superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "SONG OF THE EARTH!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:01:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Super-Acquisitions  (Read 11916 times)
Continental Op
Superman Family

« on: August 19, 2006, 09:21:01 PM »

I just scored a nice haul of back issues a couple of weeks ago at Wizard World and I still haven't had time to read most of them even though I'm itching to do so.

The Superman oriented stuff looks like a lot of fun. Not necessarily the greatest stories ever, but a lot of cool explorations of the Super-mythos.

Anybody have fond memories of any of these?

ACTION COMICS # 352 (second part of the Zha-Vam trilogy- now it's complete!); 364, 365, 366 (the "Superman is dying from Virus X" mega-parter); 395 (another "lost love" of Superman's); 426; 489-490 (first two of a neat Brainiac trilogy by Cary Bates that I needed to complete).

ADVENTURE COMICS # 306 (The Substitute Legion debuts!), 314 (Superboy is mind-controlled by Hitler!), 351 (one of the weirdest Legion stories ever), 369 (MORDRU THE MERCILESS!!!); 387, 388, 389 (all Supergirl stories-- a nice Luthor two-parter featuring his nephew Val, and a Brainiac two-parter that is one of the most sexist stories I've ever seen), 397, 405, 423 (from the very odd Mike Sekowsky era of Supergirl).

ALL-STAR COMICS # 62, 65, 71 (the 1970s revival of the Justice Society, featuring a very cool version of Earth-Two's Superman by Paul Levitz, Keith Giffen and Wally Wood)

JIMMY OLSEN # 125 (oddball story- aren't ALL of Jimmy's oddball though? Even a cameo by the Joker); 138 (slowly acquiring ALL of the Kirby issues!)

LOIS LANE # 114; 118; 123 (bought these mainly because I'm trying to pick up most of the earlier 1970s appearances of Rose and the Thorn)

SHOWCASE #99 (Power Girl)

STRANGE SPORTS STORIES #1 (rare non-superhero art by Curt Swan in the 1970s)

SUPERBOY # 184; 236

NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY # 27 (SuperBOY's meeting with President Kennedy)

SUPER FRIENDS # 21, 42, 43 (vastly underrated writer E. Nelson Bridwell keeping the spirit of the Silver Age JLA alive in the early 1980s)

SUPERMAN # 229 (one of the last hurrahs of Superman's Silver Age); 246; 357 (Vartox); 368 (conclusion of a Revenge Squad multi-parter with Superman brainwashing himself to go undercover as a lizard-alien)

SUPERMAN FAMILY # 198, 210 (bought these just for the "Mr. and Mrs. Superman" stories. Why did DC have to kill those two?)

WORLD'S FINEST COMICS # 131, 135 (awesome Dick Sprang art, plus appearances by Thor and the "Crimson Avenger"); 159 (yes, it's available on the website but I wanted a copy!); 274

Also picked up a nice batch of other great titles, but I'm finding it just too expensive to get the older stuff I want these days. Silver Age comics are reaching what used to be Golden Age prices when I started collecting years ago, and I just can't afford it anymore unless I find real bargains.
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 11:59:44 PM »

>>
ADVENTURE COMICS # 306 (The Substitute Legion debuts!), 314 (Superboy is mind-controlled by Hitler!)<<

How'd Hitler do that? Guessing not with an Earth-1 Spear of Destiny (though that was a 70's-era revelation anyway)...

>>351 (one of the weirdest Legion stories ever), 369 (MORDRU THE MERCILESS!!!); 387, 388, 389 (all Supergirl stories-- a nice Luthor two-parter featuring his nephew Val, and a Brainiac two-parter that is one of the most sexist stories I've ever seen), 397, 405, 423 (from the very odd Mike Sekowsky era of Supergirl).
<<

What was the Brainiac story about (and what made it so sexist)?

>>ALL-STAR COMICS # 62, 65, 71 (the 1970s revival of the Justice Society, featuring a very cool version of Earth-Two's Superman by Paul Levitz, Keith Giffen and Wally Wood)
<<

DC just released a TPB of the Justice Society that reprints most of the All-Star Comics run of the 70's plus DC SPeical #29 (their origin), which I plan on buying (though my local shop seems either unaware of this TPB or doesn't have it...).

>>SHOWCASE #99 (Power Girl)

I have this one (and the other Power Girl Showcase issues)...

>>NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY # 27 (SuperBOY's meeting with President Kennedy)

I have this one too (plus the lead-in story for it in #26)...

>>SUPERMAN FAMILY # 198, 210 (bought these just for the "Mr. and Mrs. Superman" stories. Why did DC have to kill those two?)

Good question... Undecided

>>Also picked up a nice batch of other great titles, but I'm finding it just too expensive to get the older stuff I want these days. Silver Age comics are reaching what used to be Golden Age prices when I started collecting years ago, and I just can't afford it anymore unless I find real bargains.<<

THink it depends on the Silver Age comics in question, but yes, they're getting more expensive (as it retreats further into the past). Though the 70's/80's stuff is often still fairly cheap (I got a lot of my "New Adventures of Superboy" run for $1-$1.50 per issue at a used bookstore downtown that sells old comics for cheap...).

JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 01:18:12 AM »

Quote from: "Continental Op"
ADVENTURE COMICS #351 (one of the weirdest Legion stories ever)

Oh, now that was a great Legion story! You just can't go wrong with the Shooter/Swan Legion. My all time favorite moment was when they were trapped in a metal cage created by a robot's fingers, and Matter Eater Lad EATS his way out, saying "Those ROBOT FINGERS were just as tasty as ladyfingers!"

And of course, we have the "arm" puns with Lightning Lad. His artificial arm is melted, but he gets zapped in the other and says "No! I've been totally DISARMED!"

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...get it? It's funny because he's handicapped!

The greatest line ever written was in that story: "That energizer has given me a special power!" "Jumping Jupiter, he's growing horns!" "Yes, and not ordinary horns, either! They can shoot out BLASTS OF DARKNESS!"

I did love the foreshortening about the upcoming death of Ferro Lad. My question is, though...we didn't get to see what the Hag predicted was going to be Cosmic Boy's fate, that was supposedly "so horrible it can never be seen!"

QUESTION: why do parents name their children "Evilo?" What, did the King and Queen of Tartarus already name their first born Hitler-Hussein?

This story also features the only occasions where Color Kid's astonishingly useless ability (even by the low, low standards of the Substitute Legion) comes in handy: he turns the earth's Green K to Red K.

Though surely Superboy's powers can be put to better use than surreptitiously erasing caricatures of his teacher. Someone drew a humorous drawing of a teacher? SUPERBOY MUST STOP THIS!

Also: is it just me, or is Night Girl the best looking chick in the 30th Century? Hotcha-cha!

SUPER FRIENDS # 21, 42, 43 (vastly underrated writer E. Nelson Bridwell keeping the spirit of the Silver Age JLA alive in the early 1980s)  

Hear-hear! E. Nelson Bridwell was a talent, that's for sure. His greatest work, I think, was SUPERMAN SPECIAL #3 (1985), which features Superman battling against Amazo (perhaps the definitive Superman/Amazo fight), and the Elongated Man backup stories in DETECTIVE COMICS (much better than the John Jones backups, which felt like Superman tales...but the ones in JIMMY OLSEN or LOIS LANE instead of Edmond Hamilton's). Nelson Bridwell's Elongated Man stories had a mystery, AND they had things like Elongated Man stretching his finger around a villain several times, saying "I just caught this guy with ONE FINGER!" Unlike other girlfriends, Sue was a legitimate part of the Elongated Man story, sort of his sidekick, playing the "Doctor Watson" role when mysteries strike.

E. Nelson Bridwell's SUPER FRIENDS was a lot of fun. It feels strange to say this, but my favorite part were the Wonder Twins and their monkey. On the television show, they were nitwits whose general job was interfering with natural selection. On the other hand, in the cartoon, they were treated more like the less-powerful members of the Legion of Super-Heroes: as a surprising and undervalued part of the team, that unlikely circumstances make their otherwise limited powers the most valuable of all.

The space monkey, too, was treated more like an animal under E. Nelson Bridwell. It reminded me less of the cute talking animals from Disney films, more like the animal heroes from things like WHITE FANG and THE CALL OF THE WILD. There was one story where the monkey performed robberies for a superfoe, but even after the enemy was caught, he still demanded to be fed for stealing, because "he's just a monkey that's learned a trick...he doesn't know what he did was wrong."

Plus, it was worth reading these to hear Superman shout "STRIKE, SUPER FRIENDS!"

Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"
How'd Hitler do that? Guessing not with an Earth-1 Spear of Destiny (though that was a 70's-era revelation anyway)...

What was especially funny is that this isn't the first time Hitler's tried to put his brain in a member of the Superman family. There was a Legion story where Hitler was able to place his mind into Supergirl. Man, sometimes Supergirl's stories feel like a submarine, travelling into the unconscious mind of a sex deviant.

Quote from: "Johnny Nevada"
THink it depends on the Silver Age comics in question, but yes, they're getting more expensive (as it retreats further into the past). Though the 70's/80's stuff is often still fairly cheap (I got a lot of my "New Adventures of Superboy" run for $1-$1.50 per issue at a used bookstore downtown that sells old comics for cheap...).

Well, it all depends. I was able to complete my run on early-seventies gem SON OF SATAN for less than a dollar an issue. And most of my Silver Age Legion stuff barely set me back $2 or less a book, though I was willing to take them a little "loved" (e.g. beat up).

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Aldous
Superman Squad

Downunder

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 01:42:28 AM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
You just can't go wrong with the Shooter/Swan Legion.

Yes, I really like those comics as well.

and I still haven't had time to read most of them even though I'm itching to do so.

Which makes me wonder when and where you read your comics, because for me reading a comic is a way to relax with something undemanding, maybe with a coffee on a weekend afternoon if I have some spare time, and if I'm not in the mood for the newspaper or a book.

Or do you sit down with a stack of comics determined to get through them all because they need to be read?
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 07:26:06 AM »

"Blast of darkness", eh? Isn't that a Joseph Conrad novel?

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 10:20:37 AM »

Quote from: "Permanus"
"Blast of darkness", eh? Isn't that a Joseph Conrad novel?

I love that Prince Evilo felt the need to explain that they weren't ORDINARY horns, either. That in and of itself really just gives you a feel for how messed up the 30th Century is, that in order for a grown man with horns to stand out, the horns have to fire BLASTS OF DARKNESS!

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 12:27:18 PM »

"And not just ordinary horns! I can gore people with these!"

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 12:52:10 PM »

Quote from: "JulianPerez"
I love that Prince Evilo felt the need to explain that they weren't ORDINARY horns, either. That in and of itself really just gives you a feel for how messed up the 30th Century is, that in order for a grown man with horns to stand out, the horns have to fire BLASTS OF DARKNESS!

<laughs>  That overrationalization (maybe there's a better word for it?) was part of lots of Silver Age DC.  Perhaps the most notable example of this is Superman explaining why he can't marry Supergirl.  It's an aspect you don't find in most Silver Age homages.  

Quote from: "Aldous"
Which makes me wonder when and where you read your comics, because for me reading a comic is a way to relax with something undemanding, maybe with a coffee on a weekend afternoon if I have some spare time, and if I'm not in the mood for the newspaper or a book.

Or do you sit down with a stack of comics determined to get through them all because they need to be read?

I rarely know how addicted I'll be to a particular work until I start doing it, so I try to slate off a decent block of free time.  "Addiction" isn't always a function of quality, either.  Some stuff is quite good and enjoyable, but I don't get addicted and can read (or watch) in nibbles and bits.  Other stuff is mediocre or downright bad but irresistable, and I must know how it ends once I pick it up.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L