superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "THE SPECIAL REPORT!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:00:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wonder Woman!  (Read 3330 times)
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« on: August 25, 2006, 07:43:27 PM »

Those Silver Age Supergirl stories have nothing on the Golden Age Wonder Woman, lots of great artwork and cool info you may have not known, well worth the read, so read it!

She wasn't jettisoned from a doomed planet, she didn't witness the brutal murder of her parents, and she was never injected with radioactive venom, but the true story of Wonder Woman's origin is one of the strangest and most fascinating of any superhero.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=8197

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 08:33:45 PM »

Which reminds me, I've lost my original collection of Trina Robbins' 1980s miniseries on WW, which was great fun.

1940s Wonder Woman must be one of the most bizarre creations of comicdom, and I wish I had a complete collection of the original stuff.

William Moulton Marston must have been the most unusual fellow to work in comics in the Golden Age, if not all time: precursor of the polygraph test and early feminist, his creation of a comics legend was almost an afterthought to his tragically brief life (he died of cancer at the age of 54).

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 09:04:34 PM »

There have been 4 volumes of Wonder Woman Archive Editions published thus far.

http://dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?cat=ARCHIVE+EDITIONS

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 12:14:19 AM »

As acid-trip odd and psychosexual as the Golden Age Wonder Womans were, for me, nothing can beat the Silver/Bronze Age Wonder Woman stuff, especially Martin Pasko's extraordinary work. His run on the character had the Fire God Vulcan, Golden Female Robots, alien chauvanists brainwashing the world's feminists, and Felix Faust bringing the Statue of Liberty come to life! To say nothing of the extraordinary story that Pasko penned with his buddy from the Fanzines, Alan Brennert, featuring the Earth-2 Wonder Woman saving earth from a scheming Egyptian villainess that had captured the male JSAers in "power pyramids."

I love Wonder Woman's "mod" secret identity that worked as a spy for the United Nations, and Doctor Cyber and her periodic grandiose schemes to steal Wonder Woman's face.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Genis Vell
Last Son of Krypton

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 05:22:42 PM »

I have never been a Wonder Woman fan.
I always considered her a bit kitsch... More than other superheroes, I mean!
By the way, I subscribed to the last ongoing series because the authors (Heinberg and Dodson) can do good things with this character. Issue #1 has been a good surprise!
Unfortunately, Heinberg will leave with issue #5. Sigh. I'll drop the series, without him.

Captain Marvel - Italian Earth-Prime Superman

...it'll be a job for Superman!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L