superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "GENERAL DESTRUCTION!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:18:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superman #655: A Review  (Read 9853 times)
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 08:57:37 PM »

Quote from: "Kurt Busiek"
divorced the father after her child was killed in a terrorist incident.  She returned to Matropolis a changed woman, and that's when she became Clark's co-anchor at WGBS.

Matropolis:  City Of Matrimony, right?

Smiley
Sword of Superman
Superman Family

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 09:49:37 PM »

Quote from: "Genis Vell"
Now for some reader Lana could be "the divorced one", and this is not good.  The problem started when in the Carlin era that marriage was approved... In those stories from the '90s, the first rule seemed to be "In the real world it would work this way". Yes, in the real world a beautiful, sweet and smart woman like Lana would find a husband, but Superman comics aren't real world...

I'm not sure being divorced bear all that much stigma -- or should -- but keep in mind that Lana in the Bronze Age was not only divorced, but a mother who'd lost a child.  She married in Europe, had a child, and divorced the father after her child was killed in a terrorist incident.  She returned to Matropolis a changed woman, and that's when she became Clark's co-anchor at WGBS.kdb

I totally agree with Mr. Busiek,since in my opinion you can tell every kind of story in a superhero comic book just as long is treated rightly,
and maybe i'm old fashioned for saying this,but i still believe in the educational value of this media that can help kids to undertestand better moral value and social issue.

S!  S!  S!

"Since we didn't want to use our science on your world, Shayera and I decided we would fight Earth-crime with Earth-weapons. She always found it amusing that I felt so comfortable with them" - Katar Hol
Kurt Busiek
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 06:29:15 PM »

My problem with divorce in these comics is related to the fact that, for what I have noticed, in the US the divorce is still seen as a sort of curse

I don't think it is, not any more.  The last time I heard anything about divorce being a stigma was when Reagan was running for President, and it didn't hurt him any.

By the way, thank you for the explanation, I have appreciated it, but... Can you tell me more about those stories? I don't remember any marriage or unborn child, probably because those issues were released before 1975/76.

Actually, Lana returns to the cast in 1977, in SUPERMAN #317.  I don't remember when the details of why she came back from Europe came out, but I think it was sometime after that.

And it wasn't an unborn child, but a child that got killed.

I suppose are stories "forgotten" by authors and editors, just like that issue where Martin Pasko explained why nobody can understand the truth about Clark...

Rather than being "forgotten," that stuff was the reason she came back from Europe so different, with an altered personality and drive.  And a habit of calling everyone "luv."

kdb
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 11:30:18 PM »

My problem with divorce in these comics is related to the fact that, for what I have noticed, in the US the divorce is still seen as a sort of curse

I don't think it is, not any more.  The last time I heard anything about divorce being a stigma was when Reagan was running for President, and it didn't hurt him any.

In the U.S., it used to be the case that to get a divorce, you had to admit a crime or heinous act so "fault" could be assigned.  It was kind of a bogus system in the case of mutually-agreed-upon divorce, and steps were taken to correct it.  Once "no-fault" divorce emerged as an option (with Ronald Reagan leading the way as California governor), divorce became more accepted.  There's far from universal acceptance.  Parts of the U.S. with strong religious leanings still tend to look down upon the divorced.  

BTW, the legal concept of "no-fault" divorce originated in Subjekt-17's (Earthly) homeland.  I'm sure divorce law will figure prominently in Kurt's upcoming mini-series "Jimmy Olsen Goes To Law School!".  

By the way, thank you for the explanation, I have appreciated it, but... Can you tell me more about those stories? I don't remember any marriage or unborn child, probably because those issues were released before 1975/76.

Actually, Lana returns to the cast in 1977, in SUPERMAN #317.  I don't remember when the details of why she came back from Europe came out, but I think it was sometime after that.

And it wasn't an unborn child, but a child that got killed

Here's some references to it -- Lois Lane miniseries, circa late 1986:
http://politedissent.com/archives/1280
http://politedissent.com/images/jun06/lana.html
Those damned Italian terrorists...  someone must've really hated

Rather than being "forgotten," that stuff was the reason she came back from Europe so different, with an altered personality and drive.  And a habit of calling everyone "luv."

Was there mention of it earlier?  Something gnawing in the back of my mind is thinking that there was an attempt to give Lana a kid or somesuch in the comics as part of Superman III, which would've been around 1983, but I'll be damned it I remember it.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 11:44:54 PM »

sheesh... I am not a big fan of the Bronze Age.

Give me Silver Age Lana Lang anyday...

P.S. They both gain super powers in this story, if you couldn't tell.

P.S.P.S Yes.. Super Powers!

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 12:45:06 AM »

It's a post-Crisis pre-Byrne tale.  It should be safe to cast into total oblivion if one were so inclined, right along with Supergirl marrying Salkor.
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 05:29:39 AM »

Beppo, that's a fascinating Lois Lane cover.

I've been trying to figure out just who the artist was.  It looks like Kurt Schaffenburger drew Lois' face; Curt Swan drew Lana's face; Wayne Boring drew Superman's chest; and the rest is a complete mystery.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 11:17:29 AM »

Schaffenberger often drew Lois on Curt Swan covers.  I think the rest is Curt Swan, back when Curt would draw more like Boring with the barrel chest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L