superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:49:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman trashes Wayne Boring's studio!  (Read 8914 times)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 01:36:09 PM »

Quote from: "TELLE"
Aren't there Superman stories (I know there is a green arrow story) involving cartoonists/comics strips?

IIRC there's one from the Golden Age that involves a newspaper comics page...

There's also one from the Silver Age (reprinted in "Showcase Presents Superman" volume 2) where Lois becomes a comic strip cartoonist and creates her own superhero, which mysteriously comes to life...

alschroeder
Superman Emergency Squad

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 07:30:07 PM »

Y'know what's REALLY funny about this?

Wellll...

It's not Wayne Boring.

I know it SAYS Mr. Boring, but that's Win Mortimer drawing, which makes it all the funnier. I only had to LOOK at it once to realize it was Win Mortimer. Both Boring and Mortimer have their own style, and they are very distinct, at least to me.  

Besides, and quoting from www.wayneboring.com, "Wayne left the daily comic strip in 1948 and returned to drawing comic book stories, most of which were inked by Stan Kaye.  (The comic strip was taken over by Win Mortimer.)"

And this is a 1951 strip, right?

I don't know if Boring was a bigger "name" then and they continued to credit him even with Mortimer ghosting, but there is no doubt about it---that's Mortimer drawing it.

---Al

Al Schroeder III, former letterhack (met his wife through Julie Schwartz' lettercolumns) of MINDMISTRESS http://mindmistress.comicgenesis.com---think the superhero genre is mined out? Think there are no new superhero ideas?

Think again.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 08:34:42 PM »

Well that's interesting...its certainly the case that previous artists/writers or originators of strips sometimes keep the credit line after they've moved on, do less of the work, or die, I'm still interested in how much is up in the air about these newspaper strips...is it possible that Boring was doing the writing and left story lines after he moved on from the strips and got continued billing?
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 08:51:38 PM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
is it possible that Boring was doing the writing and left story lines after he moved on from the strips and got continued billing?

As far as I know, that sort of thing happens quite a lot, or at least it used to - I seem to remember that something like it happened on the Kurtzman/Elder Flash Gordon strips, amongst others. It's still sort of weird that Win Mortimer would illustrate this, a bit sick actually. Could it have been a result of some sort of editorial policy or something? Did DC want to identify Boring as the only guy who drew Superman, maybe?

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
binarysunrise
Superman Family

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 10:50:12 PM »

Quote from: "alschroeder"

Besides, and quoting from www.wayneboring.com, "Wayne left the daily comic strip in 1948 and returned to drawing comic book stories, most of which were inked by Stan Kaye.  (The comic strip was taken over by Win Mortimer.)"

Actually, that quote is from www.supermanartists.comics.org (wayne boring's site masks the link addresses...it's an external link).

From what I've found though, I have Boring leaving in mid 1949.

However, I will admit that I didn't make the connection, and indeed it is more funny thinking it is Win having Superman trash Wayne Boring's studio.  As to why it was Boring? Well, his name was still on the strip, either because it was more recognizable (having drawn the daily for so many years), or to simplify things (as he was still doing the Sundays)....

The Speeding Bullet
   http://www.thespeedingbullet.com
--an archive of Superman newspaper strips--
Continental Op
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 12:58:18 AM »

I don't know what either Boring or Mortimer looked like then, so which one was being DRAWN?
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 01:01:04 PM »

...is it possible that Boring was doing the writing and left story lines after he moved on from the strips and got continued billing?

Boring never did any writing on the Superman strip, which was mainly in the hands of Alvin Schwartz, and (apparently) Jack Schiff and Bill Finger.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 02:54:56 PM »

Quote from: "Lee Semmens"
Boring never did any writing on the Superman strip, which was mainly in the hands of Alvin Schwartz, and (apparently) Jack Schiff and Bill Finger.

Thanks of the info, there. Cool
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L