superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonK-Metal Visitor!Holliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:31:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Astronomers say Pluto is not a planet  (Read 6890 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: August 24, 2006, 08:21:17 PM »

Time to buy new science books Wink

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/world/4138920.html

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 08:38:15 PM »

Funny you should say that.

As a kid, I once lived in a tiny town with a tiny school (it's now a post office).  The library, the auditorium and the cafeteria were all one room.  They taught grades 1-4 and each grade had exactly one room to spend the whole day in (unless there was an assembly, a meal or library time, in which case we went to the libracafetorium!).  

Anyway one day I was looking for a book in this tiny library and as usual sought out all the sci-fi stuff.  I found a book about "Planet X" and grabbed it based on the title.  When I got home I was disappointed to find it wasn't fiction, but an astronomy book about the new, exciting discovery of a ninth planet in our solar system, as yet unnamed (hence, "Planet X").

This was about 1974.  Pluto was named around 1930.  Great library, huh?

This looks like a job for...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 09:13:13 PM »

The American school system doing what it does best, being awful and embarrassing.

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 10:17:53 PM »

I actually kind of like out of date books, sometimes its interesting to read the reasoning behind science that is not that well known...I really dig geosynclinal theory in geology, pre-radiometric dating ideas on the Earth's age, and especially, early explanations for evolutionary inheritence before gene theory... Cool
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 11:20:56 PM »

yes, sure but it speaks more of the poor school system, old books at public libraries are cool, but not for school libraries who are suppose to keep current and sell off all old books, in those neat ultra cheap book sales. Smiley

- Elliot S! Maggin
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 11:43:39 PM »

I don't disagree, I went to a tiny public school myself, it did have a separate room for a library, but that was for all the kids from Kindergarten through 12th grade...I did find some pretty interesting ancient books there... Cool
Klar Ken T5477
Council of Wisdom

Metropolis Prime, NYC, NY USA

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 12:31:44 AM »

Pluto is a dog :wink:
Johnny Nevada
Last Son of Krypton

Milwaukee, WI

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 01:01:20 AM »

My school library was fairly large, but still had some old books on the shelves (such as an early 60's book on how television worked, despite being 30 years out of date by my early 90's high school years).

RE: Superman: I guess this is going to screw with any comic stories set in the future that considered Pluto a planet (Unless its planet-status got switched back ;-) ).

The only Superman story I can think of that mentions Pluto was a story where Bizarro brings Lois Lane a giant sunflower that grows there (only for its spores to wreak havoc in Lois' apartment). Can anyone think of any other stories?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L