superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes Newton<Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:59:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cover to JLA #1 and line-up revealed! (spoilers)  (Read 10312 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 01:34:16 AM »

oh... what?!?

Anyway, the other guy is Black Vulcan, whatever happen to him, or DC doesn't own him?

Who owns him, WB?

But, WB owns DC.

so... you know, ....

READ THIS:

In the seventies, when you were black, your super hero name needed to remind us. If Captain America was black, he wouldn't have been a captain. They would have called him Blackman America and he would have only fought crime in discos. Black Manta was just "Manta" for a few seasons before the writers found out the guy in the middle of the submarine wreckage was black.

The white Super Friends all had names that described their powers. Aquaman, Batman, Hawkman, Flash... you kind of had an idea what their powers were even before they announced them outloud every time they used them. But anyone ethnic got named after the country they're from or what color they were. If Apache Chief was white, he'd be Grow Man or Large Lad. And Samurai? He wasn't a Samurai. That doesn't mean anything, it's just the only Japanese word they knew. It's like naming Batman "Cowboy" or naming Green Lantern "Baseball Player." They named the Mexican Super Friend "El Dorado." That was a city made out gold. Yeah, it sounds Mexican, but it's nonsense. If the Super Friends hired a Swiss guy, you know they'd name him Hot Chocolate. If a black guy hadn't already taken it, of course.

NOW READ THE REST: http://www.seanbaby.com/superfriends/bvulcan.htm

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Michel Weisnor
Action Ace

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 01:54:19 AM »

Quote from: "Super Monkey
[quote
Vixen

:?:  :?:  :?:  No clue as to who this is

Arsenal

:?:  :?:  :?: No clue as to who this is
[/quote][/quote]

Vixen's comic appearances were as a member of the JLE (or I) and Ostrander's Suicide Squad. Again, taking a nod from Justice League Unlimited cartoon, she returns to the JL lineup.

Arsenal is the 90's name of Speedy, Green Arrow's sidekick. I don't know which writer cleverly called him Arsenal but I guess it's better than Speedy.

"Truth, Tolerance, and Justice"
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 04:10:17 AM »

IIRC, Vixen was introduced during the "Justice League Detroit" era, as one of the newcomer members (along with the likes of Gypsy and Vibe).

Black Manta was *always* known as "Black Manta" since his comic book introduction in the 60's; it was a late 70's story (IIRC the one with the death of Aquababy) that revealed he was African-American.

Arsenal is Speedy's 90's-given name, as noted above. Though from that cover, it looks like he's been popping steroids like candy or something... :-p

JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 05:17:57 AM »

Quote from: "SuperMonkey"
It does feel good reading that, huh?

While I'm a big Silver Age Hal Jordan fan, I rather liked that Kurt Busiek during his run used John Stewart as the League's Green Lantern. Because there was a point that at any given time you could read about all four of the earthling Green Lanterns: Hal Jordan was in GREEN LANTERN, John was in JLA, Kyle Rayner was getting his own book, and Guy was in that (gag) Giffen tribute book.

Though strange that they'd have Hal and not his best pal Arrow. Those two had chemistry!

I don't know too much about him other than he looks cool.

He does look cool, doesn't he? Dick Dillin did some good work with the character, though I like his later yellow-and-red redesign better than the purple underwear version. Red Tornado was one of the last creations of Gardner Fox in the Summer of 1968 JLA/JSA Team-Up, before Fox left JUSTICE LEAGUE in 1968, replaced by some obscure little wunderkind named Dennis O'Neil.

Red Tornado was an android built by T.O. Morrow - he actually has inside of him a tornado elemental, and if you bang him up too badly (as happened in the Busiek JLA) the tornado busts loose!

Red Tornado has the usual android problems: trying to fit in, alienation, and a desire to learn about humanity. Some have said he (along with Karate Kid) are among the first DC characters to really have a distinctive personality. He also has a human identity,

I am pretty sure the cartoon led to this  

I doubt it. Remember, Meltzer has said that his favorite period in League history is the Sattellite Era (who can blame him? Cheesy ) and the person that introduced Hawkgirl into the League was Steve Englehart back in his brief, extraordinary run in 1977. Also, Hawkgirl was a leaguer without her hubby as far back as Conway's JLA #176 (1980).

No clue as to who this is  

Vixen certainly is deserving of a historical footnote, as she was the first black member of the Justice League!

I can understand why you don't remember the character; she was introduced in the latter age of the Gerry Conway sattellite era, a thoroughly unremarkable period (and one that was followed by the "Aquaman and the Outsiders" League period, which somehow felt worse). She was not a member during very interesting times. Still, she's a pretty girl, and she has pretty decent powers (animal mimickry), so it's rather cool of an idea to have her on the team.

Black Lightning

Fun fact: Black Lightning was the first person to TURN DOWN Justice League membership all the way back in the late seventies/early eighties.

I guess he's had time to think it over and has changed his mind. A good choice - the character is pretty interesting.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 05:35:25 AM »

I'm recently finding Black Lightning interesting not because I remember him (that was a good 6 or 7 year after I stopped following comics) but because of the Static Shock parallels, his second wave of aggression against the 100 (I think it would be interesting to see how the 100 and Intergang split up the same turf) and becaue many of his short-lived books took place in Metropolis and had Superman characters in them (Clark at WGBS, Inspector Henderson, Jimmy Olsen, etc)...
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 05:39:49 AM »

The Red Tornado, I don't agree is really that nuanced, I remember reading his JLA/JSA stories when they came out and his wailing about not fitting in didn't ring that genuine and he was often duped into performing a mechanized role, like being a cosmic "tuning fork" between Earth 1 and Earth 2...
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 12:24:18 PM »

The reason for Black Vulcan in the Superfriends was because of rights contention between Tony Isabella (creator of Black Lightning) and DC.  Canonical irreverent information about Black Vulcan can be found at:
http://seanbaby.com/superfriends/bvulcan.htm

Despite my little joke, Static Shock is indeed independent of Black Lightning.  McDuffie actually had tried to use Black Lightning in Static Shock, but was rejected (likely because DC would've had to send more money to Isabella).
DBN
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 11:34:20 PM »

JLA #1 Spoiler

Red Tornado is no longer an android.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L