superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:59:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ROBBY REEDS REVIEW AT DIAL B  (Read 15949 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2006, 01:05:12 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey"
Superman Returns was not a parody no matter how much you didn't like it.

Pokes Jax-Ur in his good eye.....

As I run for my life!

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2006, 05:08:58 AM »

Klar, as someone who has read quite a number of Sherlock Holmes pastiches, I think you have made an excellent observation and I thank you for it.

Superman Returns, like most Holmes pastiches, does an incredible job at imitating the most minute details and of sounding and looking just like the real thing; but it also gets so much wrong and is sadly missing the heart and soul.

And now knowing Superman Returns for what it is - a Superman pastiche - I can appreciate it.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2006, 06:41:59 AM »

Ah Rao, another reader of Robt L. Fish! :wink:
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2006, 07:30:09 PM »

We should probably have a thread for suitably stimulating Superman Returns reviews and recaps.  Here's one to add to the list:

http://teh-no.livejournal.com/120523.html
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2006, 07:41:03 PM »

I agree "pastiche" is a pretty apt description.  The odd thing is I still like it better than the originals.

As has been remarked above, SR repeats the basic structure of S:TM almost slavishly, with a little of S:II thrown in (like Luthor accessing the fortress).  And in several places, the dialog is a direct lift from the earlier films (in the case of the Jor-El speech now being used by Kal-El at the end, it works.  Elsewhere -- "hope this hasn't put you off flying"..."my dad always said to me"...and so on...it's annoying.  How many of us in real life go around repeating the same speeches all the time?).  BUT...in my case, I think the new film holds together better structurally than the older ones, and does a better job of serving up what I want to see in a Superman movie.  

All of which raises the question: Can a film be superior to another film when in fact it owes so much to said film?  Even if SR does it better, S:TM did it first, so does Singer get full credit for creating something, or is he just the equivalent of a film editor with a huge budget?  I mean, I can make some kick-butt improvements to my house, but that doesn't make me an architect, does it?

Bottom line for me though is that I don't much care.  I'm not really of the opinion that superhero films can qualify as "art" no matter who's making them.  They are commodities, really...franchises, and auteurs need not apply.  It's been said that the Bond films are a series of one film (Dr No) and 19 remakes.  Yet how many people rate Dr No as the best just because it was first?  Sometimes with characters and franchises like these you're allowed to repeat the formula forever with only subtle variations...sometimes the results are better, sometimes worse, but if I like "The Spy Who Loved Me" better than "Thunderball" that's generally accepted as a valid opinion to have.  And if I like SR better than S:TM it's the same thing, in my opinion.

So...has Singer crafted a unique new vision of Superman on film? No, but then I never thought he would and said as much on this board way back when it was revealed SR would be a "sequel" to S:TM and S:II.  But he did create a great piece of entertainment for my money.

No superhero film has ever cracked my Top 20 list of films and likely none ever will.  But taken for what it is...a superhero movie...SR is probably my favorite, with the possible exception of The Incredibles.

This looks like a job for...
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2006, 07:49:59 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
No superhero film has ever cracked my Top 20 list of films and likely none ever will.  But taken for what it is...a superhero movie...SR is probably my favorite, with the possible exception of The Incredibles.

I've never thought about it, but no super hero movie comes close to making my top movie list either, though King Kong (1933) and Nosferatu (1924) do, and I liked DC comics more than monster or horror movies as a little kid...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L