superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:22:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dr. Strange: The Oath (Preview)  (Read 8560 times)
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 06:05:29 PM »

In the Avengers storyline where Strange and the Black Knight teamed up with the Avengers, I believe Steven Strange had to operate on the Black Knight to save his life.  So, apparently, the damage done to his hands no longer is there.

nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 12:05:49 AM »

I like to think it'd be a simple matter now for Strange to cast a spell that steadied his hands, or increased their dexterity, or whatever, as needed for emergency surgeries in the field.  But he's too far along now as a human being to give up his mission as sorceror supreme in favor of fortune and glory as a world-class surgeon.  In fact, that would make for a nice scene in a story where he recaps his origin to someone:

Listener: So did you ever find that cure for your hands?
Strange: Hmm...? Oh yeah, sure.  But anyway, about Dormammu...

This looks like a job for...
Composite Superman
Supermen of America

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 02:59:01 AM »

I haven't read Doctor Strange in many years, but I do recall the end of his first run (circa 1970), when Marvel briefly turned him into a muscular, blue-skinned, tights-wearing superhero. I'm sure long-time fans were annoyed by the changes, but I thought those stores were pretty good, if too late to save the series. Gene Colan and Tom Palmer were a excellent team for the character.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 03:00:41 AM by Composite Superman » Logged
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 03:19:37 AM »

I've never minded that version of Dr. Strange.  It was an attempt by Roy Thomas and Gene Colon to make Strange appeal to a more mainstream audience while at the same time keeping the basics of the character the same.  Other than the costume change and the fact that he suddenly had a secret identity of Stephen Saunders, the character remained consistent with his past.

Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »

It was an attempt by Roy Thomas and Gene Colon to make Strange appeal to a more mainstream audience

See, this is the trouble. You get just another cookie-cutter character. Tights, muscles, secret identity, blah. Dr Strange is not that character.

This looks like an old thread, but I'm glad it got a shot in the arm because I really like Dr Strange. He has one of the best origin stories in comics, like a few of the better Marvel characters. As with the earliest run of Spider-Man adventures, that early 1960s run of Dr Strange in "Strange Tales" is amazing, some of the best comics I've read.

How cool that this guy can cast any spell imaginable, but he's reminded of his own flaws every time he picks up a drink, and hears the ice cubes rattling inside the glass.

I never took it that the nerve damage to his hands was so pronounced that he would get reminders in everyday life. His hands "seem to be all right" (quote from the origin story). I think it was a bit more subtle. But his days of performing extremely delicate fine-motor movements were over, and it was his choice to leave things as they were.
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 03:28:46 PM »

Doctor Strange hand's were healed by magic,but every often he must "renew" the spell,this was said in the past mini-series"The Flight of Bones".

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 02:29:57 AM »

See, this is the trouble. You get just another cookie-cutter character. Tights, muscles, secret identity, blah. Dr Strange is not that character.

The changes back then (was it 69?) were relatively minor.  A new costume and people believed that Dr. Stephen Saunders was the former surgeon.  The changes instituted towards the end of his book;s regular run  years later were more pronounced, including radical changes in his magical abilities.

Dr. Strange has always been a difficult character to write which is why I think Marvel has held off on giving him a regular series in recent years and prefers this mini-series.

Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 05:08:36 PM »

Doctor Strange joins the Avengers!

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=97297

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L