superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GETTING AFFAIRS IN ORDER!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:01:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guilty pressures  (Read 11670 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: July 27, 2006, 06:22:02 PM »

So what are some of the comics that prehaps people here might be shocked that you love?

The kind that would make Superman strike a pose like this:

So show your shame with pride folks
 :twisted:  :oops:  :twisted:

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 07:36:20 PM »

uh..any Star Spangles War Comic that has dinosaurs no matter how stupid-- especially beloved are those involving giant white gorillas. :roll:
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 07:09:55 AM »

Since everyone here already knows I love any and all Silver Age Superman family comics, I will have to dredge up other guilty pleasures.

In general I love all comics, their history and art.  I don't feel guilty about reading most comics (I can always claim I'm interested from an academic point of view, even though I'm not in academia).  I'm not a big fan of North American superhero comics made after 1986 or so, but that's about it (I have read the occasional back issue of Wizard in a thrift store while looking over my shoulder).

Still, I'm somewhat ashamed that I enjoy returning to 70s stuff like Marvel 2-in-1 starring the Thing in Project Pegasus (which I think is now available as a trade).

I love Archie comics and collect old digests (even recent ones have old strips).  Silver Age Archie and Josie comics are great and have a lot in common with Superman.

Lately I have been feeling nostalgic for those old Beetle Bailey collections which I first discovered in my grandmother's house.  BB is a crappy strip.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 06:10:17 PM »

Anyone familiar with my image here as a conservative, stodgy champion of Silver Age values might be surprised to learn that I was a huge fan of Howard Chaykin's sex-crazed, left-leaning "American Flagg!"...at least for the first dozen and a half issues or so.

As someone who hates the very idea of comics sold to promote toy lines, I have to admit a great fondness for Bill Mantlo and Michael Golden's old "Micronauts" series.

And as a lover of classic pulps, I nonetheless broke ranks in enjoying Andy Helfer and Kyle Baker's heretical treatment of "The Shadow," a book the character's angry copyright owners finally forced DC to cancel or risk losing the license.  But boy, what hilarious, disgusting fun it gave us!

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 08:46:22 PM »

Since I started it, most people here know I have a thing for old classic EC comics. Weird Fantasy may have been the greatest Sci-Fi comic book of all time!

Maybe not all that shameful :wink:  I know there have other fans here. You have to be crazy not to like those old books!

Ok, ok, this is about real trash that most people hate. While most would agree that the best Marvel comics came during the Sliver Age, I must say that as a kid I got a real kick out of those outrageous 70's marvel tales. It was a weird time for Marvel as they were combing Horror comics with Super heroes and thus creating a new genre that was way ahead of it time, but unlike current dark age comics which take themselves far too serious and thus making them boring and insulting. Those old marvel comics were pure cheese and and just plain dumb, so dumb in fact that they were brilliant. All of my old comics are long gone however.

With that in mind, I nearly flipped when I saw this:

Essential Horror TPB
List Price:  $16.99
Price:    $11.04

By Gary Friedrich, Steve Gerber, Mike Friedrich, Chris Claremont, John Warner, Bill Mantlo, Gerry Conway, Roy Thomas, Tony Isabella, Tom Sutton, Herb Trimpe, Jim Mooney, Gene Colan, Sal Buscema, Bob McLeod, Jim Starlin, Sonny Trinidad, Craig Russell, Ed Hannigan, Russ Heath

What's it like to be the son and the daughter of the Father of Lies? Find out as Daimon Hellstrom and his sister, Satana, face the worst of two worlds! Can they save their souls along with the world? Featuring Exorcists, Cyclists, Nihilists and Ice Demons! Secrets of Ancient Atlantis revealed! Guest-starring Spider-Man, the Thing and the Human Torch! Collects Ghost Rider #1-2; Marvel Spotlight #12-24; SoS #1-8; MTIO #14; MTU #32,80-81; Vampire Tales #2-3; HoH #2,4-5 and Marvel Premiere #27

Paperback: 608 pages
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Release Date: November 1, 2006

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 08:54:23 PM »

EC Fans brace yourselves!!!!

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/8975.html

I guess if guys like Steven Spielberg and George Lucas are writing intros to the new hard covers, it can't be called guilty, I guess they are finally legit now Wink

- Elliot S! Maggin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 09:53:25 PM »

Quote from: "nightwing"
Anyone familiar with my image here as a conservative, stodgy champion of Silver Age values might be surprised to learn that I was a huge fan of Howard Chaykin's sex-crazed, left-leaning "American Flagg!"...at least for the first dozen and a half issues or so.

Hey, we really can meet halfway! I really liked the way American Flagg tickled my leftwing sensibilities, but then the conservative in me said "Do all these ladies really have to wear frilly underwear all the time?"

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 11:56:32 PM »

I am also gulity of liking that series (and ashamed that I bite my tongue when I hear it bad mouthed).  Chaykin wrote a great Alex Toth obit for the Comics Journal this month.

The thing about American Flagg that is shameful is not the wild politics, sci-fi and T & A combined with a quirky, confusing post-Neal Adams art style but the fact that it was held up as the next step in comics evolution --an adult comic to rival Maus, Robert Crumb, Love and Rockets, etc.  All of these claims have dated, in a way.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L