superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:54:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World's Finest! Retro style  (Read 8559 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: July 20, 2006, 11:34:52 PM »

I am sure people here will dig this, and yes it's from a new modern comic book:

http://www.newsarama.com/general/wright/JLA00_01.jpg

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 12:56:12 AM »

That's page 1 from the new Justice League of America series, issue #0, written by novelist Brad Meltzer.
For those who may not pick up the issue but are curious to know the dialogue and captions from that same page....here you are:

(SPOILERS)

First off, the scene takes place shortly after the first time the original seven members of the JLA fought off the alien creatures that emerged from the meteors. That's right! Thanks to Infinite Crisis...Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are founding members of the JLA once more! In this scene, Superman tries to convince a skeptical Batman to help form the League. The art in the link is from page one of that exchange.

PAGE 1, Panel 1:

CAPTION: Yesterday. Gotham City. The Cave.

SUPERMAN NARRATION CAPTION: That first day, Bruce was excited. Especially during the fight.  Team-Ups were still new back then.  But afterwards...it didn't take super-hearing to catch the anxiousness in his voice.

PAGE 1, Panel 2:

Batman: This League...think it'll work?

Superman: Why wouldn't it work?

Batman: Teams aren't easy, Clark. The dynamics--all the personalities...

Superman: And that's a bad thing?

PAGE 1, Panel 3:

SUPERMAN NARRATION CAPTION: At first, I assumed he was just being protective of our friendship.

Batman: Clark, I almost got turned into a diamond.

PAGE 1, Panel 4:

Superman: We still won.

Batman: My arms and legs were diamond. I could see prisms in my ankles. There was a man who ran at Mach 4--

Superman: He was actually running Mach 6.

JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 01:11:13 AM »

That's Brad Meltzer's JLA. He's said over and over that he's a big fan of Steve Englehart and the Sattellite Years. Of course, my dream writer would be Kurt Busiek, but Brad is a hell of a consolation prize, to be sure!

Brad Meltzer was in Miami a few years back as a part of the Jewish Heritage Book Tour in Miami, where they invited various Jewish authors to this city (Isaac Bashevis Singer, for instance, lived the last years of his life in Miami Beach).

I was able to meet Brad Meltzer there and get him to sign my ARROW'S QUEST hardcover, and he's a real classy human being - we talked for a few minutes about Englehart and the Sattellite League and so on...he's a guy like us, a fan of classic comics, the sort of guy that would fit right into this board.

Zatanna and Red Tornado are definitely going to be a part of his team. And that's a really good sign.

And it's great to know that Wonder Woman is again in the JLA founders; Superman and Batman were absent from the JLA for vast stretches, but it still wouldn't be the Silver Age JLA without them.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 01:15:37 AM »

Interesting page, even if I don't plan on buying this series (if it's written by Brad "rapin'-and-killin'-Sue Dibny" Meltzer)...

Guess the Big Three all back as JLA founding members is one vaguely redeeming thing to come out of Infinite Crisis... still wondering how they supposedly stopped half the guys they faced in the 60's run without Wonder Woman or Supes in the post-Crisis pre-Infinite-Crisis setup...

JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 07:49:07 AM »

Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"
Interesting page, even if I don't plan on buying this series (if it's written by Brad "rapin'-and-killin'-Sue Dibny" Meltzer)...

Well, the way I figure it, over a career, every pro is allowed one "forgiveness" for a really bad story. (EXCEPTION: Ron Marz. May Yazgool feast on his liver for ETERNITY!)

Think of it sort of like the extra lives in Super Mario. I was willing to forgive Jim Owlsley for EMERALD DAWN, and thus I didn't miss out on his incredible BLACK PANTHER, which along with the Busiek THUNDERBOLTS, ASTRO CITY, and AVENGERS, and the Gaiman SANDMAN and Peyer HOURMAN, was a light in a very, very dark age. It's sometimes amazing how people can change and improve: Owlsley is proof of that.

Busiek's "forgiveness" was spent on VALOR (and King Kurt hasn't disappointed me since!). Englehart had his 70s POWER MAN and 80s NEW GUARDIANS, but Stainless is Stainless so he can get an extra life, sort of like in Contra. Bill Mantlo's "forgiveness" was spent on that proposal that Jimmy Shooter shot down, that Spider-Man have an illegitimate child with the Black Cat. Granted, it may not be fair to give a "forgiveness" for a story idea that was shot down, but still, that was such a bad idea from an otherwise great writer that it transcends rules.

Meltzer spent his extra life on IDENTITY CRISIS. If he lets me down here, it's GAME OVER. To be fair, though, it is possible that Meltzer was pushed into writing a story he didn't want to write by Editorial Fiat; given my personal appraisal of his character, he doesn't seem like the Rape-Sue-Dibny type.

Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"
Guess the Big Three all back as JLA founding members is one vaguely redeeming thing to come out of Infinite Crisis... still wondering how they supposedly stopped half the guys they faced in the 60's run without Wonder Woman or Supes in the post-Crisis pre-Infinite-Crisis setup...

Well, to be fair, Superman and Batman did not play that big of a role in the JLA in its early period; they were more like "guest stars" than full-fledged members.

Wonder Woman, though...she was in nearly EVERY story. I mean, that's throwing one h-e-l-l of a monkeywrench. Thanks, Giffen!

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 08:08:12 AM »

Justice League of America #0- A Review

First off…Let’s give credit where credit is due.

“Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow”

Writer: Brad Meltzer
Artists:
Eric Wight, Dick Giordano, Tony Harris, George Perez, J.H. Williams III, Luke McDonnell & Paul Neary, Gene Ha, Rags Morales, Ethan Van Sciver, Kevin Maguire, Adam Kubert, Dan Jurgans & Kevin Nowlan, Jim Lee, Howard Porter & Dexter Vines, Andy Kubert & Jesse Delperdang, Phil Jiminez & Andy Lanning, and Ed Benes & Sandra Hope
Covers:
Michael Turner & Peter Steigerwald and J. Scott Campbell, Sandra Hope & Edgar Delgado
Letterer: Rob Leigh
Colorist: Alex Sinclair
Asst. Editor: Jeanine Schaefer
Editor: Eddie Berganza

The Skinny: With this set-up #0 issue we travel back and forth through time…yesterday, today, and tomorrow…as we witness the annual meetings between Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman from just after the case that would form the League to days well beyond current continuity…weddings, deaths, and turning points aplenty! We gain insight into the perspectives of this powerhouse trio during the changing eras of the World’s Greatest SuperTeam.

Thoughts: (non-spoilers)

I can see why it’s a zero issue. It’s a good starting point for readers to get the perspectives of the Big Three during the often changing history of the League, but it’s played low key…as opposed to a big, flashy start which will be saved for issue #1. Nevertheless, it’s a great character-based story…a bit jarring, at first, as you continuously bounce back and forth between past, present, and potential future…but you’re used to it by halfway through the book. There is some continuity restoration in this issue (one thing in particular that surprised this Superman fan), as well as one big continuity gaff, but it does not hinder the enjoyment of the story. Within, we get to see a more human Batman, one who actually experiences fear (but knows how to channel it into something more positive), friendship, elation, anger, bittnerness and resentment…the latter three of which we are used to in today’s comic-reading world…but when placed in context of the events that occurred in Batman’s life, we understand it better. We learn what it takes to have Wonder Woman question her immortality? We see a Superman that is classic and regal. Most importantly, we see the strength in the bond that exists between the three and how nothing could rend it asunder permanently. I had a good feeling after reading this book. It looks like the JLA could be heading towards a bright future….one that harkens back and reminds us why the Justice League of America is the greatest of super-teams. I eagerly look forward to the next issue!  

Justice League of America #0- B+

Below is a quick blow-by-blow of what happens in this issue, which I’ll sprinkle with some select dialogue….SPOILER ALERT!

The issue flips back and forth between past, present, and potential future.

Vignette 1: Yesterday

Superman meets Batman in the cave to discuss the forming of a team of heroes. This takes place after the orginal 7 have dispatched of the meteor-aliens. Batman has his doubts, severely. At first, Superman believes that Batman is trying to protect the friendship they share by not getting involved with too many other super-personalities, but quickly realizes that Batman is actually afraid. It is the simple and unavoidable realization that there are bigger things on this planet than him. However, the Caped Crusader refuses to give into the fear and instead overcomes it and embraces the notion. Superman only has admiration for his Dark Knight friend. Just then, Wonder Woman shows up in the Batcave…

Superman: Before you say anything—

Batman: Listen, Clark…

Superman/Batman (in unison): I invited her.

Wonder Woman: So…How do we make this League last?

BMK’s Comments: Yep, the three are back as founding members!!!

Vignette 2: Yesterday

22,300 miles above Earth, Batman argues with Superman in front of a white-garbed, powerless Diana Prince over the loss of one of their own…Red Tornado. The android had sacrificed himself while during the delivery of the Nebula Rod during the case of the Seven Soldiers. Batman blames Superman for not doing enough to save him. Diana counter-argues, stating that it was better to lose a machine than one of their own. Batman exclaims, “He WAS one of our own!” Diana counters, “And there’ll be plenty of others, sad as it sounds. That’s the cost of battle, Bruce. You of all people know that one.”

BMK’s Comments: Here’s where the gaff comes in. Reddy was not a JLA member at the time, but a JSA member from Earth-2. As everyone thought he had sacrificed himself, the explosion transported him to the Earth-1 universe where he became a member of the JLA afterwards.

Vignette 3: Tomorrow

At the wedding of Hal Jordan, Bruce comments how he had thought that Oliver Queen would be the last to marry. Diana retorts how everyone had their money on Bruce and then Ollie. Bruce responds that everyone then had their money on her being the last. Fortunately, Clark won the pool. They also reminisce when the last time they celebrated without getting called away to a fight, which was…

Vignette 4: Yesterday

At the wedding of Donna Troy (as drawn by George Perez)…Bruce tells Dick Grayson how proud he is of him and what he has built with the Titans. Bruce also shares his thoughts with Diana and that he feels that his ward is now surpassing him. Diana responds, “Not yet he isn’t.” Also she reveals that Superman, in the form of his wedding gift is patrolling the skies up to a 20-mile radius to keep potential harm away from the festivities.

Vignette 5: Tomorrow (one-page)

Metropolis. In an office. Wonder Woman has her lasso around Lex Luthor’s neck trying to pull him away as he has Superman’s throat in the grip of his Kryptonite Ring-laden hand and punches Batman full-on in the face, knocking out a tooth.

Lex Luthor: He. Was. My. SON!

Vignette 6: Yesterday

Challengers’ Mountain. A copy of the Daily Planet is laid out. The headline reads: Satellite- No. Detroit- Yes! Is Vibe a local? Locals say “YES!”
Batman wants to know whose idea of the Detroit League it was. Superman tells him that it was Aquaman’s and J’onn’s. Batman has serious reservations since, out of 4 of the new members, only one has training. Both Wonder Woman and Superman feel that they should step back and trust their old allies’ leadership. Batman feels that he should go to them and train them.

Batman: What we built—it’s not just a club!

Vignette 7: Tomorrow

Smallville. Bruce and Diana console Martha after the funeral of Jonathan Kent, while Clark is busy filling in the old tunnel that led up to his room.

Bruce: Clark, are you--?

Clark: It was easier the other way, y’know? When I barely knew them and they died on an exploding planet…But this…Bruce, your parents…I never…How’ve you lived like this for so long?

Bruce: I hate to say it, Clark…but you get used to it.

BMK’s Comments:  Old Tunnel? For a Superboy, perhaps?

Vignette 8: Yesterday.

Gotham City. The Cave. Wonder Woman and Batman spar as Superman watches on. The Caped Crusader tells them about his new partner, Jason. They don’t remember when they’ve seen the Dark Knight this excited or happy.

Batman: Beyond excited. I’m alive again, Clark. And for the first time in a long time…I can’t miss.

BMK’s Comment’s: Rags Morales draws this page and channels his inner Jim Aparo.

Vignette 9: Tomorrow.

Paradise Island. Superman and Batman let Diana know that they support her on the eve of her wedding but to also make sure she realizes what she’ll be giving up, namely her immortality.

Vignette 10: Yesterday.

J.L.I. Embassy. Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman discuss the “One-Punch” incident.
BMK’s Comment’s: If you were a fan of those early J.L.I. days, you have to read this page…it’s priceless!

Vignette 11: Tomorrow.

The new satellite.  All that we see are panels of Superman walking through a darkened and empty satellite.

Superman Narration Captions: I knew Bruce wouldn’t come. Diana, maybe…But then I remember, she’s more stubborn than he is. Still, even after everything…even after the funeral, we said once a year.

Superman realizes no one has shown.

Superman: darn you, Bruce…

Vignette 12: Yesterday.

Antartica. The Fortress. Wonder Woman, despite learning the info from many other heroes confronts Batman to gain confirmation that Superman had indeed died at the hands of Doomsday.

Vignette 13: Tomorrow.

The Hall. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman learns from Flash of the existence of a second Earth.

Superman: How’s it even possible?

Batman: It’s vibrating at a different speed.

Superman: No, Bruce...I mean, how can it even be?

Batman: Clark, we’ve seen alternate universes, pocket dimensions, and a full-on multiverse. Why should we suddenly be surprised to find that there’s a second Earth out there?

BMK’s Comments: Confusing, since it says it takes place “Tomorrow”, meaning in the future…but as the three talk we see a picture of the old JLA & old JSA together.

Vignette 14: Yesterday.

The Watchtower. Superman & Wonder Woman confront Batman over the secret files he kept on all of them, containing ways to stop them permanently. Wonder Woman confronts Batman, knowing full well how distant he’s become, how dark and distrusting ever since the death of Jason Todd.

BMK’s Comments: A powerful scene.

Vignette 15: Tomorrow.

Crime Alley. Wonder Woman and Superman discuss Bruce’s apparent demise. Sounds eerily similar to how it went down in the original Dark Knight Returns.

The next 2 pages flip back and forth from panel to panel…from the moment of confrontation in Infinite Crisis #1 to the past when they agree to meet once a year to the end of Infinite Crisis #7, when they agree to meet again in one year’s time to…

Today. OYL.

Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman meet once more in the cave. At first a discussion about what was said between them in IC #1 was about to erupt, but Superman gently stops them.

Superman: No…It’s history. Just like everything else. Time to move on.

The others agree as well.

Wonder Woman: So, we’re on again? Once every year?

Batman: That’s fine, Diana. But I think we can do better than that. And maybe invite a few friends along in the process.

WW: Did you just say FRIENDS?

Batman: I meant TEAMMATES.

Superman: We know what you meant, Bruce.

WW: I know that look, what’re you planning, Bruce?

Batman: Same thing we did when we let Ollie in. We vote. Now who do you want in the new League?

We look down, close-up, at some photos sprawled across a table featuring different heroes:

Supergirl, Captain Marvel, Green Arrow, Hawkman, Vixen, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Red Tornado, Flash, Black Canary, Power Girl, Zatanna, Cyborg, and Huntress are shown. Other photos will be seen in issue #1.

Fin.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 09:45:57 AM »

http://community.livejournal.com/scans_daily/2155984.html has some scans.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 08:47:34 PM »

Superman especially was a more of a guest star in early JLA adventures...

As to the new issue, I'm a little bummed that Batman is "scared" about these adventures, maybe its more real that he is, but the dude's fearlessness in jumping in during the old days always impressed me...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L