superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:01:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first Superman comic....  (Read 4276 times)
longshot7
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« on: August 09, 2006, 11:25:26 PM »

I'm having trouble figuring out the details surrounding a Superman story that was the first comic I recall owning.  

I assume that the story took place on a parallel Earth, but I'm not totally convinced it was Earth-2.  The story was about three generations of Supermen (Clark Kent, his son, and his grandson) taking on some forgotten enemy.  The crux of the story was the youngest Superman (supposedly in his teens or twenties) earning the "S" on his chest, passing some test.

I was 5 years old (about 1980) and we got the comic book at an airport newstand.  Was the story set on Earth-2, and if so, why have I never seen Clark's son & grandson's stories elsewhere?  Who was the writer and artist?  The book was some kind of anthology comic, with numerous other stories told - were they all Earth-2 stories?  Ayone know where I might be able to find a copy of this comic?

Thanks for your time.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 11:45:45 PM »

This is a 1980 comic, with the second story seeming to meet what you are describing...I think its a future "what if" type story, from Earth 1...I never read it but it came up recently in a discussion about something else...

http://www.comics.org/details.lasso?id=34900
longshot7
Jimmy Olsen Fan Club

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 12:05:56 AM »

Yes!  That appears to be the story.  It must've been reprinted in that anthology book.  It appears that Superman 2020 wasn't as popular as hoped - his appearances, as noted by the GCD database, only number 6 - Superman 354 was his first appearance and Superman 368 his last.

I'd always assumed it was an alternate Earth story.  Wonder if it made the list of the retcon alternate earths, like all the other Silver-Age Imaginary Stories in the Crisis compendium.

Thanks!
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 06:52:06 AM »

The Superman 2020 stories were just backups, usually 8 pages in length, and were notable for at least one thing: the fact that the young Superman callously killed off his alternate identity in his first appearance, preferring instead to have multiple identities for some reason. Personally, preferred the Bruce (Superman) Wayne backup stories.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 09:12:27 PM »

And here's a scene from Superman 354:

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
MichaelBailey
Superman Emergency Squad

This Ain't No Sippin' Tea

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 02:38:29 AM »

Weird, I literally just read those issues.

Interesting stuff.

"I now own well over 13,000 comic books.  Most people would call this a hobby.  I prefer to call it was it actually is; a hopeless addiction." -MRB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L