superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:07:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman #655: A Review  (Read 9858 times)
BMK!
Superman Family

« on: August 12, 2006, 12:58:04 AM »

First off, let’s give credit where credit is due…

Superman #655
“Cold Comfort”
By Kurt Busiek & Carlos Pacheco
Jesus Merino*Inker
Dave Stewart*Colors
Comicraft*Letters
Nachie Castro*Associate Editor
Matt Idelson*Editor
Created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster

The Skinny: (As Non-Spoiler as possible)

Clark Kent recalls his recent meeting with the new CEO of LexCorp as he travels with a contingent of reporters to Kazakhstan to attend a press conference held by Callie Llewellyn, an arcanobiologist with ties to Kent’s past. But disaster strikes from the heart of the former Soviet science center that lies South of Ayaguz, forcing the hand of the mighty Man of Steel as he must now contend with…Subjekt 17!!! Plus…a DC guest-star, at a different point in his life, must soon get involved in their battle before the consequences for the world become too great!

My Review:

Kurt Busiek knocks another solid issue out of the park for me! Without spoiling anything, I thought the character interactions were spot-on, especially when concerning the shared history between Superman and the new head of LexCorp. I cannot wait to see how things develop. We’re also treated to a little sci-fi mystery in the form of Subjekt 17. Who or what is Subjekt 17, you say? You’ll have to read the issue to find out, but from the looks of the devastation caused and the strewn bodies everywhere, it can’t be anything good! I was also surprised to see our guest-star within these pages, especially since he’s in a different time in his life, and how the appearance will affect our hero. The artwork continues to look dynamic in this issue and even though there are other reviewers who have been mixed on the color palette used for this title, I enjoy it immensely. And for some reason I’m drawn to the way that Pacheco draws Superman’s cape, how it billows and folds. It reminds me of Don Newton during his days working on Detective Comics, back in the day. And come on, I’m just a sucker for a cover with dramatic dialogue on it. Hope they do this more often!

Next Up: Superman #656

It’s a fight to the finish! Superman’s key to victory will be deciphering his opponent’s past, but the answers will lead to even more dangerous questions for Superman.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 11:17:28 PM »

Methinks Pacheco is more a fan of Lana than Lois...  just a hunch.
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 09:47:38 AM »

Sigh. I haven't read the previous issue yet! I can't wait anymore, reading these reviews this seems one of the best modern runs!

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 03:53:34 PM »

Quote from: "Uncle Mxy"
Methinks Pacheco is more a fan of Lana than Lois...  just a hunch.

You noticed that too?  :lol:  

Lois intrepid victoria secret's reporter

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 10:30:12 PM »

I'm somewhat curious about the inspiration for Callie.  The sensationalist would've named her Chloe Sullivan.  The traditionalist in me might've snarfed a name from one of Superman's past flames (e.g. Lyla) rather than invent a new character name.

Also, the "magician from the past" element seems to have found its way into Superman as well as Samaritan at/around the same time, though for my money Infidel > Arion.  Smiley
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 08:10:11 AM »

Read it last week, at last!
A good issue, with an interesting story and great artworks. In this issue Pacheco's work seems even better than in the previous one! Look at his Lana Lang... Wow! I love her!
Wasn't Arion from some toy-related series? WARLORD, I think...
Only one thing disappoints me: at the end of the Ruin saga, it seemed that Lana and Pete could be a family again. Seeing them divorced isn't good, for me.
It's the same with Spider-Man: Peter and Mary Jane cannot split up because Spider-Man comics are (er... should be) for families, and for the publisher a divorced superhero is not a good example (even if, of course, a divorced man hasn't less dignity than the others). So, I don't like to see Superman's best friends divorced... This creates problems between Clark, Lana and Pete, while I'd like to see them more closer than before. Now for some reader Lana could be "the divorced one", and this is not good.

The problem started when in the Carlin era that marriage was approved... In those stories from the '90s, the first rule seemed to be "In the real world it would work this way". Yes, in the real world a beautiful, sweet and smart woman like Lana would find a husband, but Superman comics aren't real world...

Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 03:18:41 PM »

Quote from: "Genis Vell"
Now for some reader Lana could be "the divorced one", and this is not good.  The problem started when in the Carlin era that marriage was approved... In those stories from the '90s, the first rule seemed to be "In the real world it would work this way". Yes, in the real world a beautiful, sweet and smart woman like Lana would find a husband, but Superman comics aren't real world...

I'm not sure being divorced bear all that much stigma -- or should -- but keep in mind that Lana in the Bronze Age was not only divorced, but a mother who'd lost a child.  She married in Europe, had a child, and divorced the father after her child was killed in a terrorist incident.  She returned to Matropolis a changed woman, and that's when she became Clark's co-anchor at WGBS.

kdb
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 04:31:50 PM »

My problem with divorce in these comics is related to the fact that, for what I have noticed, in the US the divorce is still seen as a sort of curse (quite odd: you made it legal several years before us!) so, a divorced character, especially if important or related to the main hero of the series, could become very hard to use. And we are talking about Lana Lang... One character I would like to see in every page.
By the way, thank you for the explanation, I have appreciated it, but... Can you tell me more about those stories? I don't remember any marriage or unborn child, probably because those issues were released before 1975/76. I suppose are stories "forgotten" by authors and editors, just like that issue where Martin Pasko explained why nobody can understand the truth about Clark... Every explanation from you or the rest of the board is welcome!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L