superman.nuMary Immaculate of Lourdes NewtonHolliston School Committeefacebook    
  •   forum   •   COUNTDOWN TO MIRACLE MONDAY: "IT'S REAL!" •   fortress   •  
Superman Through the Ages! Forum
News: Superman Through the Ages! now located at theAges.superman.nu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:49:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What supercomic should be an animated series next?  (Read 14587 times)
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« on: August 30, 2006, 07:35:30 PM »

What superhero has yet to have an animated series, but ought to?

Iron Man has had TWO animated series: one in 1966 ("A cool exec with a heart of steel - as Iron Man, all jets ablaze, he FIGHTS and FIGHTS with REPULSOR RAYS!") and another as a part of the Marvel Action Hour in the 1990s, but truthfully, Iron Man's yet to have a DEFINITIVE animated version, the way Batman has.

If we're talking a character that hasn't seen television yet, though...

How about the Black Panther?

The Panther has an incredible world: Wakanda, the Techno-Jungle, the White Gorillas, and terrific gadgets like the energy daggers and vibranium soles that let him walk up buidiongs. As he is a King, he has a very unique role that few other heroes have. He's a character that's so goshdarned COOL that it can appeal to anybody. The theme song suggests itself - a JONNY QUEST style jazz piece with heavy tribal drums.

They could do a five-part opening serial, ala GARGOYLES, where they can place side-by side the Don MacGregor JUNGLE ACTION origin of the Panther (and maybe some of the Roy Thomas AVENGERS origin), right next to a modern-day story based on Christopher Priest's first arc, with the Hatut Zeraze and their master plan to lure the Panther out of Wakanda.

And the Panther has some pretty great villains: Eric Killmonger, Klaw, the Man-Ape, the White Wolf, A.I.M...

The Panther is surrounded by a terrific supporting cast: big softy Zuri, Amazon teenage karate chick bodyguards, Monica, Everett K. Ross (the world's whitest white man) and all sorts of terrific vehicles that would make fantastic toys. I'd love to have a Prowler, his giant robot panther tank, on my desk, that's for sure. And did I mention...

...THE FLYING SUB?

NO, I DON'T THINK I DID!  Cheesy

THE BLACK PANTHER HAS A FLYING SUB.

My God, the toy possibilities. Everybody can get an action figure.

Worried about there not being enough female viewers? Ha! The Panther is one of the few legitimate, goshdarned STUDS that inhabit the adventure comics world.

You know another guy that needs an animated series, who surprisingly, hasn't gotten one?

Green Lantern!

Like the Black Panther, GL has his own very defined world that he inhabits, with very clear elements. He's got a supporting cast both human and Corps members, a very visual set of powers (one that I suspect works better in animation than in live action). Heck, they can break the show up like they did back in the day and do 15 minutes of Hal, then 15 minutes of some randomly chosen alien in some alien environment.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Gangbuster
Superman Squad

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 08:11:40 PM »

If I ruled the animated world, I would release one installment of Batman: The Long Halloween on Cartoon Theatre each month for a year. Bizarro would have his own show on Adult Swim.

I would love to see Aquaman, the Avengers, or the Spirit on TV. Although how they could pull the Spirit off, considering his sidekick, I don't know.

"Trying to capture my wife, eh? That makes me SUPER-MAD!"

-"Superman", 1960

Permanus
Superman Squad

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 08:39:41 PM »

Ant-Man. Okay, can't see many merchandising opportunities, but still! An Ant-Man cartoon, wow.

Between the revolution and the firing-squad, there is always time for a glass of champagne.
nightwing
Defender of Kandor
Council of Wisdom

Semper Vigilans

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 09:40:02 PM »

Sorry, I think SNL nailed the whole "Ant-Man" thing years ago:

"Ant-Man, huh?  So what's your super power?"
"I can shrink to the size of an ant but keep the strength of a man."
"Wow.  I guess you really whip up on the other ants, huh?"  :lol:

Honestly, I dont' see how they could get a whole series out of that guy, even though I do dig that groovy helmet.

I second the vote for Green Lantern, a concept with unlimited animation potential.  And which I seriously hope does NOT get made as a live-action comedy with Jack Black.  :shock:

I also really liked that Plastic Man pilot that showed up on the web last week.  But then I even liked the 70s Plas cartoon, bad as it was.  

Dr Strange could be fun.  I understand there's an animated film in the works.

What I'd love to see, but they'd never do it, is a period piece JSA series set in the 40s.  Nazis, mad scientists, robots...the whole ball of wax.

This looks like a job for...
MatterEaterLad
Council of Wisdom

Silver Age Surfer

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 10:14:23 PM »

As a really old guy, I tried to flex my feable super brain and remembered that there were a few Green Lantern episodes that ran as part of the Superman/Aquaman adventure hour in the late 60s...

http://www.eskimo.com/~tegan/aqua/media/tvshow.html

The theme music from the few JLA episodes always stayed with me, for some reason...
Super Monkey
Super
League of Supermen

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 11:50:49 PM »

Plastic Man got a pilot aired on Cartoon Network, sadly it did not get picked up as a series.

You can see it here: http://www.addictingclips.com/Clip.aspx?key=7E602A9F59E39B02

and you can see neat artwork from it here:
http://stephendestefano.blogspot.com/

"I loved Super-Monkey; always wanted to do something with him but it never happened."
- Elliot S! Maggin
Uncle Mxy
Superman Squad

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 03:17:21 AM »

Astro City

or, perhaps only slightly less realistically...

Spider-Girl, animated by the same team that does Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo
JulianPerez
Council of Wisdom

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 04:29:36 AM »

Quote from: "MatterEaterLad"
As a really old guy, I tried to flex my feable super brain and remembered that there were a few Green Lantern episodes that ran as part of the Superman/Aquaman adventure hour in the late 60s...

http://www.eskimo.com/~tegan/aqua/media/tvshow.html

The theme music from the few JLA episodes always stayed with me, for some reason...

Mostly what I know of the Superman/Aquaman Adventures for the brief, almost single episode Teen Titans series, featuring the original Silver Age roster: Robin, Speedy, Wonder Girl, etc.

Quote from: "Gangbuster Thorul"
I would love to see Aquaman, the Avengers, or the Spirit on TV. Although how they could pull the Spirit off, considering his sidekick, I don't know.

Astonishingly, Aquaman has had a pretty interesting animated series career; he was brought into cartoons because they felt that with his nonviolent powers and command over animals is something that the kiddies would really dig.

Quote from: "nightwing"
Sorry, I think SNL nailed the whole "Ant-Man" thing years ago:

"Ant-Man, huh? So what's your super power?"
"I can shrink to the size of an ant but keep the strength of a man."
"Wow. I guess you really whip up on the other ants, huh?"  

Honestly, I dont' see how they could get a whole series out of that guy, even though I do dig that groovy helmet.

Ha ha ha! Strangely enough, I just saw that on the SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE: 25 YEARS special just yesterday during the "hurricane." John Belushi as the Incredible Hulk is the greatest casting EVER. And check out the seventies Spider-Woman in the background on that one.

As much as I love Hank Pym (and I do) there are some characters that work because of what they bring to a team dynamic, not just for their solo appearances. Characters like Red Tornado, Elongated Man, Vision, the Scarlet Witch, as well as the Wasp and Giant-Man. If they do an Avengers series, they should definitely have Hank Pym involved.

I was recently reading the series proposal for Kurt Busiek's AVENGERS run; originally, he wanted Hank Pym and the Wasp to be members of the team instead of occasional guest-stars as they ultimately were.

Speaking of Busiek, here's one series that I'm absolutely flabbergasted that during its heyday, there was never any talk of it becoming an animated series:

THUNDERBOLTS!

A bunch of great characters with interesting powers (and an absolutely mind blowing twist ending on the first issue). It has a very strong concept, and terrific villains. True, lots of the events of 'Bolts are related to events in the Marvel Universe (e.g. Heroes Return) but that doesn't mean the stories can't work on their own, just as SPIDER-MAN 2 seemed to compress several stories in one.

"Wait, folks...in a startling new development, Black Goliath has ripped Stilt-Man's leg off, and appears to be beating him with it!"
       - Reporter, Champions #15 (1978)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CURRENT FORUM

Archives: OLD FORUM  -  DCMB  -  KAL-L