superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:17:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Up, up, and away  (Read 4531 times)
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« on: July 07, 2006, 08:14:15 PM »

I am curious to read your reactions to the Kurt Busiek's first story arc now that's it completed. I found it to be okay with potential for future plots. What's your verdict?

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 12:12:17 AM »

I've only casually read this...  am sorta waiting for the trade.  My general feel is that this feels a little more like the Superman I know and love, though it seems like it took too long to get there for no obvious reason.  The writing was hunky-dory.

I've read that the parallels between this and Superman Returns are unintentional, but I appreciate the accidental synergies nonetheless.

I'm somewhat curious about how his "different" senses will play into things.  He's expressing that he doesn't feel quite the same as he did the last time he did when he had powers before, how everything is clearer.  

Clark should've kept the power ring.  It'd be handy for those Red Sun Green K Black Magic blues, I tellya, and it already had his monogram on it.  Smiley
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 04:47:05 AM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
I've only casually read this...  am sorta waiting for the trade.  My general feel is that this feels a little more like the Superman I know and love, though it seems like it took too long to get there for no obvious reason.  The writing was hunky-dory.

I agree - this Superman is the real Superman and the writing was very well done.  The story was great, Superman was great, Jimmy was great, Luthor was great - everybody was great.  Lex in a giant transformer robot.  More details about the crystals from Krypton.  Jimmy gets a signal watch.  The endling left me excited, uplifted, and wanting more.  It has me looking forward to picking up the books and I have a newfound  appreciation for hot pretzels.

This story has something to add to the legend.

As to "no obvious reason":  It seems like this is a prologue to what could really just be a jumping on point.  It's an in-continuity explanation for those who need it as to why Superman now has a movie fortress and Maggin-level powers and skill-set.  A transition from the Iron Age Superman to what's coming next.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 06:13:30 AM »

Up, Up, and Away is simply the best Superman story presented in the regular titles that I have read in years.
MichaelBailey
Superman Emergency Squad

This Ain't No Sippin' Tea

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 07:00:25 PM »

Jimmy had a signal watch when Byrne wrote the book.  It was revealed in World of Metropolis #4 that Jimmy built the watch when a friend of his was in need of medical help.

Anyway...(shakes off geek dust)...I absolutely loved this story arc.  Geoff Johns and Kurt Busiek have put Superman back on track.  I was very happy with what Mark Verheiden, Greg Rucka and Gail Simone did on a dramatic level it is nice to have some semblence of order back in Superman's life.  The writers added the new abilities and history organically, which I always appreciate.

Great story arc.  Looking forward to the future.

"I now own well over 13,000 comic books.  Most people would call this a hobby.  I prefer to call it was it actually is; a hopeless addiction." -MRB
Just a fan
Superman Family

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 04:28:14 PM »

This has become my favorite story line by DC in years. Superman is realy super again and Jimmy is more like the Jimmy from the early days then he has been since the early 70's. The reason Jimmy is Supermans pal is Jimmy was never just a kid used to advance plot lines, he would and has on many occasions placed himself in mortal danger to help Superman or anyone else that needed it. in other words the new/old Jimmy Olsen ROCKS

No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a child
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 08:52:15 AM »

I have only a big problem with this storyline, and it's its lenght.
8 episodes to reintroduce Superman in the post-IC universe. How many stories could I read in those 8 issues?
As a Superman reader, in the last years I have often spent my time waiting for something. A relaunch is about to begin? Good. But, before, I must read a crossover. Sigh.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L