superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:42:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman in the Silver Age  (Read 106327 times)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2006, 06:25:02 PM »

Quote from: "Continental Op"
That super-sneeze story made a big impression on Denny O'Neil. I have read several interviews with him and, whenever he was asked about his days writing Superman, he always seemed to mention that story as the reason he reduced Superman's powers in the Sandman saga. As if he couldn't just consider that scene an anomaly, and Superman was destroying galaxies with his magic super-sneeze every month.

Sounds like the complaints about Lois being "a snoopy marriage-obsessed woman" until Byrne came along, despite this characterization of Lois not having been valid since the late 60's/early 70's...

Lee Semmens
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2006, 02:17:44 PM »

About to sneeze, he flies up and away from Earth as fast as he can, then, "far, far out into the cosmos," in a distant solar system, Superman sneezes, and his sneeze destroys the entire solar system -- to the extent that each and every planet is blown to bits!

Having just re-read that story a couple of days ago, I thought that scene was just about the funniest in Showcase Presents: Superman Volume 2.

I guess you could explain the extra destructiveness of Superman's sneeze as being accentuated by the magical cause.

I would be interested to see a survey of Superman's more impressive, if not downright impossible feats, like the time he was towing a solar system or planet on a chain.

I still think the most ridiculously impossible feat Superman performed was in a Golden Age story (in one of the archives - which one I can't remember), where he carried out a number of duties all over the world, all in the space of less than a second, if I recall correctly.
Osgood Peabody
Superman Family

« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2007, 09:51:42 PM »

By way of bumping this venerable thread, here's a few vintage house ads I've recently come across which I think you'll enjoy:

Looking back on this thread, I see a lot of references to the first 2 Superman showcases.  A 3rd Superman showcase is now out there - they've reached what I'd call "high Silver Age" - the classic Swan/Klein team now at the reins.  The next couple of volumes will be as good as it gets!

Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2007, 10:45:36 PM »

Dig those "Schnapp-Weisinger" ads. Aren't they great!

They certainly have the desired effect. I think I'll rush out and buy those mags with my pocket money. That "Composite Superman" sure looks super-keen (and a little scary).... If you could be any super-type, you'd be him, of course.

And yes, Osgood, time to put the 3rd Showcase on the shopping list.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 01:49:13 AM by Aldous » Logged
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2007, 01:26:14 AM »

Worked well enough, my brother bought "The Last Days of Superman", "Composite Superman" and "Weakest Man in the World" and handed them on down to me.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #149 on: May 23, 2007, 03:03:51 AM »

I bought them all when they hit the stands-- making me a real Silver Ager! Wink
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #150 on: May 23, 2007, 03:24:15 AM »

You have a little on me, I personally bought all my comics from 1966-1972 (not a one since then)...but, along with two of my older brothers' 1961-65 collection, I read then all 'till the covers fell off... Grin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #151 on: May 23, 2007, 08:40:07 AM »

Wow! I really want to read "Lois Lane's Outlaw Son" now.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L