superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:47:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World's Finest! Retro style  (Read 8551 times)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 09:19:55 PM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
As to the new issue, I'm a little bummed that Batman is "scared" about these adventures, maybe its more real that he is, but the dude's fearlessness in jumping in during the old days always impressed me...

At least they have a new take on the character that's different from the perpetually scowling grim-n-gritty Dark Knight that he's been since Miller.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 09:43:04 PM »

Sure, I agree...

The grim thug can definitely be gone in my book, I hope he is just as fearless in stepping in with the rest of the heroes as in days of yore, he usually was just as effective.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 10:32:08 PM »

It looks like a "Batman Begins" thing.  If you read the two pages on the LJ scan page, you see that Bats is only scared before the league is formed, then, as Superman states, he "embraces his fear," decides on the league, and proceeds to become all the Batmen that we've ever known through the ages.

Looks really good, and I love the part about Clark having a secret tunnel as a boy back in Smallville.  It's also way past time that at least one of his parents died.  Although the choice of it being Jonathan Kent is obviously influenced by the movies, it could also also restore something like this great deathbed scene to continuity:

http://superman.nu/origin/25.php
http://superman.nu/origin/26.php

If this issue #0 is a teaser for the forthcoming year, it's got me pretty excited!

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 04:00:44 PM »

BMK’s Comments: Confusing, since it says it takes place “Tomorrow”, meaning in the future…but as the three talk we see a picture of the old JLA & old JSA together.

This has me very interested, too.  A second earth with both the JLA and the JSA but it does indeed look as if the original JSA is still around then.

I have mixed feelings about Jonathan Kent's death, but from the scene we once again seem to see that Superboy is back into continuity.  Or perhaps they will call him Young Superman due to the lawsuit, as they are in the Legion of Super-Heroes cartoon?

ShinDangaioh
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 09:02:22 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"
Interesting page, even if I don't plan on buying this series (if it's written by Brad "rapin'-and-killin'-Sue Dibny" Meltzer)...

Meltzer spent his extra life on IDENTITY CRISIS. If he lets me down here, it's GAME OVER. To be fair, though, it is possible that Meltzer was pushed into writing a story he didn't want to write by Editorial Fiat; given my personal appraisal of his character, he doesn't seem like the Rape-Sue-Dibny type.

Identity Crisis was supposed to star Elongated Man and the Trinity should not have been involved.  But Didio is on the soapbox that all events must star the Trinity and probably Hal Jordan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L