superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:59:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new Action Comics... is going to...  (Read 12015 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 06:50:51 AM »

The thing that is most interesting I think, is that Geoff Johns is going to bring in General Zod. The thing is, every single writing team for the past six years has had some Zodlike idea at some point, and the whole business with him is a horrible mess.

Enter Johns.

Remember, this was the guy that played "continuity janitor" with Hawkman, and did in no uncertain way, what Grant Morrison attempted and failed to do - bring a viable Hawkman back in the DCU that respected every version of Hawkman that came before.

There's always been a lot of give and take between the comics and other media; for instance, Kryptonite and flight, concepts integral to Superman, came originally from media, as did Jimmy Olsen. So, why not let somebody as famous as General Zod in, a character that never really had a strong comic presence?

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 07:11:40 AM »

I don't think it will be a bad comic book, even if the one I'm really waiting for is SUPERMAN (not yet arrived here).

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 04:21:17 PM »

I don't have anything against film industry folks in the comic book biz, though I think some do better than others.  JMS is great -- as long as you don't have him take on an established character in a shared universe.  

But, AFAICT, Donner's not really a writer.  What he's doing sounds more like what a seasoned comic book editor might do.  That's fine and dandy, but why not call him an editor (or kick Didio out and call him the boss of DC Smiley )?  Really, I'd like to get stories from more and different voices.  My hunch is whatever comes out will largely feel like Geoff Johns.  I like a lot of Geoff Johns work, but he's spread too thin.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 04:31:56 PM »

It scares me that it's him who will be revamping Brainaic and Zod, after seeing how he threated Alex, Superboy-Prime, and Earth-2 Superman, I have no hope whatsoever it's going to be any good.

Adam is not a bad artist, clearly he has talent, but he seems all wrong for Superman, he would be better serve drawing Wolverine, The Hulk or Lobo.

Put those two together and "all hope abandon, ye who enter here" should be written on each cover.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 06:34:51 PM »

Well at least before i gave my judgement i'm going to wait after i have read some episodes of the Action Comics by Donner e Johns,since the last one  made a real good job on Hawkman and with Busiek over Up,up and away! i hope it will do the same with his new partner.

S!  S!  S!

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 07:57:55 PM »

There is no way I would ever pick up that book, unless a whole lot of people at this site give it rave reviews and then I might change my mind and give it a shot.

Trust me I much rather have three great Superman books rather than just two, but I have yet to see anything that would make me think it will happen.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
BMK!
Superman Family

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 05:51:25 AM »

Well, here is the solicitation for Johns/Donner's first issue together...recently added to the DC website after the official announcement.

ACTION COMICS #844

Written by Geoff Johns and Richard Donner; Art and cover by Adam Kubert; Variant cover by TK

Geoff Johns (INFINITE CRISIS, FLASH) joins forces with Richard Donner (director of Superman: The Movie and Superman II) and artist extraordinaire Adam Kubert (X-Men, Ultimate X-Men) for "Last Son," the tale of a small child from the planet Krypton. Sent by his parents to Earth with powers beyond imagination, the child's future potential is limitless. Especially when Superman finds him! Don't miss this amazing comics event!

Superman  |  32pg.  |  Color  |  $2.99 US

On Sale October 25, 2006

And here's the *stunning* cover...

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/cm_popup.php?i=6199
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 07:40:17 AM »

I hoped to see more action* in the cover.

* Except for the title logo, I mean!

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L