superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:29:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman in the Silver Age  (Read 107657 times)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2006, 11:16:18 PM »

Well, I need the help when it comes to Bronze Age stories, and you guys wrote synposes of a lot...believe it or not, the last comic I ever bought was "The Starry-Eyed Siren of Space"...LOL... Cool

I don't hang on too many comics message boards, but I did notice India Ink registered at the forum at "Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics" around last October, but since that forum never built much traffic, Mike closed it a couple of months ago...
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2006, 04:51:54 AM »

I had a quick look back at my insensitive review of "Siren" on page 8 of DCMB 70s... I seem to have been quite concerned I would offend India Ink!

I avidly read anything by India Ink (and I go back and re-read things he wrote). His posts had soul.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2006, 05:22:42 AM »

You know, its a very personal thing when you grow up with these comics...a LOT different than analyzing them as an adult many years later.

For me, I agree that most of the story was a vague rip-off of "The Gamesters of Triskelion"...

But what affected me the most as a Silver Age kid was Superman flying to a "break out at Metropolis prison" in the very end, flying through the Earth's polluted skies...for me, that was real world reality a little like the Denny O'Neil Green Lantern/Green Arrow, a new era of "realism" I didn't like my childhood heroes to have to deal with (not that it wasn't real)...but that was just me and why I didn't read the Bronze Age...
Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2006, 01:15:59 PM »

Aldous, India Ink still posts on the DC message boards, if you know where that is.

I don't know of anywhere else he hangs out these days, though.
Osgood Peabody
Superman Family

« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2006, 02:02:18 PM »

Hey Aldous - great to hear from you again!

I'm glad you got a chance to read the Kull-Ex tale, and I think you're correct that it's the first time Wayne Boring drew Supergirl.  I always thought he drew gorgeous females as well - his Lois was always a delight.

And yes, as far as I know, the DC MB are the only place where India still posts.  In fact, he and I have been posting on this thread dealing with the "New Look" Batman:

http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?threadID=2000070696&tstart=0
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2006, 08:39:19 PM »

**SPOILERS** Showcase Vol. 2

Many of the stories in Showcase 2 I'm reading for the first time. The "Mighty Maid" adventure has to be one of the most screwy stories in the book... If you ask me, Supergirl is a little too proficient at super-flirting, and at times has some curious private thoughts about Superman, eg. "His eyes are beautiful." And all that super-smooching... Well, as a plan, it ranks right up there with Superman's most nutty -- and what's with the Man of Steel calling Supergirl "Linda" when they're alone together??

In the Bizarro story, Superman thinks, "It's against my code to defy authority," as he submits to ridiculous laws and gets thrown in the slammer. My my, how he changed over twenty years, now capitulating before anyone with a badge and a truncheon.

Speaking of Superman's evolution, I note a large number of the stories in this volume are written by none other than Jerry Siegel, yet he doesn't appear in the selection of writers and artists mentioned on the back of the book. Maybe he should be at the head of the list.

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
You know, its a very personal thing when you grow up with these comics...a LOT different than analyzing them as an adult many years later.

I agree.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2006, 02:07:28 AM »

Showcase Vol. 2 is nearly twice as expensive as Vol. 1.
<mild grumble>
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2006, 02:22:59 AM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
Showcase Vol. 2 is nearly twice as expensive as Vol. 1.
<mild grumble>

Not if you buy it through http://www.amazon.com

They have it for $11.04  Brand new. If you buy more than $25 you will get free shipping.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L