superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe ADVENTURES of SUPERBOY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:50:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ROBBY REEDS REVIEW AT DIAL B  (Read 15951 times)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« on: July 01, 2006, 12:02:55 PM »

Or should I say EVIL Robby Reed (the same guy who savaged Infinity Crap so brilliantly)

http://dialbforblog.com/

For my money, nuff said!
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 02:23:11 PM »

Darn! No, Gorilla Witch this time around, what's next?

Aside from the colorful language and huge, albeit, obvious spoilers within, I still want to see Superman Returns. Robby was excited about Superman Returns after finishing Infinite Crisis, so it stands to reason even after his review I still want to be bored.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 02:45:32 PM »

I enjoyed the movie. I think of it this way:

1) Hey, at least EVIL ROBBY REED didn't have as much material to work with as he did with Infinite Crisis. Each scathing review of each single issue of Infinite Crisis was longer than this one. That's improvement.

2) While the movie still had Jon Peters' name on it, it wasn't really Jon Peter's Superman movie. And I'm grateful for that.

3) While the beginning and ending of the movie seemed...kind of wrong...I feel sure that they will be better in the Director's Cut. The movie was long, and they cut a lot of footage out.

4) This is still the best Superman thing to happen in about 25 years. The lack of dialogue would be the writer's fault, not Bryan Singer's, and whoever wrote this did a far better job than any of the writers hired in the 90s would have. Or the person who wrote Superman III.

The movie was still too long for kids, though. I had a little girl sitting near me in the movie theater, and she was asking questions like "Why is he hurting?" and "After this one, is it over?"

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 02:51:53 PM »

and with this piece http://dialbforblog.com/action1.jpg his credibility as a real fan is dies a painful death, since of course they did recreate the cover of AC No.1 with the run away car scene, green car and all.

That scene clearly recreated the classic Atlas pose.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 03:22:37 PM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
and with this piece http://dialbforblog.com/action1.jpg his credibility as a real fan is dies a painful death, since of course they did recreate the cover of AC No.1 with the run away car scene, green car and all.

That scene clearly recreated the classic Atlas pose.

I pointed that out myself on the message board.

Altho it is JON PETER's Superman -- darker & more 'realistic' (less selfless), wears a black suit (in the Kent crash footage) and fight three polar bears (Luthors goons)

No giant robot spide though - that went to Wild Wild West! :roll:

Believe me, more than anyone, I wanted to be able to praise this to the high heavens if it were good.

BIG IF, there kids..
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 03:32:47 PM »

The suit was gray!

However, I will take this moment to point out how much I HATE Christ imagery!!

I am a Christian, of sorts. I want to be more like Christ. But what I don't want is to see Superman/Spider-Man/Scott Stapp/Tom Welling POSING as Christ! Enough already!

-"Superman", 1960

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 03:58:29 PM »

It IS kind of weird how he totally blew the Action #1 analogy...

I have to admit that many of his points have some underlying truth, I suppose it is up to those watching it to judge how much...

Some of his best points for me were the beating by the goons (which I didn't find too gory but which reminded me of a ham-handed Passion of the Christ, and I never even SAW Passion of the Christ) and his points about the intro, which to me simply re-trod the Smallville years of discovery with better CGI, Australian locations, and less a sense of wonder for a second time...

There is a lot of repetition too, and with less dialog, it doesn't seem as good...

I always try to think about an angle that might have made an interesting movie (not necessarily a better comic characterization), and to me, the most interesting missing bit is why Lois wrote and the world honored an article of writing called "Why the World Doesn't Need a Superman"...that's a missing piece the movie could have picked up on for me...

For me, the movie succeeded the most when Superman used his powers, and I can give the movie credit for visually realizing them, but as story items those are properties of Superman that pre-exist the movie itself.
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 04:52:32 PM »

Some of his best points for me were the beating by the goons (which I didn't find too gory but which reminded me of a ham-handed Passion of the Christ, and I never even SAW Passion of the Christ)

It reminded me of Spider-Man's merciless beating that lasted for about 5 minutes in the first movie. It wasn't fun to watch, so I'm glad I've never seen the Passion of the Christ.

Robby's  complaints about how evil Luthor was are unfounded, if you've ever read The Death of Superman or seen the first movie...but greed as his primary motivation didn't fit well.

Overall, I thought that Bryan Singer showed a tremendous amount of respect for his source material (The Donner film and Fleisher cartoons.) As I said before, any problems in the story were primarily the writer's fault.

-"Superman", 1960

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L