superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonThe Krypton ChroniclesHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:44:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the World needs Superman..  (Read 4561 times)
SuperGirl Returns
Superman Fan

« on: August 24, 2006, 10:50:18 PM »

Hi, I would like you to give reasons for the tremendous success of Superman,
the comics, the movies and - of course - the TV series.

Why are you intrigued by Superman?

I will add my reasons later on.. but let's just hear what you've got to contribute to this topic.  :wink:
officespace16
Superman Fan

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 09:41:46 PM »

for one, he is the original superhero, all that superheroes should be, which leads me to the second reason, he is the most pure superhero, he stands for truth, justice and the american way, while superheroes like batman or spiderman, who do it for vengeance.

YAY!!
dmat
Supermen of America

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 01:34:55 AM »

When done right, Superman provides the reader a sense of awe and wonder, which is something comics should strive for.  Isn't that what dragged us into the hobby?  There's enough gritty realism out there.

Simply put, Superman is able to embody iconic/ideal values, wields God like powers, and yet has everyman sensibilities.  What's not to like?

Point to ponder - If I met Superman, I'd gladly shake his hand without a worry.  If I met Batman, I'd think twice about it.

Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 06:56:45 PM »

As the second poster said, Superman "stands for" truth and justice.

Superman is a symbol. An idea. He is a summation of American values. And while he spawned the whole genre of "superheroes," he really isn't one of them. I couldn't tell you what Aquaman or Plastic Man really represent, but Superman is a different matter, a character you can really get behind and believe in.

Despite being a fictional character, Superman has impacted the world in a very real way. In our world, Superman literally has fought Hitler, the KKK, and paralysis, without even really existing. That's pretty super.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

SuperGirl Returns
Superman Fan

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 01:36:48 AM »

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
As the second poster said, Superman "stands for" truth and justice.

Superman is a symbol. An idea. He is a summation of American values. And while he spawned the whole genre of "superheroes," he really isn't one of them. I couldn't tell you what Aquaman or Plastic Man really represent, but Superman is a different matter, a character you can really get behind and believe in.

Despite being a fictional character, Superman has impacted the world in a very real way. In our world, Superman literally has fought Hitler, the KKK, and paralysis, without even really existing. That's pretty super.

Well, I'm not American, so for me Superman's qualities do not really stand
for American values, but in general for "the best of humanity"-qualities.
Pure idealism and intelligence combined with enormous phsysical strength .. sometimes I think it's mainly idealism what the world lacks.

Can you explain what Superman's impact on the real world is like?
SuperGirl Returns
Superman Fan

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 01:41:53 AM »

Quote from: "dmat"
When done right, Superman provides the reader a sense of awe and wonder, which is something comics should strive for.  Isn't that what dragged us into the hobby?  There's enough gritty realism out there.

so, it is a kind of escape from reality?

Simply put, Superman is able to embody iconic/ideal values, wields God like powers, and yet has everyman sensibilities.  What's not to like?

he could be the ultimate evil with his abilities...

Point to ponder - If I met Superman, I'd gladly shake his hand without a worry.  If I met Batman, I'd think twice about it.

good point  Cheesy
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 03:59:15 AM »

I don't know, maybe its time to hear what you think...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L