superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe ADVENTURES of SUPERBOY!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:09:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Historical Superman Files....  (Read 43817 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2006, 05:10:22 AM »

Quote from: "binarysunrise"
I also have a series of a dozen articles surrounding his death and the investigation.  Should I post them?

I think that's beating a dead horse.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
lastson
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2006, 05:17:26 AM »

Wow -- in about an hour or so you've very nicely colored in some amazing details of Superman's history as a character.  Major kudos to you for sharing this info instead of grasping onto it like it's a frightened, breathing Action #1.   Sharing is good!  

I feel inspired to join in -- like you I've been knee deep in microfilm and newspapers for two years working on a book and film on the boys (www.lastson.greendoorfilms.com) and this site has been a HUGE oasis for me with nothing but the nicest people and the best information.  I've seen most of this stuff in the library but you are the first to track down the actual piece about Joe being arrested -- that's always been a kind of urban legend.  Nice detective work. You've inspired me to post some of my own soon, so get ready Superphiles, you ain't seen nuthin' yet!

(Well, actually you have because this stuff here is great but felt like a Stan Lee moment there).

Anyway, here's my addition to that great Macy's stuff you posted.  I have some footage of the next float in the early sixties but here is the sad (but patriotic!) fate of that first great balloon that scared away all those poor Manhattanite dogs.

And oh yeah, I want that tank!!!

Thanks again!
-Brad

www.lastson.greendoorfilms.com

[/img]
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2006, 06:25:08 AM »

Hm. Interesting.  I thought I had found out the fate of that Superman balloon from the 1940 parade.  The following year, 1941, they had a giant football player which a review said "looked suspiciously like the Superman of 1940 repainted."

Which begs the question...your article said that the parade wouldn't be held.  What year is it from?  Obviously it isn't 1940 when the Superman balloon ran, or 1941 when the football player ran.  But if it was afterwards, and still looked like Superman, than I guess the 1941 was a duplicate model??

The Speeding Bullet
   http://www.thespeedingbullet.com
--an archive of Superman newspaper strips--
lastson
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2006, 01:10:36 PM »

my bad -- it ran Nov 14, 1942 in the Times.  

That does looks a lot like Supes -- but why then would they say the Mayor deflated Superman?  

Maybe it was the Macy's float from Earth-2...

-Brad
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2006, 01:50:42 PM »

Is the clock to make sure Superman doesn't stay out past his bedtime??
From October 1953:

The Speeding Bullet
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2006, 01:51:45 PM »

From November 1955:

The Speeding Bullet
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2006, 01:52:29 PM »

Also November 1955:

The Speeding Bullet
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2006, 01:54:49 PM »

Ok, so ixnay on the death/investigation/funeral/litigation surrounding George Reeves.

How about articles on the 1966 musical "It's a Bird...It's a Plane"?  I posted one review, but there are other reviews, articles on sales, letters to the editor complaining about the postive reviews, and ads for the play.

Let me know if you want them, otherwise I'll stick with other superman files.

The Speeding Bullet
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L