superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:03:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Krypton Chronicles... Should it be Canonical?  (Read 7754 times)
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 02:43:24 AM »

I enjoyed "Secret Years" (Kurt Schaffenberger inking Curt Swan---nice blend of the two artists), though still not gotten the chance to read "The Day Superboy Became Superman" (the second version of the three "how Superboy became Superman" stories told over the years) from the early 70's... and not seen it reprinted anywhere...

TELLE
Supermanica Council
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 11:58:26 PM »

I knew there had to be some more college stories out there!  Now we can finish that section of the Superman/Superboy entry.

Everything you ever wanted to
know about the classic Superman:
Supermanica
The Encyclopedia of Supermanic Biography!
(temporarily offline)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 12:39:05 AM »

I think that Gangbuster added a lot of that stuff already...I know that I hated it so much that it made me look up the Superman Secret Years links on the internet...

I still think the entry needs to balance it out with the many tales of leaving Smallville to become Superman and the fact that he had a very classic adventure with Lori Lemaris in college as Superman...
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 07:28:05 PM »

I liked Superman: The Secret Years...as a Superboy story. That's basically what it is. As for Lori Lemaris, the series basically just assumes that you know the story and focuses mostly on Clark and his roommates.

The major differences? In the 1985 series, Curt Swan redrew the famous "kiss between a mermaid and a Superman" panel and changed Superman to Superboy. He was retconned to have become Superman at the end of his junior year, to accommodate both stories that showed him as Superman in college, and the ones that showed him as Superboy in college. However, I doubt this had much to do with the Superboy TV series; it didn't come out until 3 years later, and the next Superboy comic series didn't come out for 5 more years.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 07:50:01 PM »

Yeah, but it doesn't handle the fact that Lori called him Superman in college and that he had a very private relationship with her, without another room mate meeting her at the same time...there are other things I don't like about the story, the hippie-look room mate who gets paralyzed, yet another person who knows his identity (the whole tone and look of the story takes Superboy to an even younger historical period than he had slid and slid to), and it ignores all the references to Clark becoming Superman when he leaves Smallville for good, at his father's request...but, hey we all have likes and dislikes...
jamespup
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 12:25:06 PM »

Of course....there are multiple "realities" within even the same existence
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L