 PM »

I had very mixed feelings about the movie. Great SFX; and nice acting by Routh, Bosworth, and Spacey. But Superman as (at various times) stalker, homewrecker, and deadbeat dad just didn't work for me. The film often felt muddled and derivative. Still, I'm happy to see the franchise revived and am hopeful about the sequel. (But, please, no Luthor. There are too many other good Superman villains to waste another movie on him.)
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 11:17:08 PM »

The movie was good, not great (which it could have been). They didn't go into enough detail about some of the major story points. Plus, it pretty much requires you to read the prequal comics to fully understand the story.
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 02:10:30 AM »

Quote from: "DBN"
The movie was good, not great (which it could have been). They didn't go into enough detail about some of the major story points. Plus, it pretty much requires you to read the prequal comics to fully understand the story.

I don't really agree with you there.  What exactly would you not get or are you assuming the average moviegoer is as stupid as the average voter? :?
Kar-El
Superman Fan

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 02:49:38 AM »

Supes Cuz here
I saw the advance screening at 10:00 last night  The theatre was about 3/4 full of die-hard Supes fans and it brought me back to the light-hearted friendly intimacy of our home-grown Maplecon - sci-fi comic book conventions I attended in the late 70's and early 80's here in Canada. The entire audience including myself was absolutely thrilled by the movie. Routh was intense and so much like more like the Superman I'd always imagined -- I never thought I'd say this, but he took the character from Chris Reeve's level and cranked it up a few more notches -- Clark more subtle and believable, Superman more serious and with a range of emotion that was... well thrilling.
 Cheesy
I can always take or leave the villians  :roll: -- and the less I have to see of them the beter -- if I was to remake the film just for me, I'd cut down Lex and his minions to half the screen time and put back some Clark and Supes.

Lois  -- No one has ever been good enough  -- I'm Canadian, and I never much liked Margo Kidder. Too scrawny, too raunchy. Bosworth at least has a strength combined with dignity -- perhaps her humour will return after she gets over being pissed at Supes.

I wish they'd had a decent kiss at least.
 :cry:
Chalk the obligatory Culkin up to Hollywood's love affair with "Family" lately -- everyone's having kids now I think it's a knee-jerk response to what rounds out a story. :?

Superman realized it was his son and gave him the speech. There's no question it's his kid -- you could tell he was doing some sort of
x-ray/microscopic action as he stood by the side of his bed.

Well enough for my first post  -- loved the movie, will buy the DVD and spend more hours of my life soaking up all the Superman I can.
 :lol:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L