superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:13:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Political response to SUPERMAN RETURNS  (Read 11600 times)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 01:57:16 AM »

Am I the only one to find it more than a little loopy to have environmentalists as supervillains?

Nope, you certainly aren't. I always thought there should be a Superman story in which he was taking a similar stand, even to the point of breaking the law so that a bit of rainforest would remain untouched or something. You're right, Superman being a leftwinger didn't last very long, but then, these were the Reagan/Bush sr. years. We still had the Berlin Wall back then! Wow, takes you back.
Has there become such an anxiety about the mass media that even something that should be below the radar like SUPERMAN RETURNS now suddenly acquires suspicion and scrutiny?

That does seem to be the way things are. There's probably a whole bunch of chaps going through the text of The Very Hungry Caterpillar in search of subversion. We seem to have been cursed to live in interesting times.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 03:18:30 AM »

Well politically I'm slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun and I loved the movie.

Although, I admit I have no idea how I'm going to explain to my kids how Jason is Superman's son.  But it'll be a few years before they can see this film, anyway.  (That beating Supes gets is pretty rough.  Considering my 3-year-old is still upset that the faceless, cartoon Cingular mascot got his head pulled off in a recent commercial, I don't think he's ready to see Superman stabbed in the back and beaten to a pulp).

This looks like a job for...
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 03:54:28 AM »

Like Nightwing, I'm very to the right and I loved the movie, but then I don't examine everyhing with a political microscope.
 I'd rather keep most of my comic heroes apolitical thanks. Marv Wolfman's old teen Titans story " A pretty girl is like a Mallidi" pissed me off on so many levels it pretty much killed the titans form me.
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 04:09:46 AM »

Addressing various points:

1. Superman and gays: Well, this leftist gay guy likes Superman (and comics), but agree with the previous remarks above re: Superman's "supposed" non-heterosexuality.

Re: do gay guys like comics/superheroes: Of course! Here's a fair-sized site dedicated to gays and lesbians in comics (as characters/writers/artists/etc.):

http://www.gayleague.com

2. "American Way": I assumed it was dropped out of marketing reasons vs. characterization-related reasons, since the film will be playing overseas, and all.

IIRC, the Flesicher cartoons just used "truth and justice"; "the American Way" was added with the 50's TV show.

3. "Lois is a slut": I admit I don't much like the idea of Superman having a kid with Lois without being married to her (or even knowing about it until film's end), but more out of my assumption that any kid they'd have together would be with the two as life partners/married, not with the kid growing up not knowing who his real dad is and being raised by Cyclops. ;-)  That, and I guess the implication that someone like Superman (or Lois) were that inattentive toward something like birth control usage I have a hard time buying (unless Clark wasn't paying much attention during sex ed lessons at Smallville High or something...).

As for the Byrne bashing, guess there's something for both sides of the political aisle to agree on. ;-)

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 04:24:56 AM »

Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"

2. "American Way": I assumed it was dropped out of marketing reasons vs. characterization-related reasons, since the film will be playing overseas, and all.

IIRC, the Flesicher cartoons just used "truth and justice"; "the American Way" was added with the 50's TV show.

Exactly, not only did the TV series introduce this but actually had the flag waving behind him...and it was syndicated for two decades...I don't wonder why people think this is "the" quote anymore than people can sing the theme song to "Gilligan's Island"...
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 04:54:21 AM »

Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"
3. "Lois is a slut": I admit I don't much like the idea of Superman having a kid with Lois without being married to her (or even knowing about it until film's end), but more out of my assumption that any kid they'd have together would be with the two as life partners/married, not with the kid growing up not knowing who his real dad is and being raised by Cyclops.

Yeah. that's another thing: of all the good looking-but-in-an-inoffensive-way leading men in Hollywood, why did they have to pick the guy that played Cyclops in the X-Men movie? I mean, the last X-Picture came out a FEW MONTHS ago, this is fresh in our minds, here.

Lois married to Cyclops? She always struck me as being more a "Dr. Strange" kinda girl.

This reminds me of all those sixties Leo Dorfman/Schaffenberger Lois Lane stories where she's always getting married to someone else or another, whether it be Batman, or Lex Luthor, or a space ameoba.

I can just imagine the cover now: Superman is creeping outside the window of the Lois Lane/Cyclops residence, with a shocked expression and thought bubble over his head

"GREAT KRYPTON! I've returned from SPACE after FIVE YEARS to find Lois Lane is married to CYCLOPS!!!"

Story box: A GREAT IMAGINARY STORY: "LOIS LANE, MS. MUTANT MARVEL!"

Inside, you'd have Cyclops with his visor blasting a cooking board with onions that Lois Lane is chopping, apron and all.

"Here, HONEY! My ruby quartz beam should make dicing a SNAP!"

And beside them, there's a little kid with the distinctive one-eyed visor...

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 01:17:03 PM »

Long time Superman fans know that Lois Lane has had a few boyfriends in the comics besides Superman, in fact that will be the next section I will add to her entry.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 02:04:34 PM »

Disturbingly, she even went on a date with Robin.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L