superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:00:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Superman can teach Captain Marvel  (Read 24331 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2006, 01:08:03 PM »

Quote from: "Permanus"
I'd never heard about Cap being modelled on Fred Mac Murray, and I'll be goshdurned if it didn't hit me like a ton of bricks. No doubt about it, they're dead ringers.

I'd give my eyeteeth to know who Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner is based on! Ditto for the equally weird looking Curt Swan version of Lex Luthor.

Though I have heard that Gil Kane based the appearance of Hal Jordan on Paul Newman. This makes sense; of all the Silver Age heroes, Green Lantern seemed the best-looking. He wasn't a muscled lumberjack type like Superman or Batman; he was more kind of Greek. Nobody ever drew GL the way Gil Kane did, for sure.

Sting was the inspiration for John Constantine, though that should be especially obvious.

I can't confirm this, but I heard somewhere that Cosmic Boy's appearance was originally based on the pop star, Fabian.

Tinkerbell, too, was based on Marylin Monroe's measurements. And there was a rumor that Dr. Evil from AUSTEN POWERS, at least in personality was a parody of Lorne Michaels.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Dial H For Hero
Supermen of America

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2006, 05:18:03 PM »

I have to admit that Mr. Tawny was a big reason why I never fully appreciated Captain Marvel. The character himself was great, but his world just seemed ridiculous to me. That may sound arbitrary, considering how silly Superman comics sometimes were in the '50s and 60s, but Captain Marvel always was a little too kiddified for my tastes. A slightly more adult version, still infused with a sense of whimsy, would work just fine. It would be a shame for the character to go to waste.
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2006, 05:34:20 PM »

By the 60s, DC also had the advantage of multiple titles, Action, Adventure, Superman, Jimmy Olsen, and Lois Lane, so you could take your pick of what kind of situation you wanted Superman or his friends to get into...it was almost like "cable TV" for comics...personally, what I looked for was if Superman was behaving like Superman no matter how the rest of the story was playing out...
Great Rao
Administrator
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2006, 09:54:47 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
Ditto for the equally weird looking Curt Swan version of Lex Luthor.

To me, Swan's Luthor looks a lot like Lyle Talbot's portrayal of the character in the Kirk Alyn Superman serial.  Not just Luthor's bald head, but also his face, expressions, and personality.

S!

"The bottom line involves choices.  Neither gods nor humans have ever stood calmly in a minefield forever.  Good or evil, they are bound to choose.  And when they do, you will see the truth of all that motivates us.  As a thinking being, you have the obligation to choose.  If the fate of all mankind were in your hands, what would your decision be?  As a writer and an artist, I've drawn my answer."   - Jack Kirby
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2006, 07:05:45 PM »

Speaking of which, do we have a date yet for when those are coming out on DVD? I borrowed part of the Atom Man serial from a friend, but it pales in comparison to the radio adventure of the same name...

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Gernot
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2006, 11:24:56 AM »

Yes, Gangbuster, we DO!  The OTHER Superman site posts the date as November 28th, 2006!  Just in time for you guys to all chip in and get my Christmas gift!   :lol:

Here's the link:  

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=2603

Gernot...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L