superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:08:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I hate comedy in superhero comics  (Read 6187 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 01:02:05 AM »

Well, Captain Marvel is suppose to be funny, but not in a "row, row, row your boat" kind of way. But rather in the use of irony, which is much harder to write.

I take it this isn't the thread to cry out SPOOOOON!? Or praise the virtues of folks like Dan Slott?

The tick is great, I love the tick!

What this thread is about is when writers take characters who are suppose to be serious and turn them into clowns and foolish morons for laughs which are not even that funny to begin with.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 02:48:40 AM »

I enjoy reading about/watching humorous superheroes (the Tick, Underdog, etc.), or even humor within superhero comics (I haven't read the original JLI "humor" run, but did think Formerly Known as the JL was funny)... if nothing else, today's comics seem rather humor*less*, as noted above.

DoctorZero
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 04:32:30 PM »

A lot of humor books don't work, mainly because it's hard to maintain the humor all throughout the book on a regular basis.  Most attempts at Plastic Man in his own series haven't been especially funny at all.  I agree, Giffen's Justice League not only wasn't funny but it ruined certain characters.  Likewise, his Defenders was a waste.

Gerber kept the idea of a non formal team for the Defenders and moved away from Namor and Doctor Strange.  He kept the Hulk because they needed a powerhouse on the team.  The concept was solid, in that the Defenders were a group of heroes who you wouldn't expect to see in a team.  That's still a solid concept and I wish they would do it right.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L