superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:35:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would PC Supes stand for in "Civil War"  (Read 16744 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 12:20:24 AM »

Other stuff just doesn't fit either. Homosexuality may make for great reading in a serious work like "Stuck Rubber Baby," but making Batwoman a lesbian is obviously a cheap marketing ploy that makes comics that much more inappropriate for kids and trivializes whatever "message" the writers might want to send about sexual identity in America.

Well, I guess gay kids need role models, but who are we fooling? That is not why they made her gay, they did it to appeal to older guys who would get off at the idea of seeing a lipstick lesbian in a skin tight black costume beating up men and making them beg for mercy then making out with other comic book women. Yes, gay kids are not their target audience to be sure. It's just pure exploitation just like most straight female characters in comics for that matter and any non-white human hero. Note that they can never just be a hero but instead far too much of their gimmick and stories tend to focus on them not being white. It's all very, very heavy handed.

Similarly, women may be murdered and crammed in refrigerators in crime novels, but do we need it in a superhero comic? Does anyone really think having Sue Dibny raped and killed makes Elongated Man a more "believable character"?

Losers who couldn't get a date if their life depended on it much less with a woman who looks anything like those in comics, really seem to like those stories. Same goes for the writers who write them, same people but they just have soapboxes to bore and disgust us with.

Don't get me wrong now, I believe in freedom of speech and expression, people can make any kind of comic that they want, no matter how sick it is, it's fine by me, LOL, but I don't want to see that in a kid comic.

That's right iron agers, superheroes are suppose to be for kids, every single hero from the golden age and sliver age were all created for children to enjoy. They have all been hi-jacked by people who are ashame at what they are (kids's comics) so they try to make them into something they are not (adult comics).

Comics are at their best when they are comics! Not when they are trying hard to be a film or novel. I think that the current trend of never using thought balloons and special effects words (BAM! POW! and the like) and narrator text boxes, is pretty sick as is the fact that when a COMIC BOOK is made into a movie, the Comic book companies go out of their way to make sure that during interviews that no one calls them comic books but rather Graphic Novels, even if they are regular issues. Some people have gone so far as to remove the supersuits of Superheroes and make them act non-heroic to try to hide the fact that they are suppose to be superheroes!

Comic books and superheroes are suppose to be fun, but just try and post that : Comic Books and Superheroes are suppose to be fun at any comic board on-line besides this one and watch the huge flame war begin, and you might get banned for being a "troll", LOL, don't believe me, just try it!

OK, I can go on forever, so I'll just stop here.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 12:54:38 AM »

LOL!  :wink:
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 01:14:33 AM »

As a Black gay guy, seeing racism/homophobia/environmentalism etc. dealt with in comics (however superficially) never bothered me, and I'm glad to see more gay and lesbian characters appearing in mainstream superhero books (including the Pied Piper in "Flash" and, to stay on-topic, Maggie Sawyer in the Superman titles---one of Byrne's admittedly few worthwhile additions to the mythos...). Still, I have to agree with Super Monkey---I fear Batwoman's situation will be more of the "huh, lesbians are hot, dude" treatment than the "well developed characters who happen to be gay" treatment seen in comic strips such as "Dykes to Watch Out For", judging from DC's tone of late (and the media hype over her lesbianism).

Oh, yeah, I hate the "text boxes replacing thought balloons" bit too. Who the heck is Superman talking to when we see the text boxes---Krypto? Lois? A Superman robot? He doesn't seem to be writing a letter or in his diary, either (the other use for such boxes traditionally). It makes the characters look like they're nuts or talking to themselves or breaking the fourth wall or something...

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 08:31:09 AM »

I agree that the new incarnation of Batwoman seems to be a total cash-in; it's noteworthy that there seem to be more female gay characters in mainstream comics than male ones, presumably because they represent a heterosexual male fantasy. It's sad that often, gay characters seem to be created with the specific point of being gay, much like many black characters were created just for tokenism (I wonder what the pitches are like for characters like that: "Okay, get this - he's a superhero, but he's, like, black! High concept, huh?").

Oddly enough, I wonder if a scene in a recent issue of The Flash doesn't obliquely reference the new Batwoman: Flash is in a bar with a friend, watching two girls making out on the dance floor. When his friend suggests they pick them up, the Flash is confused: aren't they gay? "No, man, they're only doing it to get us interested!"

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2006, 08:39:53 PM »

I think that writers instead of trying making the minority happy(and i respect this,but giving them secondary character as a role model doesn't work)they must try making the readers,all of them,happy with real GOOD stories,and not some junk,like that we have read in these years.Sometimes the simpler truth are the hardest one to catch....

S!  S!  S!

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2006, 08:26:56 PM »

And DC is marketing her as a "lipstick lesbian" in interviews. What does that even mean? Would a lesbian without lipstick be less marketable?  :?

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2006, 09:36:46 PM »

I actually know a woman who describes herself as a "lipstick lesbian". I have to confess I don't know what she means. She lives with another woman and appears to drink a lot; also she is given to tantrums. I try to avoid her, but it's always hard since we have a lot of friends in common.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2006, 10:02:29 PM »

Quote from: "Permanus"
She lives with another woman and appears to drink a lot; also she is given to tantrums.

A perfect choice to be a modern day comic hero then.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L