superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:27:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman Creator references in "MR. T?"  (Read 4605 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« on: July 24, 2006, 11:17:10 AM »

It's no surprise that there should be Superman references in MR. T - for one thing, the Ruby Spears MR. T cartoon was created by comics alum Steve Gerber, whose credits are legion. Also, the concept designs for the characters were done by Jack Kirby (though how Jack could possibly improve on Mr. T's famous look is beyond me).

The primary references came about in one episode written by Martin Pasko. Now there's a guy that worked on Superman! I should write an article about Martin Pasko's Superman stories sometime, that guy was dynamite, and only suffered because he was followed up by the one-of-a-kind Len Wein. I realized the kind of guy Pasko was, during the "Twelve Labors of Wonder Woman" when he had Felix Faust make the Statue of Liberty come to life and attack Wonder Woman!

Anyway, Martin Pasko had a guest-star (and token Latino member of the T-Team) that was named "Garcia Lopez."

Later on, two of the research scientists are identified as "Mr. Kirby" and "Mr. Adams."

Incidentally, I hear Martin Pasko just did the SUPERMAN RETURNS novelization. I'll have to check it out!

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 09:26:45 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Incidentally, I hear Martin Pasko just did the SUPERMAN RETURNS novelization. I'll have to check it out!

Marv Wolfman did the novelization.  I think Marty Pasko did the comic book adaptation.  From what I hear, they're both pretty good.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 12:28:55 PM »

The only Mr. T I ever heard of was in The A-Team.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:17:16 PM »

That's the one --fool!
 Cheesy

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 02:03:18 PM »

I pity the fool --for his redundancy!

Whats next - 'Bat Masterson's derringer  influenced by the batarang' thread? :roll:
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 10:11:12 AM »

For those that don't know, Mr. T had a successful cartoon in the 1980s created by Steve Gerber, with character designs by Jack Kirby. Martin Pasko and Len Wein were both regular contributors.

The premise of the show was that Mr. T was a bus driver to a multi-ethnic gymnastics team of attractive, handsome kids with their own spunky personalities that drive them to solve crazy mysteries when driving aroun the world in their bus going to gymnastics meets, encountering a great many fools for Mr. T to pity.

My favorite character was Dozer Most dogs resemble their owners in some weird way, but Dozer was a bulldog that looked EXACTLY like Mr. T: mohawk. Indian earrings and all.

It's no suprise the MR. T show was done by Ruby-Spears, the people that did the monumentally insane CHUCK NORRIS: KARATE KOMMANDOS, which has ol' Chuck himself duke it out with a secret school of Ninjas on Mt. Fuji, or overcoming a snake pit by grabbing a venomous snake and using the snake itself to whip around a grille, using the snake itself as a rope to climb out. Or the time Chuck Norris escaped from an exploding airplane by jumping. Onto a. Guy. With. A. Parachute! Or that time Chuck sneaks into an underwater city by putting a vest on a dolphin and riding it in, Elian Gonzalez-style.

I swear to God, people, I'm not making any of this up.

MR. T ranks in the same category of enjoyable but not entirely original cartoon like SABER RIDERS, which despite the ten-gallon hatted giant cowboy robot, cannot hide the fact it was based on the blueprint of VOLTRON.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 01:52:00 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
It's no suprise the MR. T show was done by Ruby-Spears, the people that did the monumentally insane CHUCK NORRIS: KARATE KOMMANDOS

That cartoon was all based on real life facts Smiley

http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L