superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:36:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dr. Strange: The Oath (Preview)  (Read 8810 times)
BMK!
Superman Family

« on: July 27, 2006, 02:02:42 AM »

Writer Brian Vaughan and artist Marcos Martin team-up to bring us the next exciting chapter in the life of the Sorcerer Supreme!

Here's the teaser advertisement...

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=76034

Here's the solicitation for issue #1...

Dr. Strange: The Oath #1
32 full color pages
Written by: Brian K. Vaughan
Art by: Marcos Martin
Release Date: October, 2006
Price: $2.99

Doctor Stephen Strange embarks on the most important paranormal investigation of his career, as he sets out to solve an attempted murder... his own!
And with his most trusted friend also at death's door, Strange turns to an unexpected corner of the Marvel Universe to recruit a new ally.

Eisner Award-winning writer Brian K. Vaughan (Runaways, Y: The Last Man) and red-hot artist Marcos Martin (Captain America, Batgirl: Year One) join forces for an adventure that will take the Sorcerer Supreme from the underworld of New York City to the deadliest dimensions on the outskirts of reality.

This limited series will firmly establish Doctor Strange in the current Marvel Universe as well as setting him up to join a surprising new team!

Here are the preview pages...

http://comics.ign.com/articles/719/719385p1.html

Here are some words quoted from Mr. Vaughan by Newsarama...

Strange can call upon Hoggoth and Watoom all he wants, but his first allegiance is still to Hippocrates, and an oath he first swore as a young med student: “Do no harm.” In our upcoming miniseries, artist Marcos Martin and I are going to be introducing a new threat to Stephen's life that will really challenge that belief.

I love Ditko's design and the trippy visuals that go with it, but over the years, I think we've focused too much on the “Strange,” and not enough on the “Doctor.” It's such a classic Stan Lee touch to make the Sorcerer Supreme a man with a background in science and logic. My favorite panel from Doc’s origin involves the arrogant Stephen looking down at his trembling hands right after he crashes his sports car, knowing that he'll never again be able to perform surgery. How cool that this guy can cast any spell imaginable, but he's reminded of his own flaws every time he picks up a drink, and hears the ice cubes rattling inside the glass.

We all worked hard to make this miniseries completely accessible to anyone, especially readers who who've never really liked the character. Some of the best Strange stories have been his solo investigations into his own weird corner of the Marvel Universe, while some of his worst have involved him showing up like a mystical deus ex machina to save the Fantastic Four or whatever. That said, we are going to be giving Strange a new partner from elsewhere in the Marvel Universe, an existing character who no one will expect, but who complements the good doctor perfectly.

I'm not sure about the team that Dr. Strange will join, but I heard *rumored* that the new ally/partner of Strange's will be.....

*SPOILERS*

Night Nurse.
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 07:43:37 AM »

Dr. Strange is one of my favorite Marvel characters but, despite this, I'll not buy the miniseries.
In these weeks I'm re-reading a lot of old Marvel stories (backissues, tpbs, Essentials...), and in this moment I don't need for new ones.
Talking about the big guns, I'm following (as usual) Spider-Man, Captain America, Fantastic Four and New Avengers and these series aren't able to hook me like in the past. So, I don't want to add other comics to my list...

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 11:33:15 AM »

I love Ditko's design and the trippy visuals that go with it, but over the years, I think we've focused too much on the “Strange,” and not enough on the “Doctor.”

Oh yeah, that's just what I always thought after reading those classic Stan and Steve stories,,,"Nice art, but I wish there was more medical stuff..."  :roll:

Interesting thought about Strange's nerve-damaged hands, though.  He goes to the Ancient One seeking a way to fix them and get back to his lucrative and famous career in surgery, but by story's end he finds a bigger cause.  It's worth noting that he never looks back, even though one would assume that with all the amazing spells he learns, at least one of them probably could have fixed those hands.

Still, I can't say I remember Strange ever having trouble holding a glass over the years, or indeed ANY reminders, visual or text, of a lingering infirmity.

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 02:34:11 PM »

Here is a little fun fact that no one cares about, as some of you may remember, I also had one of those classic horror stories in which my mom threw away all my comics whiel I was away after I got "too old for comics" (It was only Jr. High School!!!) anyway, amazingly on of the very few comics that surived was, you guess it, a Dr. Strange comic.

Now, here's the irony, most of those comics were Avengers and Superman comics, but somehow, this one made it:

http://www.comics.org/details.lasso?id=34126

I suppose some things in life we were never meant to understand.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 09:26:59 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Marvel recently finished publishing a Doctor Strange mini-series that gave him an all-new origin and moved it up into the present day.  Is this still in continuity?  Sounds like they might be ignoring it already.

The preview looks really good though.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 04:34:27 AM »

Quote from: "Great Rao"
I'm pretty sure that Marvel recently finished publishing a Doctor Strange mini-series that gave him an all-new origin and moved it up into the present day.  Is this still in continuity?  Sounds like they might be ignoring it already.

The mini, STRANGE, was done by J. Michael Straczynski, and featured Doctor Strange as Neo in a Matrix-clone series too hip for its own good. If Vaughn is doing classic Doctor Strange again, it's a sure bet it's joined the limbo of "who cares?" reboots like the John Byrne "new Incredible Hulk origin," or SPIDER MAN: CHAPTER ONE.

If it never happened, it couldn't have never happened soon enough. (whoa, my brain hurts now). I have no idea how Straczynski could do all the nonsense he's pulling at the House of Ideas, and yet simultaneously be the head writer and creative visionary behind a show as incredible as JAYCE AND THE WHEELED WARRIORS, which some (ME) consider to be the best action cartoon since JONNY QUEST. It's partially out on DVD now, so do yourself a favor and check it out, seeing Straczynski at the height of his creative powers.

I guess Peter David is right: most writers only really do have fifteen good years in them.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 03:21:33 AM »

JMS stinks unless he brings his own characters to the table.  Giving him Dr. Strange, the FF, Spider-Man, etc. has been disasterous.

Brian Vaughan has done some pretty awesome stuff.  (I'm totally sucked into Ex Machina.)  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he can make DOCTOR Strange a great read.
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 08:00:33 AM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
JMS stinks unless he brings his own characters to the table.  Giving him Dr. Strange, the FF, Spider-Man, etc. has been disasterous.

Sigh, you're right. In Italy are now appearing his early issues of FF and it's the usual Straczynski stuff: "new exciting" particulars about the characters' origins, no story, decompression...
He ruined my favorite Marvel title, now he is doing the same with the second in my list.
Choke.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L