superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonFREE WEB E-MAIL!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:56:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just saw the flick...[SPOILERS]  (Read 1742 times)
Criadoman
Superman Family

« on: July 01, 2006, 05:14:18 AM »

Well - I've read every review I could find, and read every spoiler I could read, and finally saw this flick just a few hours ago.  I am a diehard Superman fan since 1973, and to sum it up in a sentence what I thought of the movie...

This Movie ROCKED!!!!!!

I think that Singer had his work cut out for him.  For those of us in the know - we understood the development H-E-double toothpicks that ensured over the last many years.  But, from the viewpoint of the overall public, all there was, was nothing.  There really wasn't much to jump in on, unless someone wanted to go hit the comic shops, watch Saturday morning synidcated live-action Superboy, or catch Lois & Clark (which despite how much we diehards complained about it - at least in my family, the show got Superman a few more fans) - not much.

I really can't believe how Singer managed to capture so many different incarnations of Superman in one movie - it had something for everyone.  My kids loved it, my wife (who hates comics) loved it.

1st, Singer managed to basically pick up where Superman 2 left off and immediately you got the feel of this being a sequel.  From the opening credits right to Luthor's 1st scene (shades of Gene Hackman).  And boy, this Luthor is just more evil.  Perfect!

Then, Kal-El returns and back to the Kent farm - beautifully laid out a la Donner.  A nice piece of whitebread Americana, and a gentle reminder of who Kal is and how exciting it was to find out what he could do - and beautifully rendered (vs. the obvious Jeff East running on a wire).  It was real!

Then the fun begins.  A nice Superman rescue with some really iconic imagery.  The movie just moved so seamlessly from one scene to another - the cheers, the gratitude, just wonderful the way the world at large loved him in the movie.  It was perfect - and very Adventures of Superman.

Clark's reintegration into the Planet was exactly correct.  Mind you, Clark was an unobtusive character as it was.  Frankly, he really shouldn't have been all that missed by anyone at the Planet.  He intends not to stand out and tries to disappear into the woodwork.  So - he just comes back, it's supposed to be no big deal.

Now - my favorite aspect of the movie... I love the kid!

Singer was gutsy with this and I think it paid off.  It was brilliant!  This is something that the comics just wouldn't go for.  I mean, if Lois and Clark are married in the comics - kids should be the next item on the list!  From the 2nd movie, let us not forget that Clark decided to begin a new life with Lois, and decided to be with her and forsake all his powers.  Well, the fact that Supes disappears for 5 years and comes back, and if it was truly the epic love that the couple is supposed to be in - the boy was a no-brainer and the right thing to do.  There is so much potential in this, I can't wait to see how this turns out in the sequels.

Yes - Lex was off into his land deals again.  Ok - so what?  He got stopped hard the 1st time - thereby developing a real hatred for Supes.  Of course, thinking Supes is gone, he's gonna try for it again - and why not.  Who's gonna stop him?  Ok - Supes is back, change of plans.

So what if the island is craggy and rough?  Don't forget that the Kryptonians hollowed out their living quarters on those.  Possibly there is some terraforming technology that the crystals also had and could be programmed to make that.

Richard White is a good character and it will be good to see him developed more in the sequel.

The Superman effects were just beautiful.  Ok, occasionally you catch a little CGI.  If you're really critical, you can see a lot.  But, still, it was just as strong as any other CGI I've seen and in many cases, quite a bit better.  The shuttle scene, the airplane rescue, the continent lift, bank robbery, beautiful.

I loved that they used Supes hovering more.  The heat vision was perfect, but I love the Smallville heat vision.  It was great that they kept that in.  Lots of eye candy of Superman in classic poses, Action #1, etc.

Even some Byrne's of his trying to keep from getting photographed or be seen around photographs of his secret ID.  (Boy - Johnny made so much of a big stink.  The best part is about his little tirade... this movie will probably get him more work offers and send people to the MOS series he did in '86.  "Lessons"?Huh?)

Jimmy looks like he figures out Clark and Supes are one in the same.  I like this.

There is so much to say good about this movie.  So much.

The movie was done in a very real fashion (considering the subject matter).

Bosworth got some flack in reviews for her portrayal.  I so sincerely disagree with those since seeing the movie.  The fact is that she doesn't know what to make of anything in the position she's in now.  She's hurting and confused and vunerable.  Exactly what she should be in the position she's in now.

There have been a few comments of Supes being a deadbeat dad.  What the heck? and what a crock!  He only finds out at the end of the flick.  He had no clue his genetics would fly with a human's.  Also - he still hasn't any clue that Lois wants to be with him again.  He's handling this exactly the way he should be.  Relationships are probably relationships no matter where you are in the universe.  There is nothing particularly wrong or even out of character in what's happening.

The last 1/2 hour for me was the highlight of the flick.

This movie defines Superman for a new generation and I sincerely believe it does a fabulous job in this - and makes people care for the character.  Singer and crew did a bang up job, and I am happy with the product.

Actually, the only thing that I absolutely hated about the movie is seeing "Jon Peters" in the credits.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L