superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:06:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outraged!  (Read 9771 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 02:04:32 PM »

It's so bad it was never released on DVD, but you can buy the VHS for about 88 cents at Amazon, a bit over priced but if you really want to see it...

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 09:18:44 PM »

Here's the amazon link, along with more reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0790733269/theamalgamatronA/

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 09:50:01 PM »

I rented this movie after it came out. I have several problems with it. The first is Steel's origin.

Steel's origin is thus: John Henry (throwback to Lowther novel!) is an engineer, but makes some bad weapons and feels guilty. He quits and works construction. He falls off a girder to certain doom, but Superman grabs his hand. He lives, and then decides to wear a red cape and fight the military-industrial complex that is now marketing his weapons to street gangs...in honor of Superman!

However, in this movie, there is no mention or appearance of Superman. Therefore, it is all a silly dream, because without Superman Shaq should theoretically go splat on the pavement. The worst thing about most comic book movies is that no attention is paid to the origin of the character in question.

2) The claim that "heroes don't come any bigger." Ever heard of Apache Chief? Giant Man? Paul Bunyan? Clifford the Big Red Dog, perhaps? Bah!

3) Like every NBA player...wait. Like every good athlete, including Dean Cain, Shaquille O'Neal cannot act. The exception is Sean Connery, of course...but his League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie equally sucked when compared to the comics version.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

SuperGirl Returns
Superman Fan

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 10:27:37 PM »

Thx a lot for the information, guys.. indeed, i never heard of this movie before..  and I abstain from seeing this crap ..   :?
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 12:07:21 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
3) Like every NBA player...wait. Like every good athlete, including Dean Cain, Shaquille O'Neal cannot act. The exception is Sean Connery, of course...but his League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie equally sucked when compared to the comics version.

Bah!  There's lots of good athletes who can act -- the dancers and acrobats, martial artists, etc.  Heck, Superman's initial build was based off of Douglas Fairbanks.  

But, if you want to limit this to traditional pro sports, Mark Harmon's done a number of good acting stints on TV.  He was in the running to play Captain Marvel on the '70s TV show.  Bernie Casey's a decent actor and Pro Bowler.  

I'd totally agree with you if you were just talking NBA players.  Smiley
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006, 03:39:14 PM »

I was talking about NBA players (though I did like SpaceJam at the time.) But I mostly just felt the need to pick on Dean Cain.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 07:55:27 PM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"

Ow! You mentioned the film. It hurts! Don't even joke about that. I don't even know how Alan Moore makes it through the day.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 10:48:46 PM »

Dean Cain CAN act.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L