superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:18:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Behind the Scenes: The K-Metal Font  (Read 4486 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« on: July 19, 2006, 09:51:58 PM »

In the last few days, some of the K-Metal pages that are already online have been completely re-lettered with a new font.

Back when I first began lettering the story, I searched around quite a bit for a font that looked appropriate for a 1940 comic book and matched the one that had been used in the original artwork.  The best I could find was Blambot's free Anime Ace font; but I was never completely satisfied with it and always had an eye open for alternatives.

I never found an alternative, so I finally decided to make one myself - and in order to make sure that it matched the original artwork, I used the original artwork as the source for the letters.

See this page for details.

All of the existing pages will be re-lettered with this font, and it will also be used as we continue onward.  So in a way, the original 1940 letterer will also be lettering the new pages.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 11:47:37 PM »

The easy follow up question would be if you will ever make this font available to download?

If not now, perhaps after the K-Metal story is complete?

BTW, I am very impress and amaze on the amount of work and care that is being poured into this project.

I would just like to thank everyone involved for making it possible.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 08:59:34 PM »

The re-lettering is almost done - just one more page left to go.

As far as whether or not the font will be generally available, I'm going to wait until after the story is done before deciding.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 11:11:24 PM »

I would wait, just in case someone decides to use it for a pro comic  and take credit for it.

It happens  :pencil:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Criadoman
Superman Family

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 05:45:34 AM »

Thank you very much Super Monkey.  Believe me when I say how completely impressed I was when Tor 1st announced to me his new font.  There is a lot of love and care going into the project - and I appreciate your noticing it.

"If I print "She was stark naked"--& then proceeded to describe her person in detail, what critic would not howl?--but the artist does this & all ages gather around & look & talk & point." - Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L