superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:29:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SR BOX OFFICE  (Read 20193 times)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 11:30:49 PM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
Don't you be messin' with Townsville's finest!  The Powerpuff Girls was a decent movie and, AFAICT, it met its budget.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0289408/business

Proud to be corrected, because I've always loved the Powerpuff Girls. (This is going to sound less and less heterosexual as I go on.) I first saw it when I was BABYSITTING my teacher's kid, and she was watching cartoons. I thought the show was FABULOUS! When the movie came out, I excitedly went to see it with my SEVERAL MALE ROOMMATES, and we were some of the only unsupervised adults in the theater.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 12:29:42 AM »

Hey the Power Puff Girls rock - and I have no excuse at all. An evil turban wearing supervillian monkey named Mojo JoJo VS 3 Super-girls - whats NOT to love?
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 02:35:49 AM »

Quote from: "Klar Ken T5477"
Hey the Power Puff Girls rock - and I have no excuse at all. An evil turban wearing supervillian monkey named Mojo JoJo VS 3 Super-girls - whats NOT to love?

I like the PPGs as well.

Anyone notice how much Mojo's origin story and motivations mirror that of the Silver Age Luthor's? (Both had cranium-altering lab accidents, both of them wrongfully blame someone else [Superboy/Man, the Powerpuff Girls] for their unfortunate plight in life/for being overlooked in favor of the flashy heroes, etc.)

King Krypton
Superman Family

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 06:32:21 AM »

According to TMZ. com, if Returns doesn't make $200 million by summer's end, WB's pulling the plug on any possible sequels. And even if the movie hits $200 million, WB is said to be planning a strict $150 million budget for any sequel project, as opposed to the $200 million spent to shoot this film (and the nearly $100 million overhead caused by the Jon Peters.Tim Burton. JJ Abrams/ McG/Brett Ratner attempts).

My first novella, Wounds of the Heart (http://www.booksurge.com/product.php3?bookID=IMPR02655-00001), has been published. Check it out, if you like.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 03:47:14 PM »

Quote from: "King Krypton"
According to TMZ. com, if Returns doesn't make $200 million by summer's end, WB's pulling the plug on any possible sequels. And even if the movie hits $200 million, WB is said to be planning a strict $150 million budget for any sequel project, as opposed to the $200 million spent to shoot this film (and the nearly $100 million overhead caused by the Jon Peters.Tim Burton. JJ Abrams/ McG/Brett Ratner attempts).

Total grosses as of July 9, 2006
Domestic:     $141,642,667       79.8%
+ Foreign:     $35,800,000       20.2%
= Worldwide:     $177,442,667

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 05:09:30 PM »

With the foreign release, this film is easily going to do 200 million, probably closer to 600 million by the end of the Summer...
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 06:59:26 PM »

I suspect that Superman Returns will do a lot of damage in the global box office - and probably do really well against Pirates as well in that arena.  We'll have to see but apparently the movie did extremely well in areas internationally (that weren't affected by the World Cup).  Suprisingly well and record breaking in those.

I was also making a point to another poster in another board regarding his "box office predictions" and sequels.

Many of us might remember the big hype surrounding Godzilla in 1998.  That movie did less than it's budget (it was the most expensive movie at the time to make) - but get this... it grossed internationally over $350mil.  That ain't no bad apples - and really it could be considered a successful flick in its own right.

But - it was popular opinion that killed the film here in the US.

So - I believe the $600Mil prediction is pretty solid on what little data I have on how well it's done in the International market - but really I don't think we are in any danger of not seeing a sequel.  The Superman franchise is "the" superhero franchise - and just bringing a sequel like Superman Returns to the theatre is really breaking new ground, particularly in the aspect of deleting two films from the franchise basically - and picking up many, many years after the fact of the 1st two.  I expected a mixed reaction to this idea, but I believe it's solid enough to warrant another continuation rather than a reboot.

Honestly, I also believe money is a hell of a lot tighter this year than last as well - so people are gonna fire at the better word of mouth than the mixed word of mouth.  Taking my kids, wife and I - we spent quite a little bit of money to see it, and we'll wait on Pirates to come on DVD to see that.  Movie going has been out of my monthly budget for quite some time.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 08:33:56 PM »

I'm basing 600 million on around what "King Kong" did, and that was dissappointing to many that expected more...foreign release on "Superman Returns" is delayed in many countries and usually comes in big for these kinds of movies, and let's face it, DVD sales are going to be big bread and butter money too...I see little chance that this is going to be any kind of real "failure" and that a sequel won't be made.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L