superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:40:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 52 questions... uh... Question about 52  (Read 3305 times)
dmat
Supermen of America

« on: July 09, 2006, 04:18:42 AM »

Just wondering if anyone has been following this series and if they have any opinions about it?  Personally, I don't think it's that bad.  The detective aspects are enjoyable.  Seeing a new superhero in Metropolis and a depowered Clark Kent vowing to find out who it is, is an interesting idea.  Seeing Clark Kent play reporter/detective for a prolonged period would be fun, well, to me anyway.  I hope DC does more with it.

The one thing that bugs me is Lex's plan to "give" superpowers to virtually anyone that wants it.  Wasn't this the same idea used by the villain Syndrome in the Disney/Pixar film The Incredibles back in 2004?  Maybe Lex saw the movie and was inspired?

MichaelBailey
Superman Emergency Squad

This Ain't No Sippin' Tea

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 07:08:50 PM »

I'm enjoying it.  It definitely has dramatic potential and I'm usually behind any project that takes supposed second tier characters and uses them in interesting ways.  Montoya was a favorite before the series and I like the fact that the Question is involved.  The new Batwoman is shaping up nicely.  The Steel sub-plot is giving me pause but I am interested.  And I'm willing to give the Lex giving the masses super powers thing a shot because I know there is probably a lot more to it than a cheap Incredibles copy.

"I now own well over 13,000 comic books.  Most people would call this a hobby.  I prefer to call it was it actually is; a hopeless addiction." -MRB
SteamTeck
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 01:56:45 AM »

Quote from: "MichaelBailey"
I'm enjoying it.  It definitely has dramatic potential and I'm usually behind any project that takes supposed second tier characters and uses them in interesting ways.  Montoya was a favorite before the series and I like the fact that the Question is involved.  The new Batwoman is shaping up nicely.  The Steel sub-plot is giving me pause but I am interested.  And I'm willing to give the Lex giving the masses super powers thing a shot because I know there is probably a lot more to it than a cheap Incredibles copy.

You have a lot more faith then me. All I see is some good supposed 2nd tier characters whom I like being spoiled. Same old, same old for modern DC. I must admit I LOATHE the whole metagene theory right up there with the speedforce so I have no use for the whole storyline.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 07:48:30 AM »

What I find the most interesting about 52 is the Booster Gold subplot. He's a profoundly sympathetic character, for the same reason as someone like Witchfire from POWER COMPANY or the Mantis from AVENGERS: not in spite of, but BECAUSE he behaves badly, makes mistakes, and he occasionally has undone priorities, and because the writers emphasize that he's not that bright.

The goal of this miniseries is a sharp one: without the presence of some of the more famous heroes, who for various reasons have decided to leave for a year, lesser-known heroes have risen to the occasion and have their own intriguing stories.

In that spirit, Booster Gold has decided to go about and make his dream of being a big shot a reality - and with the death of his friend Beetle, he's started saying "Yeah, it IS ALL ABOUT ME!" Setting him up for a fall, and possibly redemption. His story and the Elongated Man's intertwine, when E-Man discovers that Booster Gold knew and could have prevented the death of Sue turns Elongated Man against him.

I'm reminded of the heroes that are lost in space - Adam Strange is e'er the confident hero type: "I'll get us home - even if I don't have eyes to see!" Wow. That's the Adam Strange I know.

The execution of the story in real-time is also interesting a mechanic - there are so many heroes that it "jumps" from day-to-day.

The story I am the least interested in is the Montoya story - the Question gets a lot of killer dialogue, though.

And the cliffhanger ending to #7? Let's just say that an old Kirby fan like me was holding his breath at the revalation at the "serpent" that was in the "paradise" that the space heroes discovered! 'Nuff Said!

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
dmat
Supermen of America

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 02:17:40 AM »

Just got last week's 52, and after reading it, well, so much for the Clark Kent reporter angle.  One issue, and it's done.  Easy come, easy go I guess.  Still, it was interesting seeing Clark get his pink slip...

Sorry if I implied Lex was ripping off the Incredibles.  Of course he isn't, he's got a much bigger plan.  Why has Lex given powers to his enemy (Steel) and perfect strangers, and not himself?  Obviously there's some kind of hidden cost involved.

It'd be nice if they could include a recap for 52 in each issue, at least for the stories that are going to be focussed on in that particular issue.  It would make it easier for other folks to give it a try, and give people with lousy memory (me) a bit of a reprieve.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L