superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:36:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Very First Super Boy!  (Read 6634 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: July 02, 2006, 04:46:08 AM »

As many of you already know, William Aronis, winner of the 1940 Superman Day "Super-Boy" contest, recently wrote in to tell us all about it.

He also sent in some photos taken after the winners were picked and the trophies awarded, which have just gone online:

http://superman.nu/sites/supermanday/photos/

Thanks William - and congratulations!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 05:56:22 PM »

I think that those adults around Maureen and William in the 2nd to last photo on the page are historically important personages, but I don't know yet who they are.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 07:09:15 PM »

The guy on William's left looks awfully familiar - perhaps an avaitor of the day?
dto
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 06:21:46 AM »

Excellent photos, Great Rao!  These certainly are superior to my poor microfilm scan.  Now we have enough details to seriously consider that "cover art" idea.

By the way, look at the girl over William Aronis' left shoulder in the last photo.  She's wearing a triangular "S-shield".

It would be nice if Mr. Aronis can provide us with more personal recollections of this special day.  Certainly it doesn't seem to get enough attention from Superman fans and scholars.

And Happy Superman Day!  July 3rd is the 66th anniversary of this event!   Best wishes to William Aronis (and to Maureen Reynolds), the FIRST "Superboy" and "Supergirl"!  Cheesy

DTO
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 06:53:54 AM »

Quote from: "dto"
By the way, look at the girl over William Aronis' left shoulder in the last photo.  She's wearing a triangular "S-shield".

Very cool, I hadn't noticed that!

Happy Superman Day!

S!

dto
Action Ace

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 09:01:26 AM »

It's hard to tell with the shadows and her hat, but I think the lady to the left of Maureen Reynolds in the second-to-the-last photo was Olympic swimming star Eleanor Holm, who was performing in the Billy Rose Aquacade at the New York World's Fair.  She was one of the judges for the Superboy/Supergirl contest:

Photos:

http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1939/1101390821_400.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/polarbw/eleanorholm1.jpg

Biography:

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0391490/bio

http://www.ishof.org/66eholm.html

DTO
Sol
Superman's Pal

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 10:05:07 PM »

The handsome, well-dressed fellow on Mr. Aronis' left in the second to last picture is Broadway star Ray Middleton - the man who, I believe, has been mistakenly identified as the person portraying Superman at the Fair.

To view an autographed photo of Mr. Middleton for comparison:

Thank you, Mr. Aronis, for writing in to the website and showing us these fantastic pictures!

Sol

"You're Superman.  Superman doesn't get Lois Lane."

"He doesn't?  What does Superman get?"

"He gets to be Superman."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L